• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Picks 8-15 in the past

AU-panther

Seems like a lot of people think that trading down would be stupid because we are guaranteed some elite player at 8.  Personally I'm not convinced that is the case.   I could see a situation where the top tier players are gone and the group of players might not be such "sure things".

Here are picks 8-15 for the past few years.

Jack Conklin

Leonard Floyd

Eli Apple

Vernon Hargreaves lll

Sheldon Rankins

Laramy Tunsil

Karl Joseph

Corey Coleman

Vic Beasley

Ereck Flowers

Todd Gurley

Trae Waynes

Danny Shelton

Andrés Peat

DeVante Parker

Melvin Gordon

Justin Gilbert

Anthony Barr

Eric Ebron

Taylor Lewan

Odell Beckham Jr

Aaron Donald

Kyle Fuller

Ryan Shazier

Tavon Austin

Dee Milliner

Chance Warmack

D.J. Fluker

D.J. Hayden

Sheldon Richardson

Star Lotulelei

Kenny Vaccaro

Ryan Tannehill

Luke Kuechly

Stephon Gilmore 

Dontari Poe

Fletcher Cox

Micheal Floyd

Micheal Brockers

Bruce Irvin

Jake Locker

Tyrone Smith

Blaine Gabbert

J.J. Watt

Christian Ponder

Nick Fairley

Robert Quinn

Mike Pouncey

After looking at this list maybe we should be less concerned about which position we draft and more concernened about who actually has the best chance of being successful.

Also of those last 7 drafts how many times did the 8th place picking team pick the best player? Would they have been better off trading down?

1 minute ago, tiger7_88 said:

Who is our trading partner?

What are they giving us to move up?

I totally agree that trading down is easier said than done.  I've stated that there in the past.

The point of my post was to illustrate that at pick #8 we aren't guaranteed some 10 year all pro like some people think.  Or at least history tells us we aren't.   Some people act like trading down would be stupid.  How many times in the last 6 years would it have been stupid?

Again, I simply can't see trading down below the Saints as they get to keep the "quatah" in a much needed pass rusher we covet while we get two dimes.  Buffalo jumping Cincy to get to us makes no sense as they don't even have a 4th round pick and who/what/when/where/why would they do that?  And, Cincy also covets a pass rusher among other positions.  I understand the discussion but I think it's a waste of time.  At 8 anyway.

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I totally agree that trading down is easier said than done.  I've stated that there in the past.

The point of my post was to illustrate that at pick #8 we aren't guaranteed some 10 year all pro like some people think.  Or at least history tells us we aren't.   Some people act like trading down would be stupid.  How many times in the last 6 years would it have been stupid?

It really depends on who's left and how we value them. 

For instance lets say pre-draft we rank them like this. 

Player  1-5 are A+ fits for our team. 

Players 6-12 are A'S.

Players 13-22 are B+'S.

If an A+ remains you take them.

If all the A+s are gone but all 7 of the A'S remain, meaning players we would equally be glad to have then sure trade down a couple spots if it picks us up good compensation to do so. 

To trade down to that third tier it would have to be a hell of an offer.

51 minutes ago, panther4life said:

It really depends on who's left and how we value them. 

For instance lets say pre-draft we rank them like this. 

Player  1-5 are A+ fits for our team. 

Players 6-12 are A'S.

Players 13-22 are B+'S.

If an A+ remains you take them.

If all the A+s are gone but all 7 of the A'S remain, meaning players we would equally be glad to have then sure trade down a couple spots if it picks us up good compensation to do so. 

To trade down to that third tier it would have to be a hell of an offer.

This is what BPA looks like in my book.

Archived