• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Suicide Squad

scpanther22

6 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Suicide Squad is ultimately a victim of not being a Marvel film. Critics for the most part bashed Batman V Superman for its dark atmosphere

This is just wrong. Batman V Superman is just a piss poor attempt at filmmaking across the board, from the plot to the acting to the editing. That's why it was panned. Not because of it's dark atmosphere.

Nolan's "The Dark Knight" could be described as being "dark" and it received 94% on rotten tomatoes because it is a damn good movie from top to bottom.

18 hours ago, TheRed said:

So to those who have seen it, am I going to be pissed or just disappointed?

Bought tickets to see it in 3D awhile back so I may as well go.

I would say disappointed. Like I said before, I enjoyed the first half of the film.

BvS on the other hand, that movie just pissed me off, in part because I feel like Snyder ruined what could have been one of the coolest movies ever. Expectations are a bitch.

I will preface this by saying I am not a person that enjoys superhero/comic book stuff very often and I honestly knew little to nothing about any of the major characters prior to seeing this, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  

I really did want to see this though after seeing the original preview.  I was hoping for something darker like Nolan's Batman (which I loved) but it was just too cartoony for me and the plot was pretty stupid.  When it comes to things that make a film enjoyable to me, visuals are pretty low on the totem poll for me, even so I did not find these very impressive.

On the positive though, Margot Robbie was fabulous (that is one place where I will call the film "visually stunning") and it has been a while since I enjoyed a Will Smith performance so that pleased me.  I would definitely be interested in a movie with those two.

All in all I give it 6/10 (and that is with rounding up).  Without Robbie it would probably a 2 or 3

El Diablo was the one character with an actual arc. His was the most satisfying story for me personally. They really did make a poo movie in the sense that there wasn't a real story. It's a soft origin story for like 7 different character and everything just falls really flat. The editing and how the choose to introduce us to the Villians with the cartoony graphics just made me shake my head. If they were trying to setup a universe that was grounded in realism like TDK was and how they were trying with Man of Steel and BvS than they shifted to the complete opposite and gave us crap. 

David Ayer isn't a bad director. Fury and End of Watch are two amazing movies. The concept of this movie should make for an amazing movie but WB continues to fug themselves in the butt with their decisions and directions of their properties. 

13 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Suicide Squad is ultimately a victim of not being a Marvel film. Critics for the most part bashed Batman V Superman for its dark atmosphere, so Warner Bros. tried to pivot at the last minute with Suicide Squad and they got bashed again for that. When Justice League comes out and it isn’t a shot for shot remake of The Avengers then it will get slammed for that as well – and if it is a success it will be accused of stealing the Marvel formula. Having a soundtrack isn’t an exclusive right of Guardians of The Galaxy, by the way, do I need to refer anyone to The Watchmen, The Crow or just about every action movie ever made? My advice to fans and the creators of Suicide Squad is this – forget about what the critics are saying, just make up your own mind and try to let yourself have fun. When there is a half-man-half-crocodile in this film fighting alongside someone wielding a katana named Katana, you know what you are getting into. I give Suicide Squad an 8/10.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddkenreck/2016/08/05/suicide-squad-is-a-blast-but-the-reviews-are-a-dumpster-fire-of-hyperbole/#10684104bb4b

Forbes of all publications talking about the hyperbole surrounding DCU's criticisms. Although the WB micromanaged the hell out of this movie and Snyder's wife and Roven fugged up the editing for BvS, Kenrick does make a point. These films are not as bad as some critics are claiming them to be. For example, everybody chastised Incubus and Enchantress as the villains in this movie for being shallow, empty shells but why did Ronan and Malekith get a pass?

Either way, I hope Snyder, Jenkins, Affleck and Wan stay the course and just focus on editing, pacing and trimming down the scripts. DC films aren't going to be praised anytime soon. Some of the criticisms are valid but the source material is straight from the comics and the edgy, gritty angle seems to be a perfect fit for the DC universe.

Ronan gets a pass because he isn't a main part of the film. Guardians of the Galaxy is about the Guardians coming together and forming a team. 

Suicide Squad is a movie about all Villians and their main Villian that they are fighting(sucubus btw not enchantress) is a cardboard cut out. 

I saw it last night...  it was ok.  It wasn't the best movie ever, but it wasn't the worst.

As someone who never read comics I didn't really have any pre-movie expectations.  I mean I watched 'Superfriends' on Saturday mornings like all the other kids my age...

I thought the plot was very thin...  and they really had too many characters, but I'm not pissed I went to see it.

The soundtrack was good (even if they pretty blatantly ripped off Guardians of the Galaxy, if not in actual songs, in the theme)...  it was a loud movie and I always like that.

Margot Robbie was excellent and I thought Will Smith as Deadshot did a good job as well.  I'd say 6.5/10.

The fictional Sam Strange remembers the time he produced Suicide Squad, and it's hilarious:

So now it’s time to get the crew together (to the sounds of Baha Men’s “Who Let the Dogs Out”) and put explosives in their necks (to the sounds of Fiona Apple’s “Hey Guyz, We’re Gonna Blow Up Yer Headz If You Make a Break 4 It or Otherwise Give Us Any poo”).  First there’s Deadshot. He’s like really good at shooting things. Then there’s Harley Quinn. She’s nuts; you definitely don’t want to mess with her.

That doesn’t really seem like enough, so they hurry up and get some more. Soon there’s also an alligator guy. His superpower is looking like an alligator. Then there’s boomerang guy. His superpower is being able to throw boomerangs, which is hard. Then you have this guy who’s really good with ropes. And finally, there’s a dude who can control fire. He’s really the only actual meta human on the team; he could kill everyone around him in the blink of an eye if he wanted to, so I made him a conscientious objector.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/07/sam-strange-remembers-suicide-squad

Archived