• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The NFL has an Offensive Line Crisis

Ricky Spanish

9 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

College coaches are handicapped by far less practice time. Back in the day, you had 2-a-days in the Spring. Then had them in the Summer. And then again in the Fall. Nowadays, you don't even have 2-a-days. Less practice means their technique is far less polished.

Then add in the fact that more, and more college teams are going to the spread. So those Olinemen are not schooled in the techniques of the Pro game.

IMO, these are the 2 major reasons that Olinemen coming out of college are not as skilled as in days past.

I may have read that wrong. So if I did, don't take this the wrong way. But Powell played for the Orioles. Dude killed my Tigers for what seemed like forever. I defiantly had a love hate relationship with the dude.

You're right about Boog. Shows how much I've paid any attention to baseball in the last thirty plus years, and/or how old I'm getting. He was a big guy at that time, but nowhere near some of the recent monsters I read about after looking it up. 

It may have been mentioned already but I bet the decline also has to do with an emphasis at the youth and college levels of putting your biggest and baddest athlete on the defensive line. Look at Tyron Smith, one of the best LT's in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if he could be a monster DE or interior defensive lineman if he were brought up that way.

15 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

This will never happen and I will assuredly be flamed for suggesting it...

[Hypothetical situation where Jerry brings both Star and Norwell into a conference room and shuts the door. ]

'Fellas, listen up.  Signing both of you greatly improves the odds of keeping Cam healthy and winning a Super Bowl but we cannot sign both of you, if you both expect to get max contracts.  Blows up the cap, you know that.  I am asking each of you to take a reasonable home team discount.  You will still both be set for life and you may eventually retire as a Panther with a Super Bowl ring, along with my great admiration and respect.  Now I am going to leave this room and allow the two of you to discuss this privately.  Take as much time as you would like and this conversation remains between the three of us.'

Game theory calls this the 'Prisoner's Dilemma' and the expectation is that neither will cooperate with the other but sometimes the stars align and you get the unexpected when you appeal to people's higher nature.  

I give it one chance in ten but it is zero chance if you don't give it a try.  Flame away. 

Steelers did something similar with Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace.

It's what I wanted us to do before we signed Turner, with he and Norwell.  They laid out a 4 year 40M contract, and told the two of them the first to sign it, gets it, the one who doesn't isn't getting a contract that year.  Brown jumped on it, and he over performed the deal, but the Steelers came out on top.

As to your scenario, the agents would be in there mucking it up.

Quality offensive linemen are harder to find/keep. Thank you college game, and the modern salery cap. 

Even when you find a quality football player, the modern CBA prohibits enough practices to coach these guys up. 

And guys, the two starting defensive tackle positions are not interchangeable. 

Stars job is to take up multiple blockers and allow the linebackers to fill the gaps. This is a Nose tackle.

Butler, while physically, and is capable of playing both positions, he's more in the mold of KK, than Star. This is known as a 3 technique tackle.

If we lost Star, we'd  be looking for another defensive tackle. 

Star also won't command the same money as KK got. (Thankfully)

We are currently able to replace Norwell if he isn't retained. 

We have no one to adequately replace Star on a full-time basis.

Football has a O line crisis

Why would an athletic crazy athlete choose to be A LT instead of a sack pass rushing DT or a pass rushing linebacker,

Its rare to find a WHOLE Solid O line in the NFL..

And you look at the d lines they have to face. Oh yeah the NFL offense has to evolve. Quick throws, speedy freaks who can run routes and pass catching RBs who can make tackle after contact.

Its a shame. Better O Line play = better all around football games.

I can't imagine being a RB or QB on a NFL team with a below average O line. Thats some scary poo. Look at Deshaun Watson he's gonna be changing soon... 

On 9/13/2017 at 3:18 PM, GoobyPls said:

Anyone else tired of Russell Wilson getting the o-line excuse? This guy holds the ball forever and expects to have a clean pocket 

Their line is terrible. Remember what we did with Nate Chandler?

They did that with like 3 of the guys on their line.

Russell Wilson will be broken by the end of the season if they don't improve. 

Archived