• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Zero Percent

Jeremy Igo

14 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

But the GM has to sign off on the move and is certainly going to weight in with their opinion. When Gettleman said it was a Ron question, that was in deference to their relationship and whose duty it is to make the call, and inform his staff and so forth. Gettleman you can be sure had his finger in the decision given his future is tied to the team's record as well. 

That's not strickly true 55....a GM can fire a HC without his job being directly on the line and we see it all the time. Too many of those and yea but simply having your HC hire and fire coordinators without the GM being held responsible is par for the course. The talent on the field is more looked at first and if a GM has all pros and pro bowlers but struggling coordinators then why would he be held accountable if he has put talent on the field.

19 minutes ago, Snake said:

It would never happen if JR was here. I'm not saying I don't wish Dave was here but a unchained Hurney is better than a meddling JR with a Hurney front man. No way Shula would have been fired if JR was involved. 

If JR hadn't been exposed then we wouldn't be having this conversation.  It's the domino effect.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, this is not just us. GMs only have say in the hiring of the head coach. They may sign contracts, but that's it.

Interfering in assistant choices is a quick way to cause friction with your head coach.

GMs have control over everything . It is fine to say that it is your opinion that it is a bad idea for GMs to interfere with assistant choices by the head coach. But you make it sound like it never happens or is taboo isn't true.  GMs and coaches all have different personalities, skills, and need for control. And didn't you say that Gettleman pressured Rivera to dump Shula last year? Sounds like that it is interference.

8 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

His encouragement comes from the sell of the team.  Everyone is auditioning for a job.  Marty is an innocent bystander so to speak.  He's gone no matter what, you know that.

As an interim it also frees him to dump Benjamin, can Shula and Dorsey and whatever else he wants to do. He knows he won't be here if it all goes to hell. Cuts both ways...

16 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

More like a "look at how I'm changing" move when he's not really changing.

I had one full day of hope that Ron, in firing Shula, might have seen the writing on the wall.  I don't think so now.  Ron is Ron and what we're likely to see under the Turner Nepotistic Regime is the same ol' Run-Run-SAVEMECAM! offense.

Because Ron Rivera.

No, make no mistake about it this is Ron's attempt to save his job here.  I'm certain that if he can't deliver a back to back winning season at minimum he's out with new ownership.

As good of a franchise as it is it's still a middle of the road team after 22 years of ownership under it's founder.  JR may be able to sell the team but he can't sell Ron and crew on his recommendation alone.  If I'm shelling out that kind of cheese to purchase a team I'm going to want see proof of consistency before I jump in.

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

GMs have control over everything . It is fine to say that it is your opinion that it is a bad idea for GMs to interfere with assistant choices by the head coach. But you make it sound like it never happens or is taboo isn't true.  GMs and coaches all have different personalities, skills, and need for control. And didn't you say that Gettleman pressured Rivera to dump Shula last year? Sounds like that it is interference.

It's not my opinion. I'm quoting people from the NFL who've spoken about it (including Gettleman).

Gettleman made clear that he could make suggestions, but wouldn't step on Rivera's toes.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

As an interim it also frees him to dump Benjamin, can Shula and Dorsey and whatever else he wants to do. He knows he won't be here if it all goes to hell. Cuts both ways...

I think you are giving Hurney way to much credit.  He's not that smart.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

It's not my opinion. I'm quoting people from the NFL who've spoken about it (including Gettleman).

Be serious. If a GM can dump your number 1 receiver by trading him and then telling you about it afterwards, then telling you the same thing that Gettleman told you last year  which was to dump Shula wouldn't suddenly cause friction.

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Be serious. If a GM can dump your number 1 receiver by trading him and then telling you about it afterwards, then telling you the same thing that Gettleman told you last year  which was to dump Shula wouldn't suddenly cause friction.

That's not how I remember it going down.  If true then that's troubling to hear.  I thought Ron had agreed to it prior to the trade?

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

What are you talking about? Hurney didn't trade KB on a whim all alone. Ron was very much involved.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Perhaps. Still I think his gig as a radio host allowed him to analyze things and talk to a lot of smart folks. Maybe some of it rubbed off.

If we are lucky it did.  But all evidence points to it being Ron's choice and he's even said as much.  Who knows?  Whatever happens it will affect them all in the end.

Archived