• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

definition of a #1 receiver

AU-panther

4 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Jones is unbelievably good. My knock on him is his lack of redzone production throughout his career, inconsistencies in his game and how often he takes plays off due to minor "injuries." Brown and Odell are as consistent as they come, can do every single thing Jones can do and are both somehow way better in the redzone despite both being 4 inches shorter. Gordon is unbelievably talented but I'd hesitate to put him up there until he can show he can do it consistently, which he hasn't shown yet because he hasn't been able to stay on the field. And at any single moment the announcement could come that he fuged up again and is out indefinitely. 

I'll concede that OBJ is probably top tier,  but he's going to have to do it for more than three years.  He is a bona-fide WR1! I can't justify OBJ but leave Green out.  Green has been a model of consistency over time. 

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'll concede that OBJ is probably top tier,  but he's going to have to do it for more than three years.  He is a bona-fide WR1! I can't justify OBJ but leave Green out.  Green has been a model of consistency over time. 

Green is up there too. Maybe what I'd do then is put Brown in his own tier and Beckham with Green, Julio, few others. Brown is probably the best WR in every single aspect of the game. Can't think of a single aspect of the position where another player is CLEARLY better than him.

18 minutes ago, top dawg said:

What Gordon did the year that he led the league was really astounding.  People just don't realize it.  But for his addictions,  there's no telling how many yards he's have by now. 

I agree 100% but that was one season and since then his career went off the rails. It MAY be back on track now but we'll have to see a larger sample size and no more suspensions to really be sure. He's got the talent no doubt.

12 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Green is up there too. Maybe what I'd do then is put Brown in his own tier and Beckham with Green, Julio, few others. Brown is probably the best WR in every single aspect of the game. Can't think of a single aspect of the position where another player is CLEARLY better than him.

For real. Antonio Brown makes other elite receivers look average. He’s clearly the best in the NFL today, no question.

best way I can say it. 

Julio drops too many when games are on the line and has too many “injuries” for me. He’s too inconsistent, gets shut down sometimes, and has smal red zone production again 1 touchdown out of 18 endzone targets, 5 receptions and 2 touchdowns out of 26 red zone targets inside the 20.  If it weren’t for the 180 yard games and flashy name, he’d be ostracized. 

AJ isn’t that clutch either. But has a much better redzone and endzone catch rage than Julio. 

Beckham drops a lot of balls— 2016 and 2017 he was up there. One site credited him with 9 drops on the season. Wow. Ginn was 5 to compare. I’d still put Odell above Julio.

#1 WRs

• Almost always catch the football (can you say that about any WR in Cams entire career?) 
  • Excel at creating separation consistently , rarely get locked up/struggle with DBs that press them at the line to throw them off their routes
  • Can both outspeed defenders, and outmuscle them
  • Runs crisp precise routes
  • Stay healthy vast majority of the time (you cant do poo if youre injured all the time)
  • Have an extra chip on their shoulder , or some sort of intangible personality trait that helps them be great 

None of our current WR match the criteria. The only one in the entire Cam/Rivera era that met the criteria was Smith and he was already well past his prime years when Cam got here.

I dont think you need #1 WRs to win SBs or make deep playoff runs . But they help quite a bit. 

Problem is Cam has WRs that dont meet literally all or most of the criteria l listed. Bad hands, slow, lazy routes, get manhadled by DBs, cant stay healthy. 

Cam needs 2 good WRs to go with Funchess and 2 should be brought in no excuses. They dont have to be world beating #1s , but they need to be much better than what we have now. If Samuel/Byrd can stay healthy and contribute as well, thats just an added bonus and if nothing else excellent contributions to special teams and WR depth. But they really shouldnt be relied on until they prove they can stay healthy and contribute. 

Bersin, Clay, and Shepard need to be cut on the first day that its possible to do so. Replace em with real WRs that dont drop balls all the time and get open consistently 

Just now, Hoenheim said:

#1 WRs

• Almost always catch the football (can you say that about any WR in Cams entire career?) 
  • Excel at creating separation consistently , rarely get locked up/struggle with DBs that press them at the line to throw them off their routes
  • Can both outspeed defenders, and outmuscle them
  • Runs crisp precise routes
  • Stay healthy vast majority of the time (you cant do poo if youre injured all the time)
  • Have an extra chip on their shoulder , or some sort of intangible personality trait that helps them be great 

None of our current WR match the criteria. The only one in the entire Cam/Rivera era that met the criteria was Smith and he was already well past his prime years when Cam got here.

I dont think you need #1 WRs to win SBs or make deep playoff runs . But they help quite a bit. 

Problem is Cam has WRs that dont meet literally all or most of the criteria l listed. Bad hands, slow, lazy routes, get manhadled by DBs, cant stay healthy. 

Cam needs 2 good WRs to go with Funchess and 2 should be brought in no excuses. They dont have to be world beating #1s , but they need to be much better than what we have now. If Samuel/Byrd can stay healthy and contribute as well, thats just an added bonus and if nothing else excellent contributions to special teams and WR depth. But they really shouldnt be relied on until they prove they can stay healthy and contribute. 

Bersin, Clay, and Shepard need to be cut on the first day that its possible to do so. Replace em with real WRs that dont drop balls all the time and get open consistently 

I’m on the 4 new receiver bandwagon too.

ill take the Chip Kelly take on receivers—

1. Must beat man coverage,

2. Must catch the ball, especially in high pressure situations(Funchess dropping the ball in the endzone just won’t get out of my head—) gotta catch when the game is on the line— for questions see Diggs for instruction haha.

3. Must be available to play— not ok to take plays off, not dive for footballs, not fight in traffic for them. 

ill take 4 of those over a bunch of high talent underachievers any day.

2 minutes ago, Coheed said:

If we don't take a WR in round 1 this year, I hope we take Anthony Miller in the 2nd or 3rd. I'm positive he's gonna be a fugin stud.  

The odd thing is Huddlers seem to be better at evaluating WR talent than the Panthers professional scouts and GM lol. There were alot of people here calling for DeDe Westbrook, Zay Jones, and even some takers on Smith Shusters upside despite the USC WR stuff. Instead Gettleman takes a frail RB to convert him to WR .

On top of that we took Kelvin Benjamin when Marquise Lee, Allen Robinson, Jarvus Landry were all available. 

And while Funchess has turned into at  least a respetable WR in his 3rd year ,  it was pretty stupid in hindsight to get a WR whose skillset was way too close to Kelvins . Although to Gettlemans credit, there wasn't much WR talent in that draft after Funchess . 

4 hours ago, AU-panther said:

With free agency and the draft coming up I have a feeling that the term "#1 receiver" will be used about 9000 times around here.

What is everyone's definition of what a #1 receiver is?  How many in the league right now would you say fits that definition?

Personally I think there are only a handful guys that are in that top tier, guys like Julio and AB.  Most receivers are largely products of the offensive system they play in and the QB throwing to them.  While everyone wants the next Julio the fact is the aren't easy to find, if they were every team would have one.

If we could just find a quality outside receiver with enough speed to keep the defenses honest I think it would help Cam out immensely.

A guy that you can tell to go run a route and can consistently create separation and make a catch when you need it the most

Archived