• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A different view of the 6 sacks on Cam Newton

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, CatMan72 said:

Daryl Williams trips over his own feet just as the blitzing LB hits the gap... at that point the playcall doesn't matter, it's over. Cam has to step up to get away from that and is sacked. Trai stays with the most immediate threat and Williams is still on his ass while the stunting DE runs by him. Between plays like this and the holding calls Williams was a liability on Sunday. 

If only we had a big ole rookie RT that we could try out there....

Only one that is on Cam is #3.  Numbers 1,2 and 4 are on Shula.  Just too deep of routes for the rush that was coming from Buffalo.  Number 5 was just a good play by the D, they took away Cam's first option so he didn't have time to go anywhere else.  Number 6 is agree with Jeremy, CMC falling and the Oline getting beat doomed us there.  

I'm watching a lot of other games where QB's are getting the ball out in less than 3 seconds, completing passes, and taking big hits in some cases. The line was bad but there are definitely times where there were guys open underneath if Cam gets the ball out quick enough. I'm sure he will get quicker as the season goes on though.

About getting lined up. Is it the plays coming in slow or is it a lack of urgency to get on the ball? How can we know unless we can hear what Cam hears in his helmet or how long it takes him to call the play in the huddle?

2 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I'm watching a lot of other games where QB's are getting the ball out in less than 3 seconds, completing passes, and taking big hits in some cases. The line was bad but there are definitely times where there were guys open underneath if Cam gets the ball out quick enough. I'm sure he will get quicker as the season goes on though.

About getting lined up. Is it the plays coming in slow or is it a lack of urgency to get on the ball? How can we know unless we can hear what Cam hears in his helmet or how long it takes him to call the play in the huddle?

I consistently saw last night, both teams lining up at around the 15 second mark. Eli and Stafford both called a lot of audibles and for the most part that was plenty of time. I will look at our times lining up more specifically this coming game.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Play just takes way too long to develop. Cam is in trouble before anyone gets open. 

giphy.gif

I disagree as I don't see this play that way at all.  When Cam hits his back foot on that last step that ball needs to be out in front of Funchess making his break wide open in the middle of the field at the bottom for a big gain.  That linebacker didn't drop far enough and would not have intercepted a laser from Newton there.  Looks to me like he was staring at Dickson during his entire drop back.  This one is on Cam IMO.  He didn't do a good job of surveying the field on his drop back on this play.  The rest of your analysis on these plays is pretty spot on.

2 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Play design. You could especially see that on play 1. All deep routes and CMC running some slow developing spin move route. Nowhere to go. 

Play 2 all deep routes with the only check down after a chip block. No outlet until seconds into the play. 

Play 3 - watch Newton's eyes and feet. Benjamin was probably the first read and as Cam made his way through the progression rush got there first. Could have been on Cam could have been on Shule. Don't know the play call. 

Play 4 - 3 slow developing routes. Too late by the time running back cleared through the traffic. Would have been taken down pretty quickly besides. 

Play 5 - watch Newton's eyes and feet. Triangle read. Perfectly covered blitz got there on time. Honestly, Cam should have done his work presnap. From alignment, he could have guessed that out route was going to be open on the left.

Play 6 - was just impossible. Thanks, Kalil. 

What are the down and distances? The run game being so pathetic is exposing the 2016 weakness. 

1- 2nd and 9

2- 3rd and 19 (back to back)

3- 2nd and 10

4- 2nd and 5

5- 2nd and 10

6- 3rd and 17 (back to back)

There you have it. To me the problem is worse when you notice it's happening on 2nd down. To me that says Cam isn't trying to use all three downs. 

Archived