• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's the deal with Shaq continually being asked to cover slot receivers?

KSpan

Shaq is athletic and we all remember him manhandling Fitzgerald in the NFCCG, but why is Wilks continuing to ask him to man up against much quicker and faster slot receivers this year? With all the blitzing being done it's really exposing his limitations against these types of guys. I wasn't able to watch the first couple of games, so did Munnerlyn suck or get hurt or something?

2 minutes ago, AceMan said:

Wilks is being forced to play Shaq more (more 4-3) to justify his 1st round draft status.

It’s hurting the team more overall...

Shaq has been asked to do more than TD the last two games and played well despite being in tough match ups like Golden Tate and Agholor. 

He can play the slot against bigger WRs if we get pressure.

4 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

The issue is that WRs are getting free release with him playing so soft, I think if they have him cover a receiver they need to let him press or play close enough to Jam the WRs 

Reasonable. That's exactly how he dominated Fitzgerald in that game.

4 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Didn't see this but you got the jump here. Looks like the conversation already started, though I don't really agree that Shaw is a wasted pick. I think he's being misused in a situation where few, if any, linebackers would be successful.

Because the days of running nickle primarily on 3rd down have gone the way of the dinosaur. Offenses  (other than ours) are running wrinkles on every down and we getting mismatched constantly by slot receivers. 

Take note Shula

I feel bad for Shaq.  They keep saying they want him to be the next TD...but tell me the last time you saw TD dropping back in man coverage against WRs or fast TEs.  We drafted him to be a playmaker the same way TD is, and when they use him that way he performs like a 1st round draft pick.  When they use him as a CB, of course he'll get burned. 

Archived