• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best Available FAs after 53 man cuts...

Catufb85

Alright its officially game week and the roster has been trimmed to 53 and with the release of the Panthers official depth chart for the 49ers, fans are concerned.  Panthers are fielding 2 kickers as of now for Sunday, little to no depth in the secondary with 2 acquisitions of players with little to no experience, and no fullback.  For the life of me i just cant bring myself to think that Hurney or more Ron is satisfied with this roster.   I would be utterly shocked if zero moves are made this week to improve this roster.  My gut tells me they are keeping Gano and Butkner around and you probably will see both kick on Sunday until an ultimate decision is made from either screwing themselves or a trade is acquired for one of them.

Best available Free Agents (no particular order):

S Robert Blanton

TE Gary Barnidge

S Aaron Williams

CB Sam Shields

TE Ladarius Green

CB Leon Hall

2 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Aside from the two kickers, what is so bad about this roster?

The roster looks good overall.  Kept 9 OL with Moton, Larsen, and Van Roten able to provide depth at multiple positions.

Very satisfied with Front 7 on D.  Think we have the best LB corp in the league from starters and depth.

Corners and Safeties are my biggest concern.  After Bradberry, Worley, and Cap if one of them gets injured (just knocked on my desk) we have serious concern.  Cole Luke whos shown potential in preseason and newly acquired Kevon Seymour who has little experience would cause some concerns.  Both are talented but could be another situation like last year with young guys thrown into the fire.  Feel like we need a little more assurance and maybe 1 more Vet CB to assist in the group.

Benefit of carrying 4 backs, 0 FB, and 2 Kickers at this time is you have wiggle room in case of an emergency signing.

so to answer your question, whats bad with this roster is the lack of secondary depth.

5 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

The roster looks good overall.  Kept 9 OL with Moton, Larsen, and Van Roten able to provide depth at multiple positions.

Very satisfied with Front 7 on D.  Think we have the best LB corp in the league from starters and depth.

Corners and Safeties are my biggest concern.  After Bradberry, Worley, and Cap if one of them gets injured (just knocked on my desk) we have serious concern.  Cole Luke whos shown potential in preseason and newly acquired Kevon Seymour who has little experience would cause some concerns.  Both are talented but could be another situation like last year with young guys thrown into the fire.  Feel like we need a little more assurance and maybe 1 more Vet CB to assist in the group.

Benefit of carrying 4 backs, 0 FB, and 2 Kickers at this time is you have wiggle room in case of an emergency signing.

so to answer your question, whats bad with this roster is the lack of secondary depth.

That's pretty darn good though. There will always be one position that has some depth problems just because there aren't enough good players to go around. That's just life in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Marguide said:

The angst over not having a FB on the roster is truly comical.

The angst is from huddlers with an agenda to make Gettleman look like the greatest GM ever, and make Hurney seem too inept to GM this team.  In reality, he and Hurney both suck in different ways and this team is in no worse shape than it was before Gettleman was fired.  Hopefully it is just a transition position and we will have a new GM next season

26 minutes ago, Marguide said:

The angst over not having a FB on the roster is truly comical.

In fairness, during those three seasons where we won the Division and went to the playoffs, our offense ran the ball really well and utilized a fullback a large percentage of the time. Maybe the reason for that was because we had pro bowl caliber play from Mike Tolbert and built the offense to utilize him in the rushing attack, but either way, the fullback position was an important piece to the offense. Going back prior to Tolbert during the first Super Bowl run, Brad Hoover was a key piece blocking for Davis, Foster, etc.

Perhaps people are overreacting and putting too much stock in the position and guys like Dickson and Manhertz can successfully fill that void. But it's not out of the question for fans to be concerned that there isn't a designated fullback on the roster when our success running the ball has leaned a lot on blocking from that position.

Archived