• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone use a dumb phone at all?

pstall

This seems like deja vu on this topic.

I'm considering dropping my smartphone for an old school dummy one.

I have an ipad and wife and kids have smart ones but i just want to simplify. I love all the stuff out there and always reading on whatever but it's cutting into my creativity and productivity.  Sure i could maybe be more disciplined but then I would be paying for data and a phone that i only partially use.

I'm no hermit but when i get that monthly subscription of Outside magazine i just want to go and do something and get away from the tech shackles and memes and 140 characters and honestly be like I was in high school. Within reason of course.

Bah maybe it's a mid life crisis. Lol

I now yield the balance of my time to the mercy and wisdom of the Huddle

I still use one. Ironic since I work in IT. :) I also use a ooma phone. Its 4 bucks a month, and if i have to give my number to some company or organization, I give them the Ooma number because I don't care how many telemarketers call it.

My employer provides me with a Blackberry, but they have it so locked down, that about the only thing I can do is send email and call people. And I think I might be the only person in Winston Salem carrying a Blackberry.

My wife has a smartphone if I need to use one. Funny thing about it is that she rarely uses most of the features. Facebook and Candy Crush is about the only "smart" feature she uses.

I miss my dumb phone but it's way too convenient to have internet/GPS access at my fingertips when I'm out and about. I don't use apps or anything really beyond Spotify, internet, and texting on my phone but I love having the capability.

On 10/20/2016 at 0:35 PM, pstall said:

This seems like deja vu on this topic.

I'm considering dropping my smartphone for an old school dummy one.

I have an ipad and wife and kids have smart ones but i just want to simplify. I love all the stuff out there and always reading on whatever but it's cutting into my creativity and productivity.  Sure i could maybe be more disciplined but then I would be paying for data and a phone that i only partially use.

I'm no hermit but when i get that monthly subscription of Outside magazine i just want to go and do something and get away from the tech shackles and memes and 140 characters and honestly be like I was in high school. Within reason of course.

Bah maybe it's a mid life crisis. Lol

I now yield the balance of my time to the mercy and wisdom of the Huddle

I won't have a cell phone for long because I barely use it and have no need for it outside of some work stuff but for something like that I'm fine with what I have which is a Sonim phone. All I do on it is call people or receive calls. May be able to do more but I don't know what. Works great, could run it over with a backhoe and it'd be fine or leave it in water for days and it'd be fine.

Archived