• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Were you satisfied with Wilks' performance this year?

MVPccaffrey

Were you satisfied with Steve Wilks' performance this year?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Were you satisfied with Steve Wilks' performance this year?

• Very much so
    • He was still better than McDermott
    • He wasn't any worse or better than McDermott
    • He was worse than McDermott
    • Not satisfied

It's hard to say since it's the first full season of "his" defensive approach.  I think he may have gotten too aggressive with his overall approach.  The players looked confused or uncertain at times, even Keek himself was off at times. 

I'm hoping that if he's here next year the guys will have had enough time to fully grasp his defense and have a better understanding of their responsibilities.  It was much the same when McD took over if you remember.  It was a transition struggle the first year.  I think it will get better.

When you're best defensive player looks like he's worth about 1/3 what you're paying for him you've failed to some degree. If we're going to continue to blitz that much then we need players who can actually blitz well. Watching Captain and others blitz (Luke getting blown up by little RBs while trying to blitz) was horrifying. We have the wrong pieces in place to play defense like Wilks wants imo.

1 minute ago, outlaw4 said:

It felt like the defense as a whole regressed throughout the year. My biggest problem is that blitzes backfired against QB's too often and we allowed too many big plays in situations where it should've been stopped far earlier. I do like the aggression but we didn't back off when opponents used that tendency against us.

Well said and agree 100%

30 minutes ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

wow, that's nuts. 

do you have a source? 

I saw it on twitter yesterday and now I can't find, so not sure if it is 100% accurate. But with that said, I just did the math and the last 7 games the defense was giving up 387 yards and 25 points a game. Those are very concerning numbers, and not great for someone looking to be a head coach. 

I’m not impressed, defense feasted on weak qbs but got ate alive by some of the top tier guys, same story as years past except we force the issue by blitzing, which I did like at times but got predictable. Besides shaq, didnt really put some players in the best position to succeed. Overall secondary play was abysmal as usually and that was really disappointing 

For those that don’t like Wilks, quick question. Why do you think he’s so sough after? People complaining about the blitzing, but seriously it’s better than the alternative. Our zone defense sucked because of our personnel. Corners sucked. So hey why not blitz. 

Wilks vibe just screams leader of men. I have no doubt he will be a really good HC. 

Archived