• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Panthers won’t go WR

unicar15

1 minute ago, thomas96 said:

@LinvilleGorge

And who knows, it could actually go the other way completely and Harrison turns into a stud perennial All Pro while Fitzpatrick busts...

Yep, very true. Going back to the Landry/OBJ thing, I actually thought that Landry was the safer bet of that pair and I thought OBJ was boom or bust. Both guys have well exceeded my expectations. No clue how LSU gets those type of WR recruits when their QB situation is constantly trash.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Atlanta, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Miami and Minnesota are five right off the top of my head. 

Mohamed Sanu is not better than Funchess.  Funchess might break Detroit's and Miami's lineup as well.  But keep on selling Funchess short.  It didn't work for you too well last offseason. 

13 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Mohamed Sanu is not better than Funchess.  Funchess might break Detroit's and Miami's lineup as well.  But keep on selling Funchess short.  It didn't work for you too well last offseason. 

I honestly don't think I'm selling him short. He's an okay starting WR. You're acting like he's an All Pro. Hell, I hope he is next year but I very seriously doubt it. I'm just fine with Funchess. He's not part of our problem at WR. He's one of the few bright spots. But that doesn't mean I'm going to act like he's a top flight NFL WR. He's not.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly don't think I'm selling him short. He's an okay starting WR. You're acting like he's an All Pro. Hell, I hope he is next year but I very seriously doubt it. I'm just fine with Funchess. He's not part of our problem at WR. He's one of the few bright spots. But that doesn't mean I'm going to act like he's a top flight NFL WR. He's not.

It depends on the definition.  

Save for Antonio and Julio, and maybe  Martavis Bryant (but not yet) or Golden Tate (who may be a has-been), stop acting any receiver of the teams you mentioned are "top flight" NFL receivers. Funchess, though young, is in that class.  

I would rather sign someone proven (or as close to it) in FA. Honestly, with Funch, Samuel, Olsen, McCaffrey (yes the last two are and should be included in our team's passing attack) and Byrd - then add in a proven WR, it far exceeds the weapons. There are not that many GREAT wide receiving corps in the NFL. WR are built by QB play. It is all about Cam's ability, and the ability of the coaches to put Cam in a position to make the plays. 

Remember how Cam was clicking in the Monday night game against Miami? I believe this was the only game we had every one healthy, after KB was dealt. Samuel showed flashes of the NFL WR he can be. Then he dropped a TD which in turn led to him missing the rest of the year. 

I am very interested to see the market values for the WRs this year. 

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you're dodging a position because you're afraid of drafting a bust, then every position is off the table. There have been early drafted busts at every position in the game. OL used to be considered the safest 1st round pick you could make and just look at all the 1st round OL busts there have been in the last decade or so.

the only safe first rounder is calvin ridley.

don't kid me with christian kirk. his hype is potential not reality and potential goes round 2 at the earliest.

no WR imo is first round worthy or safe except ridley imo, and he even has his drawbacks.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Don't get mad. You're just not putting forth a very compelling argument at all.

I am. You just aren’t picking up on it. So here’s another take from a guy who literally only looks at football all day long. 

Bloom says almost exactly what I have said. There will be likely one elite receiver taken. It won’t be at 24 I can almost guarantee that. 

13 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

don't kid me with christian kirk. his hype is potential not reality and potential goes round 2 at the earliest.

no WR imo is first round worthy or safe except ridley imo, and he even has his drawbacks.

I actually really like Kirk...just not as a guy who’s gonna be a sure thing taking him in the first round. You have to hit on those picks. Teams that don’t fall fast.

18 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

James Washington 

2 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

James Washington 

This is a draft where we need a capable talent evaluator. For our needs there should be ample opportunity to pick at the top of the second and prob teams that want to trade up. Make the right trade and you hit big. Do it wrong (as Hurney has shown a huge propensity to do) and you lose. Hurney absolutely can’t be involved in this. Becker needs to move on and hire Dawson or Raye. Get it done and move on from Marty Hurney. 

26 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Everyone at #24 will almost certainly have drawbacks. Guys that play premium positions who are ideal prospects go in the top 10.

Archived