• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Voth predicts Hunter Henry

Zithers

Some folks think if you don't pancake somebody or push them down the field every time, you're not a good run blocker.

Reality is "getting in the way" is often all you need.

No, it's that ideally your TE not just gets in the way, but can also hold the block and push guys off the line.  You can get by "getting in the way," but it's not what teams prefer. 

No, it's that ideally your TE not just gets in the way, but can also hold the block and push guys off the line.  You can get by "getting in the way," but it's not what teams prefer. 

Very few draft prospects do much of anything 'ideally' though.

Very few draft prospects do much of anything 'ideally' though.

But that's not the point.  The reason people talk about Henry's blocking is because right now, he more or less gets in the way.  What you want out of your TE is the ability to hold the block and help open running lanes.  Those "get in the way" blockers can be ran around, and since they don't hold up at the point, often allow the defender to get free and make a play.  Unfortunately, all around TE's are going the way of the Dodo, but that's what you hope for when you bring in a TE. 

Now, from what it looks like, Hunter has the ability to block, but he is too often pushed out of they way.  Basically, just slowing down the defender, not stopping him.  That's why he needs time in an NFL strength program.  Unlike a lot of receiving TE's, the skillset and desire is there, he just needs to improve his core.

But that's not the point.  The reason people talk about Henry's blocking is because right now, he more or less gets in the way.  What you want out of your TE is the ability to hold the block and help open running lanes.  Those "get in the way" blockers can be ran around, and since they don't hold up at the point, often allow the defender to get free and make a play.  Unfortunately, all around TE's are going the way of the Dodo, but that's what you hope for when you bring in a TE. 

Now, from what it looks like, Hunter has the ability to block, but he is too often pushed out of they way.  Basically, just slowing down the defender, not stopping him.  That's why he needs time in an NFL strength program.  Unlike a lot of receiving TE's, the skillset and desire is there, he just needs to improve his core.

I get what you're saying, but Olsen's blocking wasn't exactly perfect when he started out either.

Bottom line for me is that I see somebody who can be worked with on that front, and that's enough for me given what else he brings.

To be honest with you, watching college football these days, there are an awful lot of skill sets that are suffering.

I get what you're saying, but Olsen's blocking wasn't exactly perfect when he started out either.

Bottom line for me is that I see somebody who can be worked with on that front, and that's enough for me given what else he brings.

To be honest with you, watching college football these days, there are an awful lot of skill sets that are suffering.

I completely agree.  The thing about Olsen is that he's still not a great blocker, but he has made himself into a serviceable one.  I think that kind of work ethic and knowledge could really benefit a guy like Henry.  I'm sure if he goes to certain teams, they will just tell him to focus on catching the ball, but if we do pick him, he'll be expected to stay in and block on occasion as well as catching passes.  And after looking at some videos, I really think that he can be a Jason Whitten-type...a throwback dual threat TE.   

I completely agree.  The thing about Olsen is that he's still not a great blocker, but he has made himself into a serviceable one.  I think that kind of work ethic and knowledge could really benefit a guy like Henry.  I'm sure if he goes to certain teams, they will just tell him to focus on catching the ball, but if we do pick him, he'll be expected to stay in and block on occasion as well as catching passes.  And after looking at some videos, I really think that he can be a Jason Whitten-type...a throwback dual threat TE.   

I'd be happy to see that.

True dual threat TEs are rare these days, and becoming more so. But by golly when your team has one, you see just how valuable they are.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

There is a reason Hunter Henry was my initial mock draft pick over a month ago. They do like him a lot. Would love to see the Panthers get back to an effective 2 TE set. 

Possible to GO Hunter 1st, trade up 2nd get derrick henry ... Have Henry Henry combo....

I mean

KB - 6'5

FUnchess 6'4

Olsen - 6'5

Hunter - 6'6

Derrick - 6'4/5

Cam - 6'5

My goodness... the possibilities ...

But that's not the point.  The reason people talk about Henry's blocking is because right now, he more or less gets in the way.  

Have you watched every run play that Hunter Henry participated in as a college tight end?  

Because, if you haven't and you're just going by a small video sample, your statement above is a clinical example of "talking out of your ass".

Any personnel man worth his salt has watched every play in college that he was a participant in.

Olsen's blocking has gone from abysmal to merely bad - serviceable is a very generous term. That said, he is way too effective in the passing game to take him off the field. For example:

If Henry is drafted, I do hope that he can be a quality blocker because Greg isn't coming off the field.

Archived