• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

definition of a #1 receiver

AU-panther

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

With free agency and the draft coming up I have a feeling that the term "#1 receiver" will be used about 9000 times around here.

What is everyone's definition of what a #1 receiver is?  How many in the league right now would you say fits that definition?

Personally I think there are only a handful guys that are in that top tier, guys like Julio and AB.  Most receivers are largely products of the offensive system they play in and the QB throwing to them.  While everyone wants the next Julio the fact is the aren't easy to find, if they were every team would have one.

If we could just find a quality outside receiver with enough speed to keep the defenses honest I think it would help Cam out immensely.

Julio is out of my number 1 receiver book. He’s a choker. You can’t be a number 1 and miss on 17 out of 18 red zone targets in a season,.. he was 1 for 18 in the red zone for touchdown throws.

hes garbage,.. all garbage time numbers.

so if that’s everyone else’s definition of a number one,.. then no.

id rather have a Diggs, a Thielen,.. and a Michael Thomas— clutch players. 

Funchess is almost there with Julio— dropped the game winning touchdown— and I don’t want to hear the apologists,.. I’ve watched that play over and over— he whiffed, plain and simple.

get some guys, even if they are lesser talent ,.. that have a burning to win and are clutch when it matters. 

7 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You need to add into this and get seperation.  Hell I can run the route tree but am slower than molasses. 

This^

Ill take a guy like a Diggs or a Thielen who were nobodies over Julio any day.

they don’t choke— they win. Julio is a choker. 

The Falcons didn’t win by trading all those picks for Julio—- all the fantasy nerds did.

if you are a fan of fantasy and all that,.. sure, but then again how are you happy he’s on your fantasy team if he goes 1 for 18 In the endzone? 

3 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Josh Gordon is the literal definition.

Everyone else is cheese.

Josh is better talent wise than Julio and he doesn’t choke—

where he’s not as good is not being available to play and hurting his team all these years.

hed have to have turned a page and decided to fix his life— I believe he wants to, and we should go get him.

hopefully his want to be better is stronger than his demons finally.

1 minute ago, theballboy said:

TIER 1 (Number 1): AB, Julio, Keenan Allen, Hopkins, Green, OBJ

TIER 2: Michael Thomas, Thielen, Larry, Cooks, Hill, Marvin Jones, Evans, Landry, TY, Allen Robinson, BeyBey Thomas, Davante Adams, Baldwin, Cooper, Crabtree

TIER 3: Bryant, Watkins, Funch, Juju, Tate, Goodwin, Woods, Kupp, Anderson, Diggs, Kearse, Agholor, Jeffery, Ginn, Wallace, Sterling, Sanu, Lee, Cole, Tyrell, Richardson, Parker, Desean, Pryor, Cobb, Amendola, Bryant, Sanders, Nelson, Doctson, Torrey, Fuller, Moncrief, Matthews, Parker, KB

TIER 4: everyone else

Hell no, already posted this a bunch of times but Julio is a choker— does not belong in that top tier. 

Theres a bunch of guys that can grab more than 1 for 18 in the red zone for the season.

those guys > Julio Jones

1 minute ago, theballboy said:

I agree but I’m being fair. Gordon and Blackmon couldve been two of the best WRs right now. They chose to be idiots instead of millionaires. 

Yep— I said I’m another post about being available to play. 

Gordon can be whatever he wants. We will see what happens next with him.

for us though I don’t want a Julio. I want a clutch player(players really).

id take Cooks or Michael Thomas over a Julio. Damn I’d take Thielen over Julio.

diggs definitely. They go make plays and are clutch when it matters.

3 minutes ago, theballboy said:

Julio would be treated like God if he was wearing a Panther jersey. You can quit the humor now. 

Not if he dropped the game winning touchdown repeatedly. 

Its only humorous because he’s on another team and coveted by fantasy players.

if he were, he would be hated immensely right about now,...

3 minutes ago, theballboy said:

LOL ^^^^^^^^ too funny

I like Diggs. I wanted us to take him in the draft but he fell bc of injury. He’s a mini Steve Smith. Small guy syndrome. Didnt play well this season at all other than the two Saints games. 

Cooks is a one trick pony. 

Michael Thomas is clutch.

Julio is on another level. Not even close.

Another level? Right the basement.

you must think he’s pretty or something? Only reason why you’d be ok with him dropping 17 of 18 touchdowns in the red zone in one season?

cooks catches the ball— Julio can’t hold Michael Thomas jock strap. 

And who again caught the game winning touchdown for Minnesota again? Who dropped the game winning touchdown in the 28-3 Super Bowl That could have saved the Falcons?

again,, you must really think he’s pretty because the rest of it makes no sense.

1 hour ago, LordOfDaWingz said:

If not Calvin, would you like Courtland Sutton? I think he's right there with Calvin as the best receiver in the draft. Personally, I'd like to see us choose a safety or offensive tackle in the 1st round.

Sutton barely gets seperation from DBs in college is not a good sign. I think hes more explosive and agressive than KB but im tired of us having receivers who cant get open consistently and I'm sure Cam feels the same way. 

1 hour ago, thomas96 said:

Brown and Beckham are top tier by themselves, Jones, Green, others are in the next tier. Gordon is in his own pothead tier.

Many NFL types  consider Jones the top of the heap (maybe most), but the only other one in the discussion is AB.  Beckham has not made it to that level.  Pothead or not,  Josh Gordon has top-of-the-shelf talent. 

Just now, top dawg said:

Many NFL types  consider Jones the top of the heap (maybe most), but the only other one in the discussion is AB.  Beckham has not made it to that level.  Pothead or not,  Josh Gordon has top-of-the-shelf talent. 

Jones is unbelievably good. My knock on him is his lack of redzone production throughout his career, inconsistencies in his game and how often he takes plays off due to minor "injuries." Brown and Odell are as consistent as they come, can do every single thing Jones can do and are both somehow way better in the redzone despite both being 4 inches shorter. Gordon is unbelievably talented but I'd hesitate to put him up there until he can show he can do it consistently, which he hasn't shown yet because he hasn't been able to stay on the field. And at any single moment the announcement could come that he fuged up again and is out indefinitely. 

Archived