• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wide receivers camp preview, who is in and who is out?

Jeremy Igo

Nice write up Jeremy.

Any thoughts on what the team - and especially Hurney - might particularly value in a WR5?

• Is it ability to come in and fill in for any injured guy (ala Bersin)?
  • Or is it special teams value, eg. speed in returns (ala Byrd)?
  • Or would it be most upside (maybe favoring a rookie like Duke)?
  • Or some other quality.... being a local?  (Bersin, Byrd, Duke)

I wasn't following the team so closely in the Hurney era.  I truly started my Panthers obsession in late 2012...  So I'm curious about what Marty might prioritize.

My current bets are with Bersin & Byrd or Duke.  Given how few snaps a WR5 plays (barring injury to one of the other guys), I'm guessing most important qualities are plug & play reliability (Bersin) should someone go down and special teams value.

I know Bersin's been dealing with an injury or coming off surgery (forget which) that limited him in OTAs.  It will be interesting to see his place in the pecking order come camp... but for a lot of reasons he still makes sense as depth, IF he still shows good hands and good routes.  This could especially be true this year if we've got guys like CMC, Samuel & Shepard as weapons in our return game.  We wouldn't need to count on our WR5 being our returner...

I think we only keep 5 WR with essentially having CMC as a hybrid we don't need to carry as many. I hate to be the one that says this, but ask me after some preseason practices and games!

As of today my hope would be a Charles Johnson or Garrett balls out. The reasoning is that to be honest both KB & Funch, our large WRs, have been very inconsistent. If one of those 2 guys can step it up that would be great for our team. 

I think Ross/Duke will be practice squad this year but once again actually seeing these guys in game will definitely change my mind!

I think we only keep 5 WR with essentially having CMC as a hybrid we don't need to carry as many. I hate to be the one that says this, but ask me after some preseason practices and games!
As of today my hope would be a Charles Johnson or Garrett balls out. The reasoning is that to be honest both KB & Funch, our large WRs, have been very inconsistent. If one of those 2 guys can step it up that would be great for our team. 
I think Ross/Duke will be practice squad this year but once again actually seeing these guys in game will definitely change my mind!

Russell Shepard isn't small.

Archived