• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OTA observations Day 9

Has Charles Johnson the wide receiver practiced or is he still on the side?

If Duke can put together a mini-camp, training camp, and preseason (big if) performance as good as his OTA performance, maybe he can slide into what was thought would be Charles Johnson's roster spot.

Obviously Benjamin's, Funchess's, and Samuel's roster spots are safe. Based off what we're hearing Shepard's spot seems to be safe as well. That could potentially leave one, maybe even two spots open for Bersin, Johnson, Byrd, Duke, Garrett, Ross, Clay, and Frazier.

Two of those guys (Bersin and Johnson) seem to be hurt, three seem to be nonexistent based off OTA reports (Garrett, Clay, and Frazier), two seem to be doing okay (Byrd and Ross), and one seems to be killing it (Duke). 

Looking at the numbers game, maybe Duke's path to a roster spot isn't as difficult as it was thought; especially if he could return kicks/punts.

If he keeps performing it seems as though maybe it could come down to him and Charles Johnson.

All hypothetical of course, but it's fun to think that we could have come away with a good UDFA wide out after being teased by all of these Taye Biddle impersonators. 

Artis-Payne's dash elicited the now-familar "YEAHHH!" scream behind the play from quarterback/head cheerleader Cam Newtonicon-article-link.gif. But on the next play, when backup Derek Andersonicon-article-link.gif was "sacked," linebacker Thomas Davisicon-article-link.gif directed his own "YEAHHH!" scream toward Newton. 

Love the back and forth from vet leadership on both sides of the ball.  I have a good feeling about this year.....

43 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Has Charles Johnson the wide receiver practiced or is he still on the side?

If Duke can put together a mini-camp, training camp, and preseason (big if) performance as good as his OTA performance, maybe he can slide into what was thought would be Charles Johnson's roster spot.

Obviously Benjamin's, Funchess's, and Samuel's roster spots are safe. Based off what we're hearing Shepard's spot seems to be safe as well. That could potentially leave one, maybe even two spots open for Bersin, Johnson, Byrd, Duke, Garrett, Ross, Clay, and Frazier.

Two of those guys (Bersin and Johnson) seem to be hurt, three seem to be nonexistent based off OTA reports (Garrett, Clay, and Frazier), two seem to be doing okay (Byrd and Ross), and one seems to be killing it (Duke). 

Looking at the numbers game, maybe Duke's path to a roster spot isn't as difficult as it was thought; especially if he could return kicks/punts.

If he keeps performing it seems as though maybe it could come down to him and Charles Johnson.

All hypothetical of course, but it's fun to think that we could have come away with a good UDFA wide out after being teased by all of these Taye Biddle impersonators. 

Bersin had ankle surgery the other day

Really curious to get a look at how well Cash moves at 230. Would love for him to solidify himself as a legit backup LB in addition to a special teamer. The guy's a football player.

Also curious to see Blechen at safety. I'm always interested when a guy changes positions. Shows that the staff is really trying to find a spot for the guy. I don't think they'd be bothering to ask him to learn a new position in the defense if they knew he was just camp fodder. 

Yeah, Sanchez was a waste of a draft pick, but I think most knew he was a bit of a long shot anyway. We took a shot on a guy who showed good ball skills and a knack for getting INTs in college. Stings to know that the 2nd leading rusher in the NFL was taken nine picks later. Can't remember who I was wanting in his spot, but it wasn't Jordan Howard. I think it was Matt Judon. He had 4 sacks as a rookie for the Ravens.

5 minutes ago, csx said:

I'm fairly sure Blechen was always a college safety. He never played a snap as an NFL linebacker so it's not a huge deal to move him back to SS 

He was a college safety. Still though, if you know he doesn't have a shot, I don't think you bother. Gotta think they saw something out of him that makes them thing he can possibly help out at safety.

Or... maybe they just needed some camp fodder at safety and decided to go with a familiar face.

Archived