• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Got a job offer..

bLACKpANTHER

13 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

This morning - My current job counter-offered with 90K, paid vacay and sick time. Benefits are still good. I'm still a contractor so the vacay and sick time will be a under the table kinda-deal. They really wanted me and they stretched out to keep me. I'm staying with them.

Opinions??

Congrats...you have 2 companies competing for you.  That is a great situation and speaks very well of you.

Opinion?? Do what you think is best for you.  Only you know that.  

20 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

I'd be a government contractor but a full-time Booz employee.. Booz would move me around to different DC gov't contracts.. some might be in Dc, some in Nova.. I could pick to move if something wasn't jiving with the people i work with.. but it would be like moving to a new job every year or maybe every few months..

Tough call, man.  I would stay with the company I have if you're happy.  Money is cool, but if you're not happy, then it really doesn't matter.  

I work in the same type industry and live in the DMV area as well. I was recently put into a similar situation, but I took the job offer (20k raise, 100% telework, less work and stress, but inferior benefits). Haven't looked back since (My last job underpaid me). I'd say if the money is the same at both places, then stay where you are comfortable and happy. Also, I don't know where you currently work, but Booz is a high-end consulting firm. They are more likely to ride you, expect more. and earn that money plus the commute. Sometimes you can't put a price on peace-of-mind.

On 10/25/2017 at 11:09 AM, bLACKpANTHER said:

I'd be a government contractor but a full-time Booz employee.. Booz would move me around to different DC gov't contracts.. some might be in Dc, some in Nova.. I could pick to move if something wasn't jiving with the people i work with.. but it would be like moving to a new job every year or maybe every few months..

Take the new job.   Being a contractor is no fun.    Don't believe their "under the table" nonsense either.   If they really wanted you, they would make those things official.   Like someone said, as a contractor they can just dump you whenever.  

29 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Take the new job.   Being a contractor is no fun.    Don't believe their "under the table" nonsense either.   If they really wanted you, they would make those things official.   Like someone said, as a contractor they can just dump you whenever.  

Employment is generally at-will in most situations, meaning any company can you dump you at any time and for any reason.  There's no loyalty in the government consulting world. If someone high-up wants you gone, you'll be gone in a matter of time. Being an employee might just slow things down a bit. There are perks to be an employee vs a contractor and vice versa.

Just now, Dingo_ate_Babies said:

Employment is generally at-will in most situations, meaning any company can you dump you at any time and for any reason.  There's no loyalty in the government consulting world. If someone high-up wants you gone, you'll be gone in a matter of time. Being an employee might just slow things down a bit. There are perks to be an employee vs a contractor and vice versa.

I don't believe 1099 employees get unemployment in some states for instance.     If there wasn't an advantage for a company to not hire you on, they wouldn't do this lol.   Anyway,  "under the table benefits" is something I wouldn't play with.  

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, bLACKpANTHER said:

I'm staying at my current company.. they stepped up their game ($90K and vacay/sick time) and I am very comfortable with them and the work we are doing together. Merry Christmas - rite!?!

Thanks for checkin in thou.. 

Good man!  It’s the best feeling ever when ur boss values you.

Archived