• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wide receivers camp preview, who is in and who is out?

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/07/22/carolina-panthers-receivers-2/

Quick write up for anyone who hasn't been paying much attention this offseason. 

TLDR version

KB, Funch, Samuel, Shepard are locks

the rest for fighting for one maybe two spots. 

Dark horse - Austin Duke

Dark Horse- Fred Ross 

Funchess isn't a lock

40 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Why is it that Rivera and Gettleman can see that Funchess wasn't given enough opportunities, but you keep pushing your own shaky narrative about him? You don't know more than they do. 

They may feel he wasn't given enough opportunities or the right opportunities. They'd be in a great position to determine that. But then my question would be why did that take them two years to figure out?

My narrative isn't shaky nor necessarily solely my own. It's a stance based on cold, hard stats. Funchess' production per passing target is abysmal. That's irrefutable. It's a fact, not an opinion, to say that he's done little with the opportunities given him. Now, whether or not he was used properly, etc. is a completely different conversation.

42 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They may feel he wasn't given enough opportunities or the right opportunities. They'd be in a great position to determine that. But then my question would be why did that take them two years to figure out?

My narrative isn't shaky nor necessarily solely my own. It's a stance based on cold, hard stats. Funchess' production per passing target is abysmal. That's irrefutable. It's a fact, not an opinion, to say that he's done little with the opportunities given him. Now, whether or not he was used properly, etc. is a completely different conversation.

If you're going to base anything off of that clusterfug of a train wreck offense without considering the entirety of the dynamics of what was transpiring, then you're being shortsighted. Funny that you don't give him any credit for being one of the more efficient receivers based upon his rookie year. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2646311-why-panthers-wr-devin-funchess-is-poised-for-breakout-sophomore-season

Are you going to say that Cam sucks because he fell off of a cliff last year. It's no wonder that Funchess fell off when the QB fell off, and the most important people involved admitted that they didn't use him enough/improperly. It's really not a mystery, LG. There is a correlation, and it's not all Devin's fault.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If you're going to base anything off of that clusterfug of a train wreck offense without considering the entirety of the dynamics of what was transpiring, then you're being shortsighted. Funny that you don't give him any credit for being one of the more efficient receivers based upon his rookie year. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2646311-why-panthers-wr-devin-funchess-is-poised-for-breakout-sophomore-season

Are you going to say that Cam sucks because he fell off of a cliff last year. It's no wonder that Funchess fell off when the QB fell off, and the most important people involved admired that they didn't use him enough/improperly. It's really not a mystery, LG. 

Numerous times I've broken down the efficiency of our receivers last year. Long story short, KB was roughly the same as his rookie year, Olsen was virtually identical to his career average as a Panther and Ginn was markedly better. Philly and Funchess fell off a cliff. It wasn't just a product of Cam not playing well or the offense as a whole not playing well. Two receivers played really awful football for whatever reason, but whatever the reason, it didn't have a significant impact in our top three targets.

30 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

34 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If this isn't the epitome of wishful thinking, I don't know what is.

Doubt it Funchess doesn't have any unique skill set he is a poor man version of KB.  A solid depth player but nothing more 

Curtis is going to be the #2WR who can be moved around and provide all kinds of mismatch 

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Numerous times I've broken down the efficiency of our receivers last year. Long story short, KB was roughly the same as his rookie year, Olsen was virtually identical to his career average as a Panther and Ginn was markedly better. Philly and Funchess fell off a cliff. It wasnt just a product of Cam not playing well or the offense as a whole playing well. Two receivers played really awful football for whatever reason, but whatever the reason, it didn't have a significant impact in our top three targets.

First of all, a TE's numbers shouldn't be necessarily compared to a wide receiver's numbers in my opinion, because you're dealing with a different animal. It should be easier for a pass-catching TE to get open and exploit mismatches.

Secondly, unless I'm totally wrong, KB's efficiency isn't the best, so saying that it basically stayed the same isn't so great. 

Third, Ginn is a speed-merc whose efficiency numbers should always be high because that's what he does. Hell, if he had hands he'd be a legitimate WR1.

Last, it's a helluva lot easier to get into the flow of the game and develop chemistry if you're the first and second read who is getting plenty of snaps and being forced-fed the ball. 

56 minutes ago, XOBlackxJokerOX said:

It's past time for Bersin to waste a roster spot elsewhere. He's simply not a playmaker. He's a possessing WR and we have plenty of those in the roster already (KB and Funch).

Understood.  And I won't be shocked at all if he doesn't make it, nor upset.  I'm not a Bersin fangirl.  After all he was cut last season before he was brought back.

The one thing he does provide is plug & play depth if one of our other guys gets hurt.  Knows the playbook inside & out.  Runs pretty solid routes.  Has decent size and hands, and can get some clutch 1st downs.  I don't know what more you want in a WR5, unless it's a very specific special teams role (speed / returner).

IF KB & Funch show some passion & hunger and are making plays, and Samuel & Shepard both add speed, skill at slot, YAC!!! and a ton of new energy, what more do you really need in a WR5 than what Bersin brings? He's solid depth.  He's normally not gonna see the field much anyway... so I'm fine if they go the boring / safe route and just keep him for insurance, especially if they keep a young guy with big potential (Duke?) as WR6.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

First of all, a TE's numbers shouldn't be necessarily compared to a wide receiver's numbers in my opinion, because you're dealing with a different animal. It should be easier for a pass-catching TE to get open and exploit mismatches.

Secondly, unless I'm totally wrong, KB's efficiency isn't the best, so saying that it basically stayed the same isn't so great. 

Third, Ginn is a speed-merc whose efficiency numbers should always be high because that's what he does. Hell, if he had hands he'd be a legitimate WR1.

Last, it's a helluva lot easier to get into the flow of the game and develop chemistry if you're the first and second read who is getting plenty of snaps and being forced-fed the ball. 

So, what makes Funchess so special that he gets a pass? Everyone else has excuses for their efficiency numbers being at or above their averages, but Funchess is a special case who was uniquely impacted?

Honestly, I think it boils down to Funchess not getting more opportunities because he didnt do much of anything to earn more opportunities and that's a more than a little concerning given that he was a 2nd round pick who finished his rookie year strong, supposedly had a great off-season, then fell off a cliff when the regular season started. And it wasn't like he just got lost in the mix in an excellent receiving corps.

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So, what makes Funchess so special that he gets a pass? Everyone else has excuses for their efficiency numbers being at or above their averages, but Funchess is a special case who was uniquely impacted?

Honestly, I think it boils down to Funchess not getting more opportunities because he didnt do much of anything to earn more opportunities and that's a more than a little concerning given that he was a 2nd round pick who finished his rookie year strong, supposedly had a great off-season, then fell off a cliff when the regular season started. And it wasn't like he just got lost in the mix in an excellent receiving corps.

Well when the coach admits that "they" basically fuged up with Funchess (and the GM cosigns that assertion with the same admittance), I have to believe them, especially when I saw progression and improvement his rookie year into the next training camp.

Archived