• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rogue One

R0CKnR0LLA

Thought it was good but not what it was hyped to be. The best part for me was Vader slaughtering the resistance. We needed another half hour of that. 

One plot hole that bothered me: 

Could it really only be one man who could design the death Star. And would someone on his team of engineers not find its weakness and report it?

I know it's a movie and all but that one bothers me a little.

The guy with the staff was annoying.

3 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

Thought it was good but not what it was hyped to be. The best part for me was Vader slaughtering the resistance. We needed another half hour of that. 

One plot hole that bothered me: 

Could it really only be one man who could design the death Star. And would someone on his team of engineers not find its weakness and report it?

I know it's a movie and all but that one bothers me a little.

The guy with the staff was annoying.

I don't think he did it by himself.  He had a big team and was just the head guy I think or one of them.  The reactor and all that was probably just his specialty.    Seems important, and if he's the guy calling the shots, he could probably sneak that in.  

Saw it for the second time last night and everything fell together a lot better on the second viewing. Even Jyns abrupt turnaround - clearly it changed once she knew her father spent his life fighting against the Empire. 

Jyn can sure climb up enormously tall ladders quickly lol

My friend gave me a dumb plot hole I hadn't thought about -  that clearly there are people on Leia's ship that saw Darth Vader and knew it was his Star Destroyer that was in the battle, but Leia tells him that she was "on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan" when he captures her. I guess she could have just said that for the record as a reflex but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Man I wish the could have had more scenes with Vader kicking ass. That ending was fuging amazing, even the sound when he turns on the saber was on point. CGI Tarkin wasn't that great for me. I feel like I would have liked it better if they didn't give him 10 mins of screen time to check out his face. 

7 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

My friend gave me a dumb plot hole I hadn't thought about -  that clearly there are people on Leia's ship that saw Darth Vader and knew it was his Star Destroyer that was in the battle, but Leia tells him that she was "on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan" when he captures her. I guess she could have just said that for the record as a reflex but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

She used the diplomatic mission excuse because that's the standard way rebels were getting away with things, and it worked. Rebels like Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and Leia would regularly abuse their immunity as Senators to escape. It doesn't matter that Vader saw them leave - they have a Senator on board and, by law, should be off limits.

Because the Emperor still needed the Senate at that point to maintain control of local star systems, he had to tolerate this. Keep in mind, Mon Mothma in Rogue One claimed they needed Galen Urso to testify before the Senate - clearly, it had some power. 

However, once the Empire completed the Death Star and proved it was operational, they had no need for the Senate. Fear would keep the systems in line. The Emperor finally dissolved the Senate, installed regional governors (to replace the Senate), and planned to use the Death Star to enforce Imperial rule. That's why the excuse didn't work in Episode IV.

I understand that but everyone there knows this ship fled the battle with the plans. Whats the point of playing dumb? It's Darth fuging Vader who butchers children as needed. And he's mad.

An interesting thing is that Tarkin says that Vader has a plan to take care of the rebel fleet, and unless I'm mistaken, that plan is his Star Destroyer jumping in after the battle is over? Just one Destroyer when the Rebels had taken out two already? Terrible plan.

2 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

I understand that but everyone there knows this ship fled the battle with the plans. Whats the point of playing dumb? It's Darth fuging Vader who butchers children as needed. And he's mad.

It's all she can do. What's she going to open with, "I'm part of the Rebel Alliance?" 

2 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

An interesting thing is that Tarkin says that Vader has a plan to take care of the rebel fleet, and unless I'm mistaken, that plan is his Star Destroyer jumping in after the battle is over? Just one Destroyer when the Rebels had taken out two already? Terrible plan.

Yeah, not the best plan. But realistically the Rebel fleet is decimated, and they did manage to take out a flagship.

14 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

I just saw it.

Meh, the hype for it was overrated. It was way better than The Phantom Menace and The Attack of the Clones but it didn't come close to A New Hope, The Force Awakens and The Empire Strikes back.

I thought it dragged for too long, the acting was forgettable and the characters were average. The Death Troopers were just there too. I didn't see anything badass from them after being hyped up for being a genetic freak, SEAL branch of Storm Troopers.

I liked the little easter eggs, CGI Leia and Darth Vader kicking ass. That was about it.

New Hope and Force Awakens were the same movie though lol.

Every Star Wars will be overrated, sadly.   I think Force Awakes as WAY more overrated than Rogue One, because at least Rogue One was an original idea instead of doing the SAME stuff as a movie 40 years before.  

7 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Have you read the comments on here????

This poo was wayyyyy more overhyped. A New Hope and The Force Awakens might have been the same movie but it was still the superior film. Original idea??? Dude, there was nothing original about Rogue One. It was another fugging prequel for Disney and Lucas to cash in on. 

This is why I try to not follow film production updates anymore. You get so caught up on the hype that when you see it, it never lives up to your expectations.

Saving Private Ryan meets Star Wars my ass.

I mean I'm not a monster Star Wars fan so I didn't have any notions going in other than it looks good.   I still think it's easily the best Star Wars since Empire.

15 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

I just saw it.

Meh, the hype for it was overrated. It was way better than The Phantom Menace and The Attack of the Clones but it didn't come close to A New Hope, The Force Awakens and The Empire Strikes back.

I thought it dragged for too long, the acting was forgettable and the characters were average. The Death Troopers were just there too. I didn't see anything badass from them after being hyped up for being a genetic freak, SEAL branch of Storm Troopers.

I liked the little easter eggs, CGI Leia and Darth Vader kicking ass. That was about it.

Once Krennics Death Troopers were brought in, the Rebels started dying a lot quicker from what I could see.

With the possible exception of Daisy Ridley, I can't see many unfavorable comparisons to the acting in any of the other movies. But Forest Whitaker continues to freak me out. Thought the Rebel leader did a good job as did the defecting pilot.

The end battle was like a mash up of Star Wars and Empire but with modern effects that could take us anywhere in the battle, and was told in a pretty easy to follow manner considering all that was going on.

13 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

All I have to say is if you Hate Rogue one, then you would have hated anything that was put out there, the movie exceeded my expectations (I didnt read any press before watching the movie) and I loved it.

Haters gonna Hate

This right here x 100000

I saw it for the 3rd time Sunday night and I'm ready to write a bit about it. 

I'll go ahead and state that I'm biased.  I'm a huge Star Wars fan, have been for a long, long time.  I utterly loved this movie.  I was worried about what Disney would do with these anthology movies and I'm extremely pleased at how they did this one.

SPOILERS BELOW (It's been over 3 weeks now, if you haven't seen it, you dumb)

I'll start with the things I didn't like/found fault with:

1) CGI:  Everyone is talking about this.  I do wish they'd done less with Tarkin and i thought the Leia CGI was pretty bad, but it didn't take anything away at all from the movie for me.  The Tarkin CGI was actually rather impressive on the 2nd and 3rd viewing to me, the only drawback was when he talked, it seemed very unnatural.  I would have preferred that they kept him in reflection more.

2) The fact that they made the rebels morally ambiguous, with Cassian murdering the spy and also #3 below.  I didn't think that was so necessary.  

3) The fact that they kept the kill order in place on Erso AFTER they obviously knew the Death Star was basically finished and working.  Kind of a silly plot point.

4) Minor continuity issue:  When they show R2-D2 and C2PO on Yavin, they should have already been on the Tantive IV with Leia, which was already on Admiral Raddus flagship and had left Yavin.  Very minor issue.  Maybe, maybe the Tantive hadn't left the base yet, but the timing of that was a little off imo.

Things I loved:

1) The fact that Disney had the balls to let them all die.  Seriously this is huge, HUGE and makes me feel a LOT better about upcoming movies.  That they weren't afraid to do that is awesome. They even let the X-Wing General bite it.

2) K2SO:  The Anti-3PO... smart, competent, asshole, witty and funny without trying to be.  Aside from Vader, best character in the movie.

3) NO SILLY GEORGE LUCAS KIDDY poo.  Love, love, love this.  Was very afraid that Disney would "kidify" these movies.  They didn't at all.  No silly Ewok/JarJar crap.

4) CGI Space battle and X-Wing pilots from the original movie:  If you didn't already know this, several of the X-Wing pilots in the space battle scenes are directly from film Lucas had in archives that was never used and they took it and CGI'd it into the new scenes.  It really tied in RO with ANH perfectly.  Oh and the space battle scenes are EPIC.  Ramming a Star Destroyer into another Start Destroyer to kill the Shield Gate???!!!  Holy fugballs.  I was on the edge of my seat every time I saw these parts.

5) The end and Vader:  I mean... Vader.  I can't even.  I had hoped he would be in the movie a LOT, and he wasn't... but what they did was so incredibly perfect, I'm just amazed.  I think that they did him JUST RIGHT.  The boarding scene where he levitates the trooper, walks under him and. almost as an afterthought, reaches back and cuts him in half.  I mean seriously... Lucas would NEVER have done anything like that.  It was just so right.

Loved this movie.  10/10 would see again.  I'd go watch it for a 4th time right now.  To me, this is right there with ESB as best in franchise.

darth_vader___rogue_one_by_gabriel_carat

5 minutes ago, Darth Biscuit said:

Loved this movie.  10/10 would see again.  I'd go watch it for a 4th time right now.  To me, this is right there with ESB as best in franchise.

I've reflected on my initial post about it, and I still agree. This is still up there with ESB for me, too. I still list ANH as the third best, just because it was the original and the fact that the transition from R1 to ANH now is so well done. TFA was really good, too. I think it'd be hard for anyone to argue, though, that if someone was watching Star Wars for the first time, you could easily go TPM, R1, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TFA and not have probably the best film series in movie history. Heck, you could exclude the prequel trilogy altogether and start with R1 for all I care, and this would still probably be true. I only included it to give a little pre-Vader canon...

Archived