• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cap savings IF we cut Stewart, Gano, and Dickson

panther4life

Stewart can't be released. We don't have anyone to replace him that's better or even equal. You cut him then you pretty much have to land fournette, and with him being probably the best player in this draft, it's no guarantee he makes it to 8. You keep him this year and find his replacement so you can move on from him next year. 

J Stews number isn't astronomically high.. It not like it's 14 mill.   Last year it was 9.5 mill and no one said a thing.  Next year he is on the books for 2.5 mill with a 1.5 mill cap hit if we cut him.   Why do anything to his contract?  

What am I missing??????  You guys are confusing me. 

4 hours ago, Toomers said:

You're cutting him to save 3.75M. That includes re-signing him at around 2.5M. He would.still be here. It would be 6.2M if we cut him outright. Just restructure at those numbers. I haven't seen anyone say that they want him gone. I think everyone wants him here in 2017. Just no reason to pay him at a 8.2M cap hit for 2017. 

Where are your numbers coming from? Cap savings this year would only be 4.75m if Stewart is cut. We won't find a replacement of equal value for that amount.

At this point you don't cut Stewart, he's the only starting caliber HB we have on the roster, with 50 million in cap his number isn't an issue as it's already accounted for. If anything I see him getting a small extension or restructure IF anything since this is the final year. 

As far as Gano, you keep him as well, I know people are frustrated but who are we going to draft or sign that is better...

As far as Lee, I'm ok with Palardy so I'd like that savings, and I'm ok with moving on from Dickson. 

The idea of cutting Stew and resigning him might work great in Madden but in the real world his agent calls up Seattle and he finishes his career in front of family and friends. It's time to start grooming his successor but just flat out cutting him right now makes little sense.

21 hours ago, Udogg said:

You think he would be willing to take ...a 4 million dollar paycut?   Broken down Matt Forte got 4.5 Mill.    Also taking into context he is only 2.5 Mill towards the cap next year.  So you are saying Jonathan Stewart isn't worth 11 mill over 2 years?  

Restructure into a signing bonus,  where you can right it off at 5 mill this year and next year.  But 8 mill isn't a crazy number for what he brings. And like I said .. next year he is only 2.5 mill against the cap.   It would only make sense if you need a few mill this year to sign someone else.  

So in conclusion:

You want to cut Johnathan Stewart ..without bringing him back (He aint taking a 4 mill paycut.. can pretty much guarantee that). 

We don't have a viable backup.  Hopefully we get Fournette but that's a big wish. 

And next year he would only count 2.5 mill against the cap. 

We are doing that to save money on the 50 mill in cap space we already have.

smh.. I don't get it.  I must be missing something. 

Matt Forte and Jonathan Stewart's previous 5 years. 

JStew- 2012-2016  54 games played.

rush yds- 3138, 4.0 ypc, 19 TDs, 73 rec., 541yds, 3 TD...avg YFS per season-736. 12 fumbles.

Matt Forte- 2011-2015 72 games played.

rush yds- 5366, 4.4 ypc., 27 TDs, 316 receptions, 2621 yds., 12 TDs. Avg. YFS per season- 1597. Fumbles 10.

JStew has nowhere near the resume that Forte had last year. And he got 2/9 basically, as you said. So about 60% of the production, with a higher injury risk. Sounds like around 2.5-2-8M to me. 

Now, He's not getting paid 8.25M this year. His salary would be 5.5M. He already got the rest many years ago. Cutting that down to 2.5 for this year, and putting 2M in a bonus that counts next year is nothing he shouldn't accept. 

So no, JS is not worth 2 years/ 11M. Nor is he worth near 8M this year. 

20 hours ago, guffeyp said:

Where are your numbers coming from? Cap savings this year would only be 4.75m if Stewart is cut. We won't find a replacement of equal value for that amount.

If we cut JS with a June 1 designation, the cap savings this year would be 6.25M. 2M in dead money this year. 1.5 next year. 

And as I've said numerous times, I don't want him gone in any way. There are many options besides paying him full contract price when you don't have to.

Nothing is gunna happen regarding Stewart until the end of preseason if at all...if we don't land a top RB, no way will we cut him. Our offense is already in shambles. We'd have to at least see how his replacement looks first.

I agree with all the posts saying his production doesn't match what we're paying him. It's a very rational argument. But Getteman saw what our offense looked like last year without Stew. It was terrible.

And Andy Lee? Yall wanna cut our MVP from last year?? After giving up a 4th for him?!? No thanks

Archived