• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Something odd i have noticed with the cold or flu this year.

pstall

I rarely get sick so back during Thanksgiving i had a monster cold. Not the flu and never got a fever.

Got it again about 2 wks ago but what i have noticed is so MANY other people have also gotten this TWICE which seems odd to me.

Not just in the Carolinas either.  I have seen people on twitter mention being sick again and it just struck me as unusual. 

Am i having flashbacks or anyone notice this as well?

7 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

The weather going up and down isnt helping.

Don't get me started on that. Huge misnomer about the weather.  The army did an experiment and debunked this in the 50s.

More colds happen in winter because we are inside more and trapped air and condensation etc.

Allergies would correlate more with weather than colds or the flu.

1 hour ago, pstall said:

Don't get me started on that. Huge misnomer about the weather.  The army did an experiment and debunked this in the 50s.

More colds happen in winter because we are inside more and trapped air and condensation etc.

But doesn't cold weather divert the body's energy from powering the immune system over to warming the body?  That's what I've always been told.

Thank God I haven't gotten sick this year...which is odd I usually get at least a cold by mid December.  Knock on wood.

5 hours ago, davos said:

There's lingering sicknesses going on at work right now.  There's some 3 week bug that I've heard people round the country having right now.  Holiday travel didn't help.  

Same at my office. It just seems more prevalent than i have seen before.

9 hours ago, pstall said:

I rarely get sick so back during Thanksgiving i had a monster cold. Not the flu and never got a fever.

Got it again about 2 wks ago but what i have noticed is so MANY other people have also gotten this TWICE which seems odd to me.

Not just in the Carolinas either.  I have seen people on twitter mention being sick again and it just struck me as unusual. 

Am i having flashbacks or anyone notice this as well?

Very interesting. I thought it was just me.Got sick the week of Christmas and it lasted about 10 days. 2 weeks later I got sick again out of no where that lasted about 5 days. Both seemed to be a viral cold and not the flu.

This last one unfortunately left me with nerve damage and I now I have Bells Palsy and the left side of my face is completely paralyzed. Can't blink, smile, eat, speak correctly, etc. Going for a brain scan Monday to make sure it's not something else (doctors worried it might not be Bells due to some things) but all signs point to that, at least to me. 

Not a great start to 2017 and this is rather debilitating since I am a social person and now just want to hide from the world. I realize people deal with much worse things so I am thankful for that at the same time. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Very interesting. I thought it was just me.Got sick the week of Christmas and it lasted about 10 days. 2 weeks later I got sick again out of no where that lasted about 5 days. Both seemed to be a viral cold and not the flu.

This last one unfortunately left me with nerve damage and I now I have Bells Palsy and the left side of my face is completely paralyzed. Can't blink, smile, eat, speak correctly, etc. Going for a brain scan Monday to make sure it's not something else (doctors worried it might not be Bells due to some things) but all signs point to that, at least to me. 

Not a great start to 2017 and this is rather debilitating since I am a social person and now just want to hide from the world. I realize people deal with much worse things so I am thankful for that at the same time. 

Hang in there bro. They will give you good news.

13 minutes ago, pstall said:

Hang in there bro. They will give you good news.

Thanks man, I'm not overly concerned with it. Everything points to Bells, especially since I had an ear ache and pressure on that side right before it happened. Just might take a few month's to get back to normal. 

Another thing I noticed about this virus thing that is going around is the first time I felt bad for about 3 days and then felt good again. Played some golf, went to the gym....then bam, it was back again the next day and much worse. Had a couple of friends that had the same experience. I may have brought that on myself though by not resting properly. 

ps...fug a cold. I've had broken bones, torn bicep tendons, ripped a hole in the cornea of my eye, etc.and dealt with all that just fine. Give me the common cold and I turn into the biggest p*ssy in the world and you would think I was on death's door.  

12 hours ago, pstall said:

Drier, cooler air allows viruses to float in the air longer, as well. I think it also makes our nares a little more hospitable to the viruses  - could be wrong on that.

Regardless, investing in a humidifier for your office or home can help limit the transition of viruses in the winter.

2 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Drier, cooler air allows viruses to float in the air longer, as well. I think it also makes our nares a little more hospitable to the viruses  - could be wrong on that.

Regardless, investing in a humidifier for your office or home can help limit the transition of viruses in the winter.

Air is a big factor when its cold and dry. Hot air rises right? Well the opposite works and well there ya go.

Wash your hands with warm water and soap party peoples. Not that antibacterial stuff.

Archived