• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Play Calling Awful

Lilsmitty09

4 minutes ago, DPardue said:

I could not understand why we didn't test them deep (if we did I certainly do not remember).  Why not turn Ginn lose on a go route or two.  Cam's longest pass play was 18 yards.

Very difficult to do against that pass rush. No time for long routes to develop. 

Just now, MikeD83 said:

Very difficult to do against that pass rush. No time for long routes to develop. 

While I agree with that in general, I thought the protection was adequate enough at times to go for the long ball.  In February certainly not, but if we can hit Olsen across the middle on an in route, there should be enough time to free up Ginn on a go route.

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

While I didn't like the call, it's funny to see complaints about it and calls for more targets to Funchess in the same thread.

You guys do realize that the reason the bootleg didn't work was Funchess' shitty block on Ray? The only other thing in the way was Talib who would have gotten bull dozed. Heck Talib did take a shot even with Ray taking down Newton. If Funchess uses his big body to do anything remotely like a block it's an easy first down or potentially a lot more when Newton trucks Talib.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

So even though you have a pro bowl center and guard, and the greatest goal line running QB probably ever, you call a 3rd and short bootleg that depends on a WR blocking a 245 pound linebacker?

47 minutes ago, MikeD83 said:

this.  case in point all game in februrary and then what happened when we were forced into throwing situations this game.  no way to effectively stop that defensive front when they know you are going to throw the football and especially not when they are allowed to projectile missile launch at the quarterback.  who the fug is teaching them to tackle out there?  they seriously need to be investigated for workplace negligence.  

13 hours ago, ctrcat said:

A premier corner whose criminal investigation the league didn't want to usurp after taking our franchise DE away for 21 games.

A premier corner who got roasted time and time again in the Super Bowl by our undrafted WR Philly Brown!

We had 6 drives in the second half.

-First one ended quick with stop by Ray on 3rd and one.. People can argue about this one, but a bootleg with Cam asking for one yard isnt the worst thought.  these are the kinds of calls that could keep a defense honest down the road.
-Second drive ended with a sack by Ware, where he beat Oher with a strong edge rush where Ware got really low on him.  Oher got beat quick and needs to do better, but give Ware SOME credit.
-Third drive put us in a 3rd and 30 due to Kalil facemask and Funchess false start.
-Fourth drive ended quick with the INT by Harris who also tipped the pass.  Unfortunate but also hard to blame on play calling.  It was a slant that Cam was a little late on.  Not a terrible play call.  Had Benjamin open.
-Fifth drive was looking strong until we had to settle for a field goal due to the nice pass breakup by Talib on Funchess.
-The  sixth and final drive put us in position to kick the game winning field goal.

Its never quite as bad as it seems...Could the play calling have been better?  Sure, we lost the game...but keep in mind that this defense is about as good as it gets.

13 minutes ago, EightyNine said:

We had 6 drives in the second half.

-First one ended quick with stop by Ray on 3rd and one.. People can argue about this one, but a bootleg with Cam asking for one yard isnt the worst thought.  these are the kinds of calls that could keep a defense honest down the road.
-Second drive ended with a sack by Ware, where he beat Oher with a strong edge rush where Ware got really low on him.  Oher got beat quick and needs to do better, but give Ware SOME credit.
-Third drive put us in a 3rd and 30 due to Kalil facemask and Funchess false start.
-Fourth drive ended quick with the INT by Harris who also tipped the pass.  Unfortunate but also hard to blame on play calling.  It was a slant that Cam was a little late on.  Not a terrible play call.  Had Benjamin open.
-Fifth drive was looking strong until we had to settle for a field goal due to the nice pass breakup by Talib on Funchess.
-The  sixth and final drive put us in position to kick the game winning field goal.

Its never quite as bad as it seems...Could the play calling have been better?  Sure, we lost the game...but keep in mind that this defense is about as good as it gets.

This is a great post. Just want to add Shula was very balanced in his playcalling. I believe the finally tally was 1 more pass than run plays.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the drives that were cut short because we had no timeouts. At the end of the first half, brilliant playcalling marched down the field with 0 timeouts. Got in field goal range and stopped the clock for Gano to come out and kick the field goal. 

In the final drive we had 1 timeout left. Yet, we were still able to get down the field and put Gano in a position to win us the game. Imagine if we had not wasted the other 2 timeouts how much closer we could have got for the game winning kick.

Football is a game of matchup's and there's 2 teams we don't match up with very well. The Bronco's and Seahawks. Otherwise I saw enough to believe we can steamroll just about anyone else, as evidenced by last year. 

Archived