• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Curious Case of Cam Newton

Darknight

17 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Seems like right now it's sheer determination, and a strive for greatness that all these guys are feeding off each other with. They don't want to let each other down. Look at the Panthers sidelines toward the end of the games we've played, guys are completely dialed in. That tells you something.

Truthfully it may sound cliche, but I think Newton just has that win at all costs "it" factor that many great QB's before him had.

The guy at the end of the video says as much. He points to leadership and a determination to win because nobody seems to understand why someone is playing below average statistically yet is undefeated and from the eye test playing so well.

7 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

The guy at the end of the video says as much. He points to leadership and a determination to win because nobody seems to understand why someone is playing below average statistically yet is undefeated and from the eye test playing so well.

Yep.

Which makes it even more silly looking back at the "leadership" narrative that has been pushed about Newton for so long. Cam is clearly leading this team. But as Greg Olsen has previously talked about, when teammates see their quarterback literally putting it all on the line for a first down, or to reach the end zone, all on a regular basis, that transfers to the rest of the team on both sides of the ball. Those plays get the rest of the squad pumped up. Teammates will go through a wall for guys like that.

14 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Why don't they ever point out the simple explanation: 'His receivers suck, and if he had better talent, his numbers would reflect that'. Of course they're adequate for the team to be 8-0. However, they've cost Cam a lot of yards, TD's, and INT's.

Nonetheless/Saying all that: Who's to say that as Cam gains more experience with his receivers and gets better (remember he's streaky, and lately he's been a bit "down" efficiency wise) his numbers won't improve?

Newton's stats are not written in stone you know national media. LOL

13 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Yep.

Which makes it even more silly looking back at the "leadership" narrative that has been pushed about Newton for so long. Cam is clearly leading this team. But as Greg Olsen has previously talked about, when teammates see their quarterback literally putting it all on the line for a first down, or to reach the end zone, all on a regular basis, that transfers to the rest of the team on both sides of the ball. Those plays get the rest of the squad pumped up. Teammates will go through a wall for guys like that.

Thomas Davis said the same thing. It motivates them as well.

20 minutes ago, FootballMaestro said:

Why don't they ever point out the simple explanation: 'His receivers suck, and if he had better talent, his numbers would reflect that'. Of course they're adequate for the team to be 8-0. However, they've cost Cam a lot of yards, TD's, and INT's.

Nonetheless/Saying all that: Who's to say that as Cam gains more experience with his receivers and gets better (remember he's streaky, and lately he's been a bit "down" efficiency wise) his numbers won't improve?

Newton's stats are not written in stone you know national media. LOL

I think we are looking at 60% at best completion percentage for Cam with close to 4k yards a season through the air for the rest of his career (there might be some anomalies). Those are great numbers. Not otherworldly but great. Add in his rushing numbers and rush tds and thats what puts him in the elite category.

Cam is on pace for 4300 total yards and 40 tds without receivers and everything basically going through him (minus Jstews hard fought runs) those are incredible numbers. And we aren't exactly playing great defenses for the rest of the season.

I posted on the titans message board explaining how you can't look at Cam this season in a vacuum for his sub 55% completion percentage. I explained how Cam's rush attempts and yardage are at an all time high because of the loss of KB. I explained the drops, the volume of them and the context of them, and what Cam has had to overcome through leadership and grit. They weren't listening or giving any sort of discussion so we will let them see on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I think we are looking at 60% at best completion percentage for Cam with close to 4k yards a season through the air for the rest of his career (their might be some anomalies). Those are great numbers. Not otherworldly but great. Add in his rushing numbers and rush tds and thats what puts him in the elite category.

Cam is on pace for 4300 total yards and 40 tds without receivers and everything basically going through him (minus Jstews hard fought runs) those are incredible numbers. And we aren't exactly playing great defenses for the rest of the season.

I posted on the titans message board explaining how you can't look at Cam this season in a vacuum for his sub 55% completion percentage. I explained how Cam's rush attempts and yardage are at an all time high because of the loss of KB. I explained the drops, the volume of them and the context of them, and what Cam has had to overcome through leadership and grit. They weren't listening or giving any sort of discussion so we will let them see on Sunday.

I for one, would like to think with two good, big WR's and a supporting staff (let's say KB, Funchess, Olsen, etc.), Cam will/can run less, along with having higher passing numbers.

There's no need for him to run as much, if the team has a very solid offense. Those hits add up eventually, if you wanna extend Cam's career playing at a high level. I don't care how big and tough he is.

He's already learning to avoid sacks. So why have him do that, then have him get hit in the run game when you don't have to. Stewart and Tolbert need to "earn they money".

1 minute ago, FootballMaestro said:

I for one, would like to think with two good, big WR's and a supporting staff (let's say KB, Funchess, Olsen, etc.), Cam will/can run less, along with having higher passing numbers.

There's no need for him to run as much, if the team has a very solid offense. Those hits add up eventually, if you wanna extend Cam's career playing at a high level. I don't care how big and tough he is.

He's already learning to avoid sacks. So why have him do that, then have him get hit in the run game when you don't have to. Stewart and Tolbert need to "earn they money".

I agree he is running too much. But this is what we have to do this year.

5 hours ago, Jangler said:

^^^ I really hope Cam has been watching film of Fran and see how good he was, a great defense and qb that can move....sounds familiar. And he went to 4 Superbowls.

NOoooooo don't jinx him like that!! I use Fran Tarkenton all the time to irritate and annoy the Viqueen fans in my family. 0-4 in Super Bowls really upsets them and the only defense they have is "at least it wasn't 4 in a row like Jim Kelly" like I'm a Bills fan.

Granted I don't see as much of him as you guys but from where I'm sitting Cam is absolutely a very special player.  He seems to be able to make all the throws.  He's a big time threat with his legs and can even put his head down and run people over if need be.  And perhaps most importantly he just seems to have that "it factor" and has a knack for making plays when plays need to be made. 

I think he doesn't get put in that elite QB discussion by a lot of people simply because they don't like him for X, Y, or Z reason.  But if he keeps playing at this kind of level it will get to a point where the haters can't even deny it. 

2 minutes ago, RealisticTitanFan said:

Granted I don't see as much of him as you guys but from where I'm sitting Cam is absolutely a very special player.  He seems to be able to make all the throws.  He's a big time threat with his legs and can even put his head down and run people over if need be.  And perhaps most importantly he just seems to have that "it factor" and has a knack for making plays when plays need to be made. 

I think he doesn't get put in that elite QB discussion by a lot of people simply because they don't like him for X, Y, or Z reason.  But if he keeps playing at this kind of level it will get to a point where the haters can't even deny it. 

He can make all the throws. He can make throws that 99% of NFL qbs cannot. We have seen it. His consistency has always been an issue. Some of us believe that has a lot to do with him running. He gets tired, his mechanics suffer.

I think it's a combination of things. But he is a supremely talented football player and QB. There has never been anybody quite like him. And now that the wins are coming people are beginning to finally take notice.

6 minutes ago, RealisticTitanFan said:

Thank you for your post and respect.

49 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

W   L

8    0

As you can see in the first column, Cam's # of wins through the first 9 weeks of play is actually much higher than the league average...

WINS the thread!

I actually enjoyed the analysis jas it helped me to understand better what metrics folks typically use in ranking QBs.  It was interesting to see the grid.  But when push comes to shove those W-L numbers are all that matter right now.

Archived