• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers continue to hold out for Hurney

Mr. Scot

...and they might just get their wish.

Hurney investigation could end soon

As has been discussed, Jerry Richardson seems to be willing to fight to his last breath to make Marty Hurney GM of the Panthers again.

It's an incredibly stupid decision to choose Hurney over someone like Lake Dawson, but then most of Jerry Richardson's decisions fall under the "incredibly stupid" category.

I'll be happy when we don't have to deal with his dumbass choices anymore.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

It was selfish of JR to hold out until the end of the season to wait to sell the team. I'm afraid we'll pick a GM only to have a new owner come in next year and tear the team apart and start this all over again.

At this point, that might actually be the best possible outcome.

Jerry Richardson promotes people based on loyalty to him. Whether or not they are actually good at their jobs is irrelevant. Because of this, we have a structure right now that's badly in need of an overhaul.

Obviously, nothing like that is going to happen until Richardson is out of the way.

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It was selfish of JR to hold out until the end of the season to wait to sell the team. I'm afraid we'll pick a GM only to have a new owner come in next year and tear the team apart and start this all over again.

He wanted to be apart of the team in case they went on a championship run ..i dont blame him

Seems like all has been quiet on the interview front after the Fritz Pollard Alliance said that we're all clear on the Rooney Rule front. Seems pretty obvious to me that if the NFL can get Marty cleared then he's the new GM. Pretty much like we all assumed from the get-go. Hurney will almost certainly oversee free agency and the draft this year, but I'd be surprised if new ownership doesn't give him the boot soon. This sucks, but it wasn't at all unexpected.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

...and they might just get their wish.

Hurney investigation could end soon

As has been discussed, Jerry Richardson seems to be willing to fight to his last breath to make Marty Hurney GM of the Panthers again.

It's an incredibly stupid decision to choose Hurney over someone like Lake Dawson, but then most of Jerry Richardson's decisions fall under the "incredibly stupid" category.

I'll be happy when we don't have to deal with his dumbass choices anymore.

It’s not a stupid decision, Hurney has worked with Ron and Coaching staff and knows exactly what this team needs to win a SB. 

6 minutes ago, Cyberjag said:

All it says is he will remain a candidate.  Calm down.

There has been no news of interviewing more candidates. If they were choosing someone besides Hurney, they could have already done so. These things typically move pretty fast because teams need people in place and do not want other teams getting their guy. We are just twiddling our damn thumbs.

"The Charlotte Observer's Jourdan Rodrigue reports the investigation into harassment allegations against Panthers interim GM Marty Hurney "could wrap up soon."

Hurney was accused of harassment by his ex-wife, allegations his lawyer called "complete fiction." He was placed on paid leave by the team and put under investigation by the league. Rodrigue reports Hurney will be considered for the permanent GM job if he is cleared, but it seems likely that ship has sailed."

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You genuinely believe that Jerry Richardson would allow somebody other than Marty Hurney to be picked for the job?

I would be pretty surprised that the ownership group would allow him to make that happen without their endorsement given the upcoming changes to the majority owner position.  Best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to let him continue in the interim role until the new Owner buys the team, and then let that new owner make decisions.  If JR hires Hurney, then it's just going to end up costing the team a lot of money to buy out his contract once the team is sold.

Archived