• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

End of season Shula crow

Bozarden

12 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

Cam Newton, the National Football League's MVP makes players and coaches around him look good.

If any NFL Franchise is crazy enough to hire Shula as their Head coach, well good luck and God speed.

You still have to give Shula a ton of credit for making Cam look good when he wasn't ready to make an MVP run, which was every season before this one. For instance, the zone running game has benefitted Cam massively. I've seen many many good coaches take a talent like Cam and ruin him by trying to make him fit their system, instead of adapting their system to fit the players' strengths.

Some of y'all need to man up and give Shula some damn credit.

Shula has been fantastic this here, mainly because our offensive line has been so much better. We saw in the Atlanta game what Shula looks like when the o-line isn't playing well, and it's exactly what we looked like for the last several seasons. Because he doesn't adjust well to our personnel.

But that doesn't matter because we have the personnel and are the best team in NFL history.

3 minutes ago, rodeo said:

Shula has been fantastic this here, mainly because our offensive line has been so much better. We saw in the Atlanta game what Shula looks like when the o-line isn't playing well, and it's exactly what we looked like for the last several seasons. Because he doesn't adjust well to our personnel.

But that doesn't matter because we have the personnel and are the best team in NFL history.

Please name teams that could function with shitty o lines.

because patriots seriously might be one and done in the playoffs this year with the GOAT qb.

As much as I have hated Shula in the past, I have to give him some props this season, whether I like it or not. I was pretty impressed how we actually called some slants for our receivers after the long developing pass plays that led to sacks on our first drive.

Also we have to give credit to him for simplifying the playbook to give Cam the audibles and options at the line in our fast tempo offense. It seems like every time there is a stupid play or a dumb play call we all want to cut Mike Shula's head off, and to some extent I use to agree, but we aren't the #1 offense in the NFL without good reason and some of that needs to go to Shula.

6 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

. I've seen many many good coaches take a talent like Cam and ruin him by trying to make him fit their system, instead of adapting their system to fit the players' strengths.

Some of y'all need to man up and give Shula some damn credit.

So who would these QBs be with Cam's talent you've seen ruined in the NFL?

I am riveted.

20 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

Cam Newton, the National Football League's MVP makes players and coaches around him look good.

If any NFL Franchise is crazy enough to hire Shula as their Head coach, well good luck and God speed.

6473van_damme_bloodsport_blind2.gif

Just now, TheRumGone said:

Please name teams that could function with shitty o lines.

because patriots seriously might be one and done in the playoffs this year with the GOAT qb.

The Steelers have for a good while. The Patriots have won Super Bowls with them. The Seahawks don't have a very good line, either. There are ways that you can call a game to camoflauge for a bad line, we used to actually do it when we were in the hurry up with Cam calling plays at the line.

7 minutes ago, rodeo said:

Only Rodeo can troll twice in the same post.

conan-clap-gif-1414251276.gif

15 minutes ago, SOJA said:

A lot of people have elevated their game this year and Shula is one of them. But he still has one absolutely boneheaded call per game. 

Today was a designed power run for Cam when we were up 20+ points in the third quarter 

Who's to say Cam didn't call his own number there? It's impossible to know, so I'll lean toward giving Shula the benefit of the doubt.

Just now, rodeo said:

The Steelers have for a good while. The Patriots have won Super Bowls with them. The Seahawks don't have a very good line, either. There are ways that you can call a game to camoflauge for a bad line, we used to actually do it when we were in the hurry up with Cam calling plays at the line.

Cams o line at the start of last year was closest to the worst o line in NFL history if not the worst. Byron bell, a converted dt. Amini (who was recovering from a torn acl), kalil and rookie Turner/velasco. No qbs in the NFL minus tom Brady could function with that line. It was abhorrent. We as fans hope for the best but anybody without their homer glasses on could see what was coming.

RW line was on that level until they made some changes kind of like what we did last year towards the end with Remmers, Norwell and giving Turner starter snaps finally.

steelers have had a damn good o line so I don't really know what you're talking about.

tom Brady is the best at getting the ball out quick. That isn't cams game and we don't have YAC recievers 

3 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

So who would these QBs be with Cam's talent you've seen ruined in the NFL?

I am riveted.

Good grief.  Believe it or not, there have been some great players before Cam came along. Also, Cam had a much bigger learning curve than most, because  of the lack of experience in a pro style offense compared to other QB's. Shula had no choice but to be patient and groom Cam to be able to make those audibles the way he's doing this year. That is not an easy thing in this day and age where coaches are getting fired right and left. The pressure on these guys is ridiculous.

If you're looking for an example at QB though, Randall Cunningham comes to mind. Buddy Ryan would rarely let him throw which most definitely held him back.

6 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Good grief.  Believe it or not, there have been some great players before Cam came along. Also, Cam had a much bigger learning curve than most, because  of the lack of experience in a pro style offense compared to other QB's. Shula had no choice but to be patient and groom Cam to be able to make those audibles the way he's doing this year. That is not an easy thing in this day and age where coaches are getting fired right and left. The pressure on these guys is ridiculous.

If you're looking for an example at QB though, Randall Cunningham comes to mind. Buddy Ryan would rarely let him throw which most definitely held him back.

Randall Cunningham had a fine career. What else ya got?

FYI Randall and I are both from Santa Barbara.

Archived