• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About the tight end position....

Jeremy Igo

Best part...

"Deaver can’t worry about that now. More workouts, and more studying, are ahead.

And his family?

“For now, for this summer of 2016,” his father says, “we are just gonna wallow in how cool this all is.”

Great attitude. Soak it in kid. Enjoy the hell out of it, ball out, and make that Practice Squad.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Quick detour:

Ahem! Isn't Dickson a locker room and coach favorite...?

That's why I am not buying the Fozzy over Wegher thing. I seriously doubt that G-man, or even Rivera for that matter, are going to forego the obvious at the expense of talent because they like a dude. They are serious about upgrading the talent on the offensive side of the ball, so out with the old and in with the new.  

-------------

Back on topic:

Sandland  has the juice, and it appears he has the smarts to make a quick transition to the dismay and detriment of Dickson. Dickson's days are numbered. It's only a matter of months.

I hope Dickson isn't the new Richie Brockel, as in 'why is this guy still here?' He's OK, but it's not like he's gonna get any better. 

27 minutes ago, caatfan said:

I hope Dickson isn't the new Richie Brockel, as in 'why is this guy still here?' He's OK, but it's not like he's gonna get any better. 

I just don't believe there is any way that even Rivera can justify keeping Dickson. He wasn't good last season, and has just been kind of mediocre his entire career. At least the theory was that Brockel brought versatility in that he could play FB. Like you basically said, he has had opportunity to move his value upward, but to me the upside just isn't there. He has been a sub par pass catcher and blocker his whole career.

Time to commit ourselves to the young, fresh birds that we scouted and jettison the bones that were acquired at one time just because they had just enough meat on them to take a last few bites.

54 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I just don't believe there is any way that even Rivera can justify keeping Dickson. He wasn't good last season, and has just been kind of mediocre his entire career. At least the theory was that Brockel brought versatility in that he could play FB. Like you basically said, he has had opportunity to move his value upward, but to me the upside just isn't there. He has been a sub par pass catcher and blocker his whole career.

Time to commit ourselves to the young, fresh birds that we scouted and jettison the bones that were acquired at one time just because they had just enough meat on them to take a last few bites.

I'm not saying this to be an ass but you have typically pushed for the FAs, typically WRS that weren't very good elsewhere over the young guys scouted by this regime. Change of heart?

54 minutes ago, csx said:

I'm not saying this to be an ass but you have typically pushed for the FAs, typically WRS that weren't very good elsewhere over the young guys scouted by this regime. Change of heart?

The only WRs that I ever "pushed" for in FA was Denarius Moore, and, like it or not, he was better elsewhere than most of the receivers we've had here, and the stats prove it out. There was/is obviously something else going on with him (much like Gettis).

Now, if you're referring to a Boykin or Gettis, I still say that when they were cut here, they arguably had better preseason than what was ultimately kept. And, like it or not, disagree with it or not, I believe that we may have done better at the end of the day during both seasons respectively if we had kept both. But, don't get it twisted, I didn't push for Boykin (who in my opinion did more with less snaps in 2014 than some of the guys that we had on the team did in 2015).

I don't usually stump for free agents. I will mention them at times, especially in comparison to our own who are not playing up to my standards, but Moore is the only free agent that motivated me to jump on a soapbox. Generally discussing free agents is something I am going to always do, as I am always looking for improvements and thinking outside of the box. Moreover, I am going to throw my two cents in on others' ideas. I mean, this is a football forum.

As for Gettis, I still believe injury and his attitude did him in, but don't act like his rookie year wasn't better than the rookie year of some that we kept in his wake (inc. Huddle legend Armanti Edwards).

Lastly, if a guy is already here and shows some promise, flashes and upside during camp and preseason---especially after having shown something in college---I will stump for him quite vociferously in favor of guys who've already been here, had an opportunity, and shown that they really aren't anything special. Receiver is an interest of mine, but I am basically the same way for all the positions, so there hasn't really been any change of heart. I just don't believe in holding on to just-above-mediocre (or worse) vets to the detriment of talent and upside out of some misguided sense of veteran loyalty. Now, that being said, I do realize that the GM and coaches are in the best position to know what they're looking for, but, like it or not, they aren't always right. 

Do you think we could get something for Dickson if Sandland looks good in training camp?

even if we can get a 5th or 6th off of him.  That's better than cutting him considering how Gettleman like to move up in the draft to get his guys.

20 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Do you think we could get something for Dickson if Sandland looks good in training camp?

even if we can get a 5th or 6th off of him.  That's better than cutting him considering how Gettleman like to move up in the draft to get his guys.

Dickson wasn't good last season. I would say that his stock has decreased since he has been here. I don't believe any GM would have the desire to give up any trade value for his (not even) fair-to-middling production as a catcher or, perhaps more importantly, a blocker.

Archived