• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Patriots Have Released DE Kony Ealy - Claimed By NYJ

bobsfoodbasics

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Ealy had an attitude issue from day one, rubbed everyone the wrong way. Walked into the locker room thinking he was something. 

Turns out, he was wrong. 

Well he should be a little more humble from now on. Surely getting rejected by two different teams knocked him down a peg or two. Maybe it would be worth bringing him back for the vet minimum and making him earn it this time.

1 hour ago, csx said:

Nobody knew that beforehand. You can play this absurd game with nearly every pick of every draft.

But I'm not talking about every pick of the draft, I'm talking about the Ealy pick in reference to a couple of receivers which we needed in my opinion, especially Robinson.

I will give you that most people didn't KNOW that Landry or Robinson would be better than Ealy, but more than a few people were absolutely singing praises about Allen Robinson. There was talk that Robinson was perhaps the most underrated receiver in the draft and should have been in the conversation with the top prospects (including KB). Moreover, some here suspected Landry was being underrated as well (especially due to his slow 40 time).

That draft class was considered deep at WR , and being that we needed receivers, it was the perfect time to double dip at the position. Sure we needed DE help as well, but to me, there were waaaaay more questions regarding Ealy at DE than Robinson at WR. I read all kinds of articles back then, but some people were (are) my go-to guys in general, and for position-specific info on players:

Gil Brandt

Greg Cosell

Bucky Brooks

Matt Harmon (receivers)

Stephen White (Defensive Ends)

Now of course there are others, but I always search to see if these guys have put their takes in on certain players, or positions in general.

Being that I have done everything but scream for two playmakers simultaneously at the WR position for the better part of a decade now, you know that I researched Robinson. But, I also read some things about Ealy, especially after learning he was on our board, and to be honest this article here cemented my position that he should not be our first or second round pick:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/8/5566396/kony-ealy-scouting-report-2014-nfl-draft

"I get that how I feel about Ealy is going to be in the minority. Hell, maybe he showed a lot in the other nine games than he did in these five. I can only go by what I see, and I don't see a first-round pick ... maybe not even a second. I also don't want to sound like I'm trashing Ealy. I think he was a fine college player and a big part of why Missouri was in the SEC Championship Game last season. I just don't think he will be special in the NFL."

I wouldn't have taken Ealy before the third (but I suspected he'd likely be gone by then, but that's the nature of the draft). Being that the Panthers visited A-Rob notably late that draft season, I just KNEW that at 60, G-man was going to pull the trigger on him. 

It. Was. Happening! 

Then what does G-man do? He drafts Ealy. Talking about a letdown...

So to me, he absolutely fuged it up.

On an off note, this year, I wanted to pick Chris Godwin, and got excited when I heard that we'd moved up, but I was skeptical Dave would take another receiver, and he didn't. We'll see how that works out for us.

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

But I'm not talking about every pick of the draft, I'm talking about the Ealy pick in reference to a couple of receivers which we needed in my opinion, especially Robinson.

I will give you that most people didn't KNOW that Landry or Robinson would be better than Ealy, but more than a few people were absolutely singing praises about Allen Robinson. There was talk that Robinson was perhaps the most underrated receiver in the draft and should have been in the conversation with the top prospects (including KB). Moreover, some here suspected Landry was being underrated as well (especially due to his slow 40 time).

That draft class was considered deep at WR , and being that we needed receivers, it was the perfect time to double dip at the position. Sure we needed DE help as well, but to me, there were waaaaay more questions regarding Ealy at DE than Robinson at WR. I read all kinds of articles back then, but some people were (are) my go-to guys in general, and for position-specific info on players:

Gil Brandt

Greg Cosell

Bucky Brooks

Matt Harmon (receivers)

Stephen White (Defensive Ends)

Now of course there are others, but I always search to see if these guys have put their takes in on certain players, or positions in general.

Being that I have done everything but scream for two playmakers simultaneously at the WR position for the better part of a decade now, you know that I researched Robinson. But, I also read some things about Ealy, especially after learning he was on our board, and to be honest this article here cemented my position that he should not be our first or second round pick:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/8/5566396/kony-ealy-scouting-report-2014-nfl-draft

I wouldn't have taken Ealy before the third (but I suspected he'd likely be gone by then, but that's thw nature of the draft). Being that the Panthers visited A-Rob notably late that draft season, I just KNEW that at 60, G-man was going to pull the trigger on him. 

It. Was. Happening! 

Then what does G-man do? He drafts Ealy. Talking about a letdown...

So to me, he absolutely fuged it up.

On an off note, this year, I wanted to pick Chris Godwin, and got excited when I heard that we'd moved up, but I was skeptical Dave would take another receiver, and he didn't. We'll see how that works out for us.

Many of us wouldn't have bat an eye if we took ARob at 28 instead of KB. I preferred KB but it was a 1A vs 1B type thing for me.

Add in the fact this was the same offseason we let LaFell and Smitty go there was never a more perfect time to double dip at the WR position. 

Godwin had a nice night last night btw

This borderline celebration of whiffing on a second rounder on a defensive player the year we backed into the playoffs with a losing record is honestly some of the most pathetic rationale I've seen from any fanbase.

The only reason this is remotely not a dumpster fire is because the Patriots let us move up like 8 spots in the draft.

But if this were a move by anyone other than Gettleman, people would still be screaming for his head. Instead we get people fist bumping each other as if we somehow fleeced the Patriots, and didn't blow a crucial pick the year before we appeared in another Super Bowl.

Honestly some of you guys deserve an owner like JR.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

This borderline celebration of whiffing on a second rounder on a defensive player the year we backed into the playoffs with a losing record is honestly some of the most pathetic rationale I've seen from any fanbase.

The only reason this is remotely not a dumpster fire is because the Patriots let us move up like 8 spots in the draft.

But if this were a move by anyone other than Gettleman, people would still be screaming for his head. Instead we get people fist bumping each other as if we somehow fleeced the Patriots, and didn't blow a crucial pick the year before we appeared in another Super Bowl.

Honestly some of you guys deserve an owner like JR.

Are you ever happy? 

It's amazing he had such an impact in the Super Bowl

He is a player that decides when he trys and when he doesn't try it's because he knows he can do it when he wants to. That isnt' a good attitude to have but I think when he wants to dominate he can, he just never wants to and is lazy but if he gets up he can dominate

1 minute ago, uncfan888 said:

Are you ever happy? 

Not about being happy or sad. It's about winning.

Last I checked we won 6 games last year.

Time to set the bar higher. And we aren't going to do that by making excuses about terrible draft selections.

To shift gears a bit. I really hope Funchess doesn't end up with a similar fate. I have high hopes for him, but he's gotta turn it on big this season or that pick is looking rough.

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

Many of us wouldn't have bat an eye if we took ARob at 28 instead of KB. I preferred KB but it was a 1A vs 1B type thing for me.

Add in the fact this was the same offseason we let LaFell and Smitty go there was never a more perfect time to double dip at the WR position. 

Godwin had a nice night last night btw

Don't hurt my feelings!  **covering ears about Godwin**

Yeah, I would have picked Benji too, but I also would have nabbed Robinson in the second and felt like I had stolen something.

I often talk about those defining moments that Dave Gettleman could have cemented his status as an otherworldly GM---things he really should have made happen by making a master stroke. I think I'm going to have to add this to the list.

1. He should have acquired Jared Veldheer, even at the cost of letting Hardy walk.

2. He should have drafted Hunter Henry when the opportunity was right there (not saying Butler is going to be bad).

3. He should have drafted Allen Robinson instead of Kony Ealy.

For all the good that G-man did, he wasn't perfect. To me, he wasn't the genius that some make him out to be on the personnel side of things.

Gettleman left meat on the bone because he was always enamored with big men.

Archived