• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pro Bowl replacements

JawnyBlaze

Noticed this at PFT, thought it was quite hilarious.  Only ONE originally chosen Pro Bowl QB will be playing in the Pro Bowl.  The other 5 are replacements.

QUARTERBACKS (6)
Tom Brady, New England (replaced by Jameis Winston, Tampa Bay)
Cam Newton, Carolina (replaced by Tyrod Taylor, Buffalo)
Carson Palmer, Arizona (replaced by Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota)
Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay (replaced by Derek Carr, Oakland)
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh (replaced by Eli Manning, New York Giants)
Russell Wilson, Seattle

Winston, Taylor, Bridgewater and Carr had fine years (particularly Taylor and Carr) but if one were given a list of names and the performances from the year and told these guys were going to the Pro Bowl without any knowledge of outside factors, they would probably call it a lie.  Reminds me of a few years ago when Byron Sammich got into the Pro Bowl, as well as a few other terrible QBs, because all the chosen ones were declining.

edit: here's a link http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/26/welcome-to-the-largely-replacement-pro-bowl/

Also, only one originally chosen OLB is going:

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS (6)
Jamie Collins, New England (replaced by Anthony Barr, Minnesota)
Thomas Davis, Carolina (replaced by Elvis Dumervil, Baltimore)
Tamba Hali, Kansas City
Justin Houston, Kansas City (replaced by Sean Lee, Dallas)
Von Miller, Denver (replaced by Julius Peppers, Green Bay)
DeMarcus Ware, Denver (replaced by Lavonte David, Tampa Bay)

Though I would argue the replacements in this case are MUCH more deserving than with the QBs.

A QB with 14 passing TDs in 16 games in the Pro Bowl? Seriously? I'd have to bet that many QBs who didn't get in originally also rejected being a replacement. I mean Brees, Rivers, Fitzpatrick were all better than any of those replacements, in my opinion save for maybe an argument about Carr or Taylor.

32 minutes ago, Jangler said:

64 replacements. The pro bowl is a joke. Should just be a paid vacationi to Hawaii and honorary only. Do a Roast instead.

Roast would be a good idea. It would be a great ending if they added mini games as well. 

Honestly I think they should go back to skill contest like the old QB club challenge, 40 yard dash, punters on the 50 trying to pin it, long range FG played like horse, lineman tug of wars and/or competing with a new modified hasboro "Simon says" game that could be sold in stores.  WRs have a set of 20 balls machine thrown in random patterns within a 30 yard area, RBs have a timed slalom course setup behind them and given the ball without seeing it.  

Maybe allow the defensive players to modify the slalom setup or machines set to throw or somehow change the patterns in the QB challenge.  In a fair way of course.  

You can even make it meaningful by having conference vs. Conference or division vs. Division battles.  Winnin players get a slight bonus and highest rated division earns prime time sunday and monday night division games in week 1. 

That Sunday after the probowl mini-games are done end it with a show based on the weekends events, past season highlights, and accomplishments that can be off field as well.

8 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Noticed this at PFT, thought it was quite hilarious.  Only ONE originally chosen Pro Bowl QB will be playing in the Pro Bowl.  The other 5 are replacements.

Winston, Taylor, Bridgewater and Carr had fine years (particularly Taylor and Carr) but if one were given a list of names and the performances from the year and told these guys were going to the Pro Bowl without any knowledge of outside factors, they would probably call it a lie.  Reminds me of a few years ago when Byron Sammich got into the Pro Bowl, as well as a few other terrible QBs, because all the chosen ones were declining.

edit: here's a link http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/26/welcome-to-the-largely-replacement-pro-bowl/

It's ridiculous how many guys opted out (Palmer, Brees, Rivers, etc) before they landed on Tyrod, Carr, and Jameis. 

They could easily fix this if they wanted to. The plan?

Go back to conference teams, and give an extra inter-conference home game to the winning conference. (i.e. we played the AFC South this season. If the NFC had won the pro bowl last year, 3 of those 4 games would be home games). Losing conference goes from 2 home to 1 home inter-conference game. 

AND for everyone that's about to say "the owners wouldn't give up the revenue", it's going to wash itself out if the winning conference keeps alternating. You'll have one less game one year, and one more another. If the league would ever consider changing home field to the wildcard team with a higher record instead of a bad division winner, they can certainly consider this idea. 

Hell, I don't even care if they leave the game where it is on the schedule, and the super bowl players aren't invited. Let the bounced playoff teams play together for an extra home game. I think that players would show up, AND they'd play.

Just my $.02.

Archived