• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Allen vs Thomas

AU-panther

Allen is a monster on the field but for him to only put up 21 reps tells me that there is something wrong with his shoulders. Thomas is a more explosive guy and he fits our scheme perfectly as a 4-3 DE. I would want Thomas over Allen if it came down to those two. 

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

Speaking of Taco, Thomas did better than him in every drill also.  Outside of Garrett, Taco and Barnett are probably the 2 defensive ends that most people would consider next in line. Thomas did considerable better in every drill than both of them including the quickness type of drills such as 3 cone.

This idea that he doesn't have the speed to play on the edge is it because he wasn't asked to in his college system or because he can't?

Also people need to consider that we just signed Addison to a decent size deal.  Addison is going to play RDE.  You don't sign a guy to that kind of deal to be a back up.  This is one reason I don't think Barnett is really in consideration for us.

The LDE on the other hand tends to be covered up by a TE on a lot of plays, so inside power is probably a little more important on he left side.  Not to mention run support is more important.

Thomas is my favorite DE. Hell, I would still take Allen and try him at DE. I'm just saying, Taco and Barnett are your more traditional 43 DE. 

It's taken me a minute to warm up to Thomas, but after diving deeper into what cut-up vids I could find of him and the Addison signing, makes me want him at 8 more now. 

I do think Allen can play DE in the NFL and will surprise people, but his strength disappointed me, and makes me think there is more to the injury than just smoke. 

That being said, if Allen drops out of the top 7, wouldn't Thomas be the next DE to slide into his position as the #2 DE after Garrett, thus off the board at 8?

2 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

I've been tooting the Thomas hypetrain for months. If anybody bothered to watch him play outside the highlight vids and Bowl game, they'll know Solomon is a fugging stud with big time athleticism and tenacity. 

Allen is great too but those shoulders worry me.

I agree with you completely.  If Solomon Thomas is there at 8 I think he's the pick.  I watched some games on him and he is constantly drawing double teams.  People went in knowing they had to double him or get destroyed.  Not sure he gets to 8 that's the problem.

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Allen may be a very good DT or 3-4 DE but if they both play 4-3 DE Thomas will be the far superior player. Thomas is a natural DE. Allen is not. Thomas has the explosion, the handwork, etc to play DE. Allen doesn't. 

His athletic testing also says he will be a better edge player than Taco or Barnett.  I would be very disappointed if we draft Taco or Barnett at 8.  They are second round talents.

Archived