• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

BYU RB Jamaal Williams - The Most NFL Ready RB From This Class?

Saca312

While everyone is talking about Kamara's underwear olympics heroics, Cooks overrated and inflated stats, and Fournette's pure talent and power, there's one back that's making the case he may just be the most prepared RB for the NFL.

Now, that doesn't mean he's the best RB prospect. He still has work to do, and he may not be the most powerful or shiftiest of backs, but he's got the mental fortitude for the game.

I recently stumbled upon a nice find that really dwells into the mind of a RB in game situations. He showcases the "feel" of a RB and talent in that area. 

Jamaal Williams comes in talking about his game, and what he thinks of during certain situations. Showcases good intelligence.

In the video below, a draftnik was lucky enough to be able to get Jamaal on his show to talk about his game. I recommend you watch if you want to see through the eyes of an actual RB prospect and what they do and why they do it.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/02/23/rsp-film-room-no-100-rb-jamaal-williams-wjamaal-williams/

Within the first 30 seconds of watching Jamaal Williams’ tape, I saw an NFL running back. I’m not saying I saw everything I needed to see from Williams’ game in that brief span.

It has less to do with speed, quickness, power, or a specific technique and more to do with how he moves. What I saw was presence.

Athletes are performers and there are performers on stage or screen that have presence. Regardless of their strengths and weaknesses as performers, they look so at home in their performance setting that they appear natural.

I’m not trying to sell you on the over-romanticized notion of natural talent. Whether it kicks in before or after the thousands of hours of grueling work, every good player has some of that natural stuff.

Williams moves like a runner with feel for the position and the game. Feel is a great commodity in performance.

A dark-horse RB candidate with intelligence that excels. He may not be the flashiest guy, but could he be a solid RB in the NFL?

You decide.

Like we discussed in another thread, if we miss out on Fournette in the first, or decide to go another way altogether, then Williams is my guy. He didn't necessarily help himself yesterday, but didn't hurt himself either. He's there, right under the radar.

He's my pick after LF.

Let me clarify that before people go nuts. He's the 2nd RB I would take where I believe we could get him. Meaning, Cook and McCaffrey( or Kamara)won't be at 40. So forget them. And I'm not a fan of this class as much as most. I want him as comp pick, or that area. So I guess he's my 5th. If we miss on LF, I would love him and next year draft him a partner in the 2nd or 3rd. Like Freeman/Coleman.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Like we discussed in another thread, if we miss out on Fournette in the first, or decide to go another way altogether, then Williams is my guy. He didn't necessarily help himself yesterday, but didn't hurt himself either. He's there, right under the radar.

Definitely agree with you there. I don't get the Kamara hype at all. His instincts and decision making are terrible. Jamaal Williams has all the tools, mental fortitude, and intelliegence to be a great back.

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

He's my pick after LF.

Let me clarify that before people go nuts. He's the 2nd RB I would take where I believe we could get him. Meaning, Cook and McCaffrey( or Kamara)won't be at 40. So forget them. And I'm not a fan of this class as much as most. I want him as comp pick, or that area. So I guess he's my 5th. If we miss on LF, I would love him and next year draft him a partner in the 2nd or 3rd. Like Freeman/Coleman.

I'd have him right after McCaffery honestly, so 3rd best RB imo. Cook is the most overrated RB I've seen in a while alomg with Kamara.

Cook has a low ceiling, while Kamara just doesn't have the decision making that fits for an NFL back. Both are being overhyped when they're nothing special honestly.

1 minute ago, SetfreexX said:

This draft profile, much like many of Zierlein's is dated. I would suggest the links in my post that are more current. What Zierlein says here, and what's on tape, don't necessarily match up. But admittedly, his draft profiles have been a little willy nilly.

51 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

While everyone is talking about Kamara's underwear olympics heroics, Cooks overrated and inflated stats, and Fournette's pure talent and power, there's one back that's making the case he may just be the most prepared RB for the NFL.

Now, that doesn't mean he's the best RB prospect. He still has work to do, and he may not be the most powerful or shiftiest of backs, but he's got the mental fortitude for the game.

I recently stumbled upon a nice find that really dwells into the mind of a RB in game situations. He showcases the "feel" of a RB and talent in that area. 

Jamaal Williams comes in talking about his game, and what he thinks of during certain situations. Showcases good intelligence.

In the video below, a draftnik was lucky enough to be able to get Jamaal on his show to talk about his game. I recommend you watch if you want to see through the eyes of an actual RB prospect and what they do and why they do it.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/02/23/rsp-film-room-no-100-rb-jamaal-williams-wjamaal-williams/

A dark-horse RB candidate with intelligence that excels. He may not be the flashiest guy, but could he be a solid RB in the NFL?

You decide.

I have seen him play against msstate and he is 3 down back I'm wouldn't  be opposed to him if we got OJ Howard in the 1st. 

5 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Because Fournette might not be available.

Yea so true. This is what I've come to conclusion after reading on here: 

Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen, Mitch Trubisky, Leonard Fournette, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Solomon Thomas, Derek Barnett, Marshon Lattimore, Mike Williams, Corey Davis, Dalvin Cook, OJ Howard, Deshaun Watson and Deshone Kizer will all be gone by the no8 pick. 

Archived