• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Shula: Cam Newton is not to blame solely

truthjuice

1 hour ago, Icege said:

The only thing that Carroll complimented the offense on in that article you linked is the diversity of the run game which he then pointed towards Cam Newton being the reason. Not design or calling. I'd also take the opinion of a team that beat the poo out of the offense over a team that got the poo beat out of them by it.

Matsko was the only guy promoted in relation to the offense due to his contribution to the run game, which was what Carroll tauted. The run game was not a product of Shula. It was a product of Matsko and Newton imo.

Chud also worked for Rivera. Shanhan works for Quinn. I get what you're saying and agree to an extent, but you're saying that Shula isn't the problem folks claim him to be when he's running an offense which you even admit is supposed to make our MVP a game manager ("They both wanted ball control offenses that controlled the clock and didn't make mistakes and threw when they needed to. The emphasis was winning on defense not offense.")

When Rivera first came to this team, he talked about putting guys in positions to succeed and not holding to a strict system. It was during one of his initial press conferences. When you say that he has to have the right pieces, that goes against what he preached this team would be doing.

This team didn't change to that style until Shula became the head coach and Chud took the HC position in Cleveland. Under Shula this team has shown that once it's down by 10, chances of a comeback are slim to none. That's damning of an OC, because when it's time to go out there and score points he can't do it. How many games have we seen lost or almost loss due to the ultra-conservative playcalling? How many more plays do we need to see where 3 receivers are all within 5 yards of one another due to design?

I'm sure there's worse, and Shula definitely did not have a lot going for him this season with injuries, but as a coach it's his job to adjust and put the players he does have in a position to succeed. He failed at that.

If you are going to make comments be accurate. For example Matso wasn't the only guy promoted. You clearly didn't even read what you linked. Brown was also.promoted.

Carroll talked about the run game because that is what Shula revamped and was creative. Was out pass game creative with the worse receivers in the league? Under Chud we were flashy but we went 13-19. Under Shula we are 41-20 or so. We have the offense that Rivera wanted and the results are self evident.

Are there better OCS out there? Of course. How many.looking for jobs with a better winning percentage in the past 4 years? 

49 minutes ago, ickmule said:

Lol at anyone that thinks Shula will go anywhere. We will have the same staff next season.  

As we should. Too  many knee jerk responses when he has one of the best winning percentages as an OC over the past 4 years. And yes I know that it is the team record but he is a big reason we won so many games as well.

39 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

As we should. Too  many knee jerk responses when he has one of the best winning percentages as an OC over the past 4 years. And yes I know that it is the team record but he is a big reason we won so many games as well.

No he's not. Our offense under Shula since 2013, has been dead smack in the middle. Ron without a top 10 scoring defense, we've been under .500 each season. Ron moved Shula to OC to favor the defense, if the defense isn't good, we're not going anywhere

I can't believe the Panthers have Cam Newton as their QB and you guys settling and making excuses to keep Mike Shula as his OC. It's unbelievable is what it is.

On 12/27/2016 at 11:55 PM, Mr. Scot said:

I'm still not holding my breath on the coaching staff "evolving".

Think back to a few years ago when Richard Rodgers coached the worst special teams unit in the league. Was he fired? Nope. He was moved over to coaching safeties instead.

(which probably says a lot about our safety play too)

Safetly play was stellar in 2015.

On 12/28/2016 at 0:55 AM, Mr. Scot said:

I'm still not holding my breath on the coaching staff "evolving".

Think back to a few years ago when Richard Rodgers coached the worst special teams unit in the league. Was he fired? Nope. He was moved over to coaching safeties instead.

(which probably says a lot about our safety play too)

Time to fire Rivera then if he doesn't make any real changes.

1 hour ago, beastson said:

No he's not. Our offense under Shula since 2013, has been dead smack in the middle. Ron without a top 10 scoring defense, we've been under .500 each season. Ron moved Shula to OC to favor the defense, if the defense isn't good, we're not going anywhere

I can't believe the Panthers have Cam Newton as their QB and you guys settling and making excuses to keep Mike Shula as his OC. It's unbelievable is what it is.

Again what part of the fact that our team is built around the defense don't you understand. Our offense is built to complement our defense which is why it is a ball control offense. It isn't designed like New Orleans for example. So bringing up the fact our defense helps the offense is no more true than our defense is a top 10 defense because of the offense. 

What is unbelievable is that you and other Shula haters keep up the same drone over and over and blame everything on Shula and give Newton a total pass. The reality is he has sucked as well this year and speculation about how great he would be without Shula is just that, speculation nothing more.

14 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

Shula was right to suggest to Gman and Rivera that the offense needed to evolve and some of the blame does fall on the front office for throwing a slightly worse product out there and expecting similar results as last year. But Shula tried to use the same gameplan as last year even though it obviously was not going to work. The complete lack of adjustments this year is unacceptable and if Shula is the sacrificial lamb so be it.

How does a coach make major adjustments when injuries ravage the team, and execution is highly inconsistent.?

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Again what part of the fact that our team is built around the defense don't you understand. Our offense is built to complement our defense which is why it is a ball control offense. It isn't designed like New Orleans for example. So bringing up the fact our defense helps the offense is no more true than our defense is a top 10 defense because of the offense. 

What is unbelievable is that you and other Shula haters keep up the same drone over and over and blame everything on Shula and give Newton a total pass. The reality is he has sucked as well this year and speculation about how great he would be without Shula is just that, speculation nothing more.

Again, and this is why we won't win a SB with Ron and Shula. We're trying to get you to understand, but its not registering. If you can't post a record better than .500 and make the playoffs without a top 10 scoring defense, that's on Ron. Injuries happen and so do mistakes, we cant depend on a defense to be dominant every single game.

Mike Shula wouldn't be the OC on any other NFL team in the league especially one with Newton as the QB. Why do you insist on keeping mediocre coaches, yet for some reason think its not enough to keep mediocre players. Stop being a hypocrite.

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:

So some people forget we only had 1 win going into the bye this season. We sucked before the injuries. They are not an excuse no matter how hard you try to make it seem like it is.

Oher was injured in week 2. He played hurt (and poorly) through week 3. So basically we had a healthy starting left tackle for all of one full game this year.

Bradberry was injured on the first play of week 4. Vernon Butler got hurt somewhere in that stretch as well, as were others.

And of course there was game 5 where we played without a guy named Cam Newton.

This is the second or third time I've seen people suggest that we were largely injury free through the first six weeks. I don't know where this narrative comes from, but it's completely off the mark.

2 hours ago, beastson said:

Again, and this is why we won't win a SB with Ron and Shula. We're trying to get you to understand, but its not registering. If you can't post a record better than .500 and make the playoffs without a top 10 scoring defense, that's on Ron. Injuries happen and so do mistakes, we cant depend on a defense to be dominant every single game.

Mike Shula wouldn't be the OC on any other NFL team in the league especially one with Newton as the QB. Why do you insist on keeping mediocre coaches, yet for some reason think its not enough to keep mediocre players. Stop being a hypocrite.

Then why do all the pundits say defense wins Superbowls? How did Denver do it last year? Top 10 defense or top 10 offense. When have we had a top 10 defense and ended up at 500 or less under Rivera?  I looked at the rankings. We haven't so again what are you talking about??

The reason nobody understands or registers what you are saying is because it is wrong. Shula would and will get a job if he is let go because he has a reputation of developing quarterbacks. Cam is the latest but not the first.

Archived