• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RB Samaje Perine - The Next "Le'Veon Bell" Transformation And Breakout?

Saca312

He's the number 4 back on my Panthers Big Board (currently #46 overall,) but I like him personally more than two of the guys I have ranked ahead of him (McCaffery and Kamara) and second overall behind Fournette.

I ranked him lower than the other two because I think the Panthers safely can (because other teams will be undervaluing him.)

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210262415

Junior Cornerback Zack Sanchez

"It was December around the time of the bowl game. I had rolled my ankle, so I'm working out with the guys that were injured and we do 10 sets of 10 on bench (press). This dude had 225 on it for 10 sets. Nobody finishes with the weight they start with, except Samaje. And (former strength) Coach Rodney (Rideaux) is talking to Samaje the whole time thinking that he can't do it. So Samaje gets to his last five reps and he's just staring at Rodney the whole time. So he did 100 reps at 225 with ease and that's when I knew this was the strongest dude that I've ever seen in my life."

This dude will wreck you. He's going to be a bad man in the NFL and teams are apparently sleeping on him.

Someone do a stats correlation on RB success and bench reps. I'm betting there won't be a bit of validity to it.

Like I said in the combine thread, the dude is built to bench press. Short armed, barrel chested dudes are always the best bench pressers. In all honesty, the bench press is a piss poor lift to determine football playing strength.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Ricky Williams and J. Stew were a lot faster than Perine. Hell, I bet Stew could still outrun Perine right now.

Again, to me, timed speed isn't that important. There's a Newton equation waiting to be made about force, mass, and acceleration, and all I will say is that Perine is strong in the ways of the Force.

1 minute ago, Bronn said:

Again, to me, timed speed isn't that important. There's a Newton equation waiting to be made about force, mass, and acceleration, and all I will say is that Perine is strong in the ways of the Force.

Timed speed isn't all that important, but playing speed is. Perine doesn't play very fast. He'll be getting chased down from behind by LBs in the NFL. Forget DBs, LBs will be catching him with ease. He did have a longest run of the season of 66 yards vs. Oklahoma State (the #82 rushing defense in the country) but his 2nd longest was only 30 yards. In 6 of 10 games last year, his longest run was 21 yards or less. His four 100+ yard games came against the #60, #77, #82, and #87 run defenses.

Against good run defenses? 

Houston, #4 run defense - 6 carries for 31 yards

Ohio State, #19 run defense - 17 carries for 60 yards

Kansas State, #11 run defense - 3 carries for 11 yards

Auburn, #27 run defense - 17 carries for 86 yards

Oklahoma tended to go to Mixon more against the better run defenses and I don't think that was a coincidence.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Timed speed isn't all that important, but playing speed is. Perine doesn't play very fast. He'll be getting chased down from behind by LBs in the NFL. Forget DBs, LBs will be catching him with ease. He did have a longest run of the season of 66 yards vs. Oklahoma State (the #82 rushing defense in the country) but his 2nd longest was only 30 yards. In 6 of 10 games last year, his longest run was 21 yards or less. His four 100+ yard games came against the #60, #77, #82, and #87 run defenses.

Against good run defenses? 

Houston, #4 run defense - 6 carries for 31 yards

Ohio State, #19 run defense - 17 carries for 60 yards

Kansas State, #11 run defense - 3 carries for 11 yards

Auburn, #27 run defense - 17 carries for 86 yards

Oklahoma tended to go to Mixon more against the better run defenses and I don't think that was a coincidence.

He doesn't have to play fast. He is a physical RB that has a low center of gravity and the ability to shed tackles because of his mass and power.

I'm not arguing that Mixon isn't the better back. I'm arguing that they are different backs, and that Perine will be successful in the NFL in the right system. A lot of his tape is similar to Stewart's at Oregon.

11 minutes ago, Bronn said:

He doesn't have to play fast. He is a physical RB that has a low center of gravity and the ability to shed tackles because of his mass and power.

I'm not arguing that Mixon isn't the better back. I'm arguing that they are different backs, and that Perine will be successful in the NFL in the right system. A lot of his tape is similar to Stewart's at Oregon.

When's the last time Stewart even showed breakaway speed? Playoffs against Seattle? Even that's a stretch as Sherman dragged him down.

You don't have to have breakaway speed to be successful in this league.

Archived