• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Orville

cookinwithgas

Considering how bad the critics panned it, I've been amazed at how much better it has been than I was led to believe.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Seth's work generally, but this is pretty good stuff as a science fiction show. It beats the heck out of some of the bore-fests that have been offered up over the last few years in the genre. There's a bit of Seth's blue humor (and there's a pun there from the first episode) but for the most part, it's just fun. Casting is pretty good and the aliens so far have been better than I expected, they aren't quite cardboard cutouts or just humans in funny suits.

I'll keep watching.

I just started watching it.  First episode: not horrible.  The varying tone is kind of odd.  There are some very funny moments, but not the Family Guy affair.  I'm not sure what to make of it though.  It is a Star Trek spoof?  An original spin on the old formula?

I'm curious to see how it will really make it's own way.

Well, just finished episode 3....  OK, I'm in.  I really like this show.  It's looking at more serious issues with the world through a more accurate prism.  The new Star Trek Discovery has a different job, more giving people a cool star trek story.  This show, they can tell something more currently appropriate through the goofy lens of Seth McFarland.

Like the latest episode about a male only culture that forces gender change surgeries on the rarely born female aliens.  Man, what a heavy issue (when cultures clash), that still made me laugh and also hit me in the guts.  I was REALLY impressed with this episode!

30 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Well, just finished episode 3....  OK, I'm in.  I really like this show.  It's looking at more serious issues with the world through a more accurate prism.  The new Star Trek Discovery has a different job, more giving people a cool star trek story.  This show, they can tell something more currently appropriate through the goofy lens of Seth McFarland.

Like the latest episode about a male only culture that forces gender change surgeries on the rarely born female aliens.  Man, what a heavy issue (when cultures clash), that still made me laugh and also hit me in the guts.  I was REALLY impressed with this episode!

That was the episode I was referencing with this-

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 10:01 PM, cookinbrak said:

That was messed up. But good.

Archived