• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016 Panthers First Round Draft Selection Tree

Jeremy Igo

what changed?

#1 offense in football with every OL returning and a young backup OT we love getting healthy and better every day

Oher will be a free agent after this season and he's not exactly a spring chicken at this point.

I just don't think the board will fall right for OT to be in play at #30.

Interesting interview with Vernon Butler.  In wonder if a team has given him assurance about not making it past their pick if available?  Detroit possibly. 

"In addition to traveling to the Senior Bowl in January, the NFL Scouting Combine in February, and private workouts, Butler made six official visits to team facilities. Three — with the Detroit Lions, Carolina Panthers and Tennessee Titans — went particularly well.

Butler even admitted to scouting possible places to live in a few cities when he returned home from a team visit."

"On draft expectations: "I’m not worried (about slipping to the second round). I know I’m going in the first round, probably between picks 14 and 23. I have no doubt. I know I won’t get out of the first round."

On pass-rushing ability: "Teams looking for an interior guy, I’m pretty good at the bull rush. I’ve got long arms to get the offensive lineman off of me and get to the quarterback."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4703034-nfl-draft-diary-vernon-butler-louisiana-tech-lions-panthers-titans

I've heard this and it seems ridiculous

Maybe, but it's true. "Why make a dog chase an imaginary bone" is what Art Briles says when asked about it. He asks his WRs to be on the field for 90 plays a game and he doesn't want to wear them out running routes when the ball is never going to come to their side of the field and he splits the WR's so far out from the ball that it doesn't matter if the safety gets a read from that because they aren't getting to the other sideline in time anyway.

Interesting interview with Vernon Butler.  In wonder if a team has given him assurance about not making it past their pick if available?  Detroit possibly. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4703034-nfl-draft-diary-vernon-butler-louisiana-tech-lions-panthers-titans

Assurances from a team don't necessarily mean anything.  They may have every intention of drafting you and then a guy they didn't expect to be there slips.  I just read a recent article by Matt Bowen who was picked one spot above Tom Brady and he said he got two calls from teams DURING THE DRAFT that he was going to be their upcoming pick and then... nothing.  When he finally got the call from the Rams that he was their pick, the pick had actually already been made.

How well does Henry block? I think based on that, it would solidfy the pick. Henry will be a Panther, even if we have to trade up in the 2nd.

Based on what I've seen, he pretty much doesn't.  That's not necessarily uncommon for highly rated TEs coming out of college and it was true of Olsen as well.

My issue with Henry is that I just don't see anything special.  I think his value is being inflated because this is a terrible TE draft.

Assurances from a team don't necessarily mean anything.  They may have every intention of drafting you and then a guy they didn't expect to be there slips.  I just read a recent article by Matt Bowen who was picked one spot above Tom Brady and he said he got two calls from teams DURING THE DRAFT that he was going to be their upcoming pick and then... nothing.  When he finally got the call from the Rams that he was their pick, the pick had actually already been made.

True...that's a valid point LG.  Can't wait for this draft to get here.

Based on what I've seen, he pretty much doesn't.  That's not necessarily uncommon for highly rated TEs coming out of college and it was true of Olsen as well.

My issue with Henry is that I just don't see anything special.  I think his value is being inflated because this is a terrible TE draft.

What most scouts are saying about him is that he is adequate at blocking....but it is something that he will need to work on once in an NFL program.  But like you said, that is pretty common for pass catching TE's coming out of college.

You really think a 1st round talent WR would get no snaps for us?

I'm not sure if any position group in the history of this franchise has ever been as collectively overrated by our fan base as our current WR corps.

I think youre overrating not me lol.

KB is a 2nd yr, Funchess is a 2nd year. They needs snaps. Do you understand that young guys need snaps to learn the game? Did you forget KB didnt play a snap in his second year? Stephen Hill still has a shot and they have that 5th guy they signed at the end of last year that is a possession guy to replace Cotch. Just. . lol. . tell me where this new #1 receiver is gonna get snaps in camp? At what spot he gonna get snaps? the slot? ahead of Brown and Ginn just like that? you mean Rivera, the notorious veteran leaner right?

I dont watch college ball so I cant speak much on Coleman, but I can tell you that his description sounds almost exactly like Brown's. I find it very odd that so many people didnt recognize that Brown was the key to our offense without KB last year. Without him the offense was broken. He runs every route in the tree and catches well. Now KB is that and much much more and Funchess will play his role with Brown. They will alternate depending on the yardage and ball placement.

Archived