• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Converted OT Matt Kalil's $10M Option Bonus Into A Signing Bonus Guaranteeing He'll Be On Roster In 2018

bobsfoodbasics

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Been looking for more info to try and figure out why this would make sense. So far nobody has given any indication that this will help us cap wise. It's basically just a conversion of one type of bonus to another type of bonus.

The one difference that was mentioned by Yates is that while the option bonus was apparently not guaranteed, the signing bonus is, and is received up front rather than later.

Why do this? Still not sure, other than to benefit Kalil.

Norwell,? You usually pay 3/5 OL with top money and Kalil might not be in the plan after this season?

Just now, Ace_Aladdin said:

Norwell,? You usually pay 3/5 OL with top money and Kalil might not be in the plan after this season?

Yates says it offers us no cap savings, only guarantees Kalil will be on roster this season.

Spotrac indicates that it ups his dead cap for 2019 so it effectively guarantees he stays through next season as well.

There's no indication anywhere that this helps with Norwell at all.

People had been talking about Kalil's contract having an "out" after the first two years. Sounds like that's "out".

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I doubt that's the case. It's always been my understanding that signing bonuses are spread equally across all years of the contract. If that's the case them this is basically a classic Hurney restructure that gives us some flexibility in the present but pushes guaranteed money down the road greatly decreasing our future flexibility. We'll have to wait and see for someone who really understands the cap to chime in, but I think Hurney just kicked the can down the road again.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yates says it offers us no cap savings, only guarantees Kalil will be on roster this season.

Spotrac indicates that it ups his dead cap for 2019 so it effectively guarantees he stays through next season as well.

There's no indication anywhere that this helps with Norwell at all.

People had been talking about Kalil's contract having an "out" after the first two years. Sounds like that's "out".

The point is if they are freeing up from Matt Kalil after 19  then it really leaves us with Trai as top paid OL. 

Now Williams is gonna be up for contract in 2019 as well, but this still leaves another position for OL to get paid.

I think the organization believes the future of the OL is Trai-Norwell-Williams.

Does Moton move over 2 play LT or does he take over for the other Kalil if Larsen isn't the guy?

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I doubt that's the case. It's always been my understanding that signing bonuses are spread equally across all years of the contract. If that's the case them this is basically a classic Hurney restructure that gives us some flexibility in the present but pushes guaranteed money down the road greatly decreasing our future flexibility. We'll have to wait and see for someone who really understands the cap to chime in, but I think Hurney just kicked the can down the road again.

We have Peppers, Davis & Kalil retiring after this season which opens up CAP room not paying Core veteran players down the road.

Which opens the room for new players to takeover the core player role

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Gettleman wrote this contract expecting this to occur and be converted. Some of Kalil's 2019 salary is guaranteed as well. This way we pay in increments if he stays in our plans but after 2019 the only guaranteed are the option bonuses which could be converted to signing bonuses and prorated if we need the money. This is not Hurndog being reckless. 

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Gettleman wrote this contract expecting this to occur and be converted. Some of Kalil's 2019 salary is guaranteed as well. This way we pay in increments if he stays in our plans but after 2019 the only guaranteed are the option bonuses which could be converted to signing bonuses and prorated if we need the money. This is not Hurndog being reckless. 

Do you have anything to base this on other than your opinion?

45 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If I understand it correctly, converting this to a signing bonus will spread the cap hit across the years of his contract creating some more space this year but less flexibility down the road because it pushes guaranteed money into future years creating more dead money in future years.

FYI, this is the exact type of poo that Hurney did last time that tanked our cap. Doesn't look like he learned much in his time away.

Yep. I can't remember who it was, but we were paying somebody 7 million to play for somebody else.

All indications so far are that this benefits Matt Kalil but not the Panthers.

Why do that?

Well, we know that a certain owner recently helped guarantee that Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney were going to get paid no matter what happened with the team's ownership.

Could he now be looking to ensure that some of his favorite players also get a little extra cash?

Oy...

I'm hoping this is an isolated incident or that some sort of rationale will be uncovered soon. Because if not, it occurs to me that Jerry Richardson could definitely do some damage to our cap if he decided to give out a few "parting gifts".

And obviously, it would help to have a GM in place who would have no trouble agreeing to such actions.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

All indications so far are that this benefits Matt Kalil but not the Panthers.

Why do that?

Well, we know that a certain owner recently helped guarantee that Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney were going to get paid no matter what happened with the team's ownership.

Could he now be looking to ensure that some of his favorite players also get a little extra cash?

Oy...

I'm hoping this is an isolated incident or that some sort of rationale will be uncovered soon. Because if not, it occurs to me that Jerry Richardson could definitely do some damage to our cap if he decided to give out a few "parting gifts".

And obviously, it would help to have a GM in place who would have no trouble agreeing to such actions.

Then why would he help Matt Kalil who has been a Panthers for 1 fuging year.

If anything it would have been given to "Davis & Olsen"  who have been accused of pushing the owner to get them new contracts.

Your theory has some holes. 

My sources says this move helps Panthers retain Norwell & move away from a lesser player known as Matt Kalil

Archived