• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Difference Between the Carolina Franchises

Mother Grabber

It had nothing to do with cities it is about the organizations. But let me go back to my original statement. Panthers dont have to win every year to make money. Hurricanes on the other hand lose money if they dont make the playoffs or barely break even. That is a big motivator for any owner to improve his team.

I agree. The Panthers can afford to sit around and wait, and give the staff and the team the benefit of the doubt. Play the patience thing..

Hurricanes can't. If they could have, they probably wouldn't have fired Peter Laviolette mid-season. But they knew that barely missing the playoffs again was not something that they could afford.

This is a very good point. The power of the NFL as the king of sports in the US does provide it's teams with a bit of a security blanket, and PSLs just add to that. This takes us back to the other thread about a lack of accountability which is leading to the Panther's continual mediocrity. They need to be careful, though. The blanket isn't infinite, as Jacksonville is discovering. The Panther's FO better start feeling some urgency soon, or we may find ourselves in a similar situation.

Actually, the Whalers/Hurricanes sucked for the last five seasons in Hartford and first season in Carolina. It is also a stretch to say that the Panthers "are an expansion team." "Were" an expansion team, yes. Are after 15 years, no.

What? The Panthers will always be an "Expansion" team.

And the Hurricanes took over an all ready functioning franchise.

Archived