• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Last Jedi *Spoilers*

Darth Biscuit

10 hours ago, Darth Biscuit said:

Sorry if I spoiled anything @Bronn

Luke and Kylo did not touch lightsabers at anytime during their "fight"... I confirmed on my 2nd viewing.

All good bro ham. I'm one of the world's worst for wanting to look at spoilers anyway, and it was totally my fault for scrolling too far too slowly, intentionally lol. That was the one line I saw and I just stopped there.

Thanks for confirming the lightsaber thing. That clears it up a little for me. Still, kinda a bogus way for him to go out/sacrifice himself IMHO.

5 hours ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

Making Rey’s parents nobodies confirms she is a Mary Sue. 

That’s not good writing. 

TBQH I kinda like that they are nobodies. Basically, like the kid on Canto Bight, anyone has hope of being force sensitive/attuned at this point, and I like that. It means anyone can be a hero.

50 minutes ago, Bronn said:

All good bro ham. I'm one of the world's worst for wanting to look at spoilers anyway, and it was totally my fault for scrolling too far too slowly, intentionally lol. That was the one line I saw and I just stopped there.

Thanks for confirming the lightsaber thing. That clears it up a little for me. Still, kinda a bogus way for him to go out/sacrifice himself IMHO.

I did not like the way they killed Luke off either...  I understand why they did it, it was just too anti-climactic imo...  I would have preferred he went out like Obiwan vs Vader...  

As for the Rey is a nobody thing...  I think they left it open for 'something' else with that but that does fit in with Disney more...  the whole "anyone can be a hero" idea...

My hope with these movies more than anything is that they go somewhere...  that they're not just empty stories but rather one's that complete the Skywalker story...  it's looking more and more like that's NOT what they're doing.

6 hours ago, Bronn said:

TBQH I kinda like that they are nobodies. Basically, like the kid on Canto Bight, anyone has hope of being force sensitive/attuned at this point, and I like that. It means anyone can be a hero.

Ok there being nobodies being able to use the force which has always been the case then there is making Rey a Mary Sue which isn’t good writing at all. 

Before the jedi order was destroyed you had hundreds of force sensitive people with no mention of family. Star Wars just happens to be a story about the skywalkers so it’s kinda stupid for Johnson to back track from what JJ was setting up.

It was a well made film and holds its own but I'm an old timer and still compare to the original trilogy (I realize its a personal problem)

A few of points that I cant get past with regard to the new movies

1.  They killed off the Snorke guy way to easily.  He was annoying but the end of that was way too tidy.

2.  They killed off Han Solo who was the greatest character tying the generations together.  Would love it if they brought him back soap opera style or something.

3.  Han Solo was killed off by the Dollar Store Darth.  Even Heyden Christensen is more intimidating than that guy.  He's like the 5th runner up for best Professor Snape impersonator.  Other than that, he has nothing going for him.

15 hours ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

Can kill his dad right in his face but can’t pull the trigger on blowing up his mom.

These movies aren’t even consistent with themselves 

How else are they going to show the conflict going on inside of him? I can buy that having Han Solo as a dad would suck if you were a nerdy kid with crazy force powers. Your super cool dad thinks you're a dork and he's also kind of scared of you, which are two nice wedges to prevent a good relationship. Ben Solo being a momma's boy isn't that hard to fathom, considering she understands what it's like to have those powers and she birthed him. 

Also, one point I was going to make is that, even though they clearly don't appear to be tying in Rey as a Skywalker or whatever, they are at least carrying on the character archetypes with the new cast.

I see a lot of Han in Poe Dameron and del Toro's character. There's also some Luke in Poe.

2 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

Luke went from being a whiny farm boy to shooting stormtroopers, infiltrating a jail in the most secret battle station in the universe, and blew it up in the course of a day or two. Talk about a Mary Sue.

Still had training, was the son of darth Vader, there is no mention of time so it isn’t a day or two

Theres backstory involving that to support it. 

Please tell me all the back story story that allows for Rey to be better than everyone else in things they are trained at

3 hours ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

Still had training, was the son of darth Vader, there is no mention of time so it isn’t a day or two

Theres backstory involving that to support it. 

Please tell me all the back story story that allows for Rey to be better than everyone else in things they are trained at

Where's the backstory for Anakin Skywalker that allows for some random slave boy on a desert planet to grow up to be Darth Vader. She's following Darth Vader's arc so far. 

Archived