• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Triple Option

SetfreexX

Sourced from the following - https://www.derp/2017/9/27/16371698/carolina-panthers-film-analysis-all-22-zone-read-triple-option

tropt_run1.PNG

But I bring it here to ask, why is Stewart not the up back on these inside reads & McCaffrey the pitch option....?

It just seems like you'd want Stewart as the up back to run into the teeth of the defense is the read defender doesn't crash, and if he does crash would you not want the player more likely to take it the distance as the pitch option with Cam??

I'm no Professional OC, but we seem to do the opposite often times with Stewart and CMC in the run game. CMC up the gut on short downs, and Stewart on tosses, & stretches on the perimeter. 

Same argument for the passing game, I've see KB, & Funchess both targeted deep on several occasions, but no looks to Byrd, Shep, or Samuel, what am I missing....?

I just don't get it, look at the result here...

tropt_run_14.PNG

I'd much rather see CMC with this kind of open space to work with, and this isn't hating on Stewart but this space for him, and this space for CMC is two totally different animals when it comes to the potential for what either could do with it. 

37 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

I just don't get it, look at the result here...

tropt_run_14.PNG

I'd much rather see CMC with this kind of open space to work with, and this isn't hating on Stewart but this space for him, and this space for CMC is two totally different animals when it comes to the potential for what either could do with it. 

if thats mccaffrey thats a td right there 

55 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Sourced from the following - https://www.derp/2017/9/27/16371698/carolina-panthers-film-analysis-all-22-zone-read-triple-option

tropt_run1.PNG

But I bring it here to ask, why is Stewart not the up back on these inside reads & McCaffrey the pitch option....?

It just seems like you'd want Stewart as the up back to run into the teeth of the defense is the read defender doesn't crash, and if he does crash would you not want the player more likely to take it the distance as the pitch option with Cam??

I'm no Professional OC, but we seem to do the opposite often times with Stewart and CMC in the run game. CMC up the gut on short downs, and Stewart on tosses, & stretches on the perimeter. 

Same argument for the passing game, I've see KB, & Funchess both targeted deep on several occasions, but no looks to Byrd, Shep, or Samuel, what am I missing....?

Because Shula is ass backwards and every thing he does is ass backwards. That pretty much explains it.

3 hours ago, PantherBrew said:

I would guess that 22 garners a lot of attention, and that is the reason the play opens up so well for Stewy.  

Not saying I agree, but just trying to rationalize it. 

I thought about this early on also, but if he's the pitch option does this not open up the inside even more, or free Cam to then run or hand off for more than a one yard gain inside.

My point is we need to put players in positions that highlight their best skill sets, we tend to try to create too many decoys, it looks cute, but it's not always effective.  

Archived