• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Oher Signs 3 Year Extension - $21.6m

bobsfoodbasics

This really is good news.  We started the offseason with the prospect of 4 of our 5 Oline starters eligible for FA at the end of the year.   Kalil & Oher's signings help ensure the stability of the offense, and it's good to get these deals done now.  There's not a lot of time between a SB run and the start of free agency, so the more contracts G'man can work on this summer, the better.

Now we just have Norwell & Remmers to work on.  Remmers might not be done right away until we see whether he continues as a starter or becomes a backup.  In any case, RT is a lot cheaper than LT or C.

22 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

This really is good news.  We started the offseason with the prospect of 4 of our 5 Oline starters eligible for FA at the end of the year.   Kalil & Oher's signings help ensure the stability of the offense, and it's good to get these deals done now.  There's not a lot of time between a SB run and the start of free agency, so the more contracts G'man can work on this summer, the better.

Now we just have Norwell & Remmers to work on.  Remmers might not be done right away until we see whether he continues as a starter or becomes a backup.  In any case, RT is a lot cheaper than LT or C.

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't Remmers already sign an extension? 

Must say this blindsided me as well.  I figured if any deal would have been to utmost importance and focus, it would have been KK.  Anyone know if this deal creates space or nah?  Congrats on Mr. Rivera as well.  Oher paid well last year.  Some notes on the signing I saw was that he will be paid as a top 20 LT and was ranked 75th on PFF.  Not that I believe that matters just thought it was interesting to see.

34 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Here was what the top LT contracts looked like as of earlier this week.  Average for the top 22 LTs was just over 9.1 million per year.  Average for the top 10 was nearly 11.7 million per year.

LT salaries.png

lol at NO....Brees and Armstead eat up a quarter of their cap.

17 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't Remmers already sign an extension? 

I think it was just a one year extension.  He was a RFA on a tender.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/mike-remmers/

Apr 12 2016Mike Remmers

Mike Remmers, RT

Assigned a 1 year $2.553 million tender with Carolina (CAR)

He signed the tender offer, and will hit free agency at the end of this season unless we extend / re-sign him

18 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

Must say this blindsided me as well.  I figured if any deal would have been to utmost importance and focus, it would have been KK.  Anyone know if this deal creates space or nah?  Congrats on Mr. Rivera as well.  Oher paid well last year.  Some notes on the signing I saw was that he will be paid as a top 20 LT and was ranked 75th on PFF.  Not that I believe that matters just thought it was interesting to see.

No, he was not 75 on PFF!!

His grade was 75.  He ranked 30th among all tackles.

B/R ranked him 11th at his position.

I'll post details in a minute.   I hate it when folks blindly repeat information spewed on Twitter.

8 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

his run blocking was wayyy bad, like -20s which dragged his overall down

back when i had a PFF sub i sorted the tackles and his pass blocking by my count was in the top half of left tackles who got significant starts

dfas.PNG

1 minute ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

his run blocking was wayyy bad, like -20s which dragged his overall down

back when i had a PFF sub i sorted the tackles and his pass blocking by my count was in the top half of left tackles who got significant starts

dfas.PNG

When are these stats from?  Just curious.  I missed out on subscribing to Premium Stats.  They had already stopped when I tried to subscribe.  I can only access their player grades.

Here's the B/R write up on Oher from their NFL 1000 rankings for 2015, ranking the top 35 LTs:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2608297-br-nfl-1000-ranking-the-top-35-left-tackles-from-2015/page/26

11. Michael Oher, Carolina Panthers

11. Michael Oher, Carolina Panthers

Roger Steinman/Associated Press

Pass Block

39/45

Michael Oher may be the most improved offensive lineman of 2015.

Oher never missed a game in his first five seasons in Baltimore after the Ravens drafted him 23rd overall in 2009, but his development seemed to halt and his overall play regressed after offensive line coach John Matsko was fired by Baltimore in January 2011. Matsko joined the Panthers staff a day later. Oher would spend the 2014 season in Tennessee and did not perform well in the 11 games he started.

He reunited with Coach Matsko when he signed with the Carolina Panthers, and the resurgence of his game is evident.

Oher has an explosive vertical set that allows him to create just enough space to get to his spot and settle his feet to build his house. He shows the strike-zone recognition and punch timing to effectively stop the charge of defenders and is able to leverage his hips to anchor.

Oher maintains an outstanding base with even weight distribution and shows good ability to recover when he is moved off his spot. He also shows the foot quickness and efficiency with his footwork to cut grass, maintaining contact with the ground to mirror and post down to take away the inside.

Run Block

35/45

Oher shows good physicality at the point of attack and displays the hip explosion, strength, power and hand placement to hit, lift and drive defenders on base blocks or when tracking to angle-drive block. The Panthers run multiple schemes in the run game, and their offensive tackles, specifically, must be able to do a lot of different things.

Oher understands the angles of the zone-blocking scheme and is able to quickly reach and seal defenders by losing ground to gain ground and also shows the footwork to cut off the backside by ripping and running or cutting the far leg of scraping.

Oher generates positive lateral movement when combo blocking and is able to overtake and slip off to climb when necessary. He shows good tracking when climbing to the second level and is able to fit and drive linebackers. Oher pushes the point of attack on "deuce block" double-teams in power schemes and is able to step down and collide the hip of B-gap defenders when down blocking.

Position Value

9/9

Overall

83/99

Archived