• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did anyone notice the playclock...

Darth Biscuit

Just now, tiger7_88 said:

I don't know if I'm right or not, but I doubt they were often sending DA to the line with 2 plays like they do with Cam now.

Calling 1 play  >>>>>> Calling 2 plays

If that's true then everyone's Shula is evil and the problem theory just went out the window. Huh.

This could be attributable to a lot of things not in Cam or DA's control, so it's not anything he's doing...

For one, the gameplan is most likely a lot different with more basic calls with Anderson in there.  Less boots, options, reads, etc.  To further that point, theres probably less thinking involved from the coaches because they have less options to call as DA cancan't  do all the things Cam does with the ball.

Second, to me, it seems Cam likes to have time to read things pre-snap and make adjustments.  In the past, DA seemed to do a lot more of that when filling in for Cam, so i have no idea what the play clock looked like when he played tampa in the past, but i can tell you i dont remember him making but maybe one or two presnap adjustments last night - so thats more time left on the clock.  And to further this point,  it was evident in his play as well...  more clock didn't equate to better plays or decision making.  He had plenty of time to see coverage shading to KB, and yet he forced it to him twice, hurriedly, for no apparent reason resulting in INTs.

Again, I think Cam has a lot more responsibility on his shoulders as far as adjustments, making reads, and whether he runs or not on any given play.  And i think the coaches tend to overthink their options as a result and take longer getting more complicated calls in to Cam.

2 hours ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

well one of those boneheaded plays could have been avoided, the 1st and goal pass play that should have been a run, which was the difference maker.

so yeah, DA is partly to blame, but I put more weight on Shula's decision. 

That's still on DA. Greg Olsen was covered over the top and underneath. Its the players responsibility to recognize that and throw the ball away. All 3 of his turnovers can be attributed to staying on his first read. As some posters have mentioned already, Funchess was open in the flats on the play that he decided to run for a first down and fumbled 

Anyone else remember the press conference late in the season last year where Cam was describing how everyone was in the huddle on offense and he said that Olsen often has to correct him about what the playcall is actually supposed to be? I took note of it then and thought it might be a little worrying but didn't think too much of it because everything on offense was going so well. Well, I'm starting to wonder if that's actually the problem when everybody is bitching that Shula can't get the playcall in on time. Maybe Cam has to be corrected a lot because he doesn't properly output the playcall that is being input from the headset. The NFL does shut off the helmet radios with 15 seconds left on the play clock so the play has to be in by that point.

Key audio is at 1:30.

"Half the time when I'm saying the play, I'm wrong and those guys, they fix it. It's like my autocorrect."

Tell me that looking back on that, that doesn't worry you with all the trouble we've been having getting plays off this year.

6 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Anyone else remember the press conference late in the season last year where Cam was describing how everyone was in the huddle on offense and he said that Olsen often has to correct him about what the playcall is actually supposed to be? I took note of it then and thought it might be a little worrying but didn't think too much of it because everything on offense was going so well. Well, I'm starting to wonder if that's actually the problem when everybody is bitching that Shula can't get the playcall in on time. Maybe Cam has to be corrected a lot because he doesn't properly output the playcall that is being input from the headset. The NFL does shut off the helmet radios with 15 seconds left on the play clock so the play has to be in by that point.

Lol

Archived