• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport: Panthers working out long-term deal with K Graham Gano. Franchise Tag if not done by 4pm tomorrow

Saca312

21 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I agree. They really screwed up. Though I'm not sure 5 million for one year isn't better than 4 million for multiple years at this point.

Precisely why we haven't agreed to a multi-year deal yet. Graham knows he can get more than $5 million per year on the open market but Hurney has an ace up his sleeve, the tag. 

8 hours ago, stbugs said:

We can't cut him, he's a FA. We either tag him, extend him or let another team sign him. I am on board with the last option as we'd be able to buffer (with Star) for signing FAs and potentially still get a comp pick for Norwell.

Cody Parkey is an available FA.  Last year he kicked for the Dolphins for 4th year vet minimum.  Last year he was 91% on FGs and 1 of 2 on kicks 50+.  (He's 86% for his career on FG and 6 of 7 from 50+, whereas Gano is 82% career and 17 of 31.) 

Now here's the thing... Parkey is nowhere near as effective on kick-off distance as Gano.  But the kickoff, if NFL fans have been paying attention, is fast going the way of the dodo anyway.

1. Sign Parkey (or someone like him) for vet minimum

2. Draft a kicker and pay him rookie minimum

3. Have an August competition

4. Select one of the two

5. Don't pay Gano $5M or sign him to a long-term contract

6. ???

7. Profit

4 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Precisely why we haven't agreed to a multi-year deal yet. Graham knows he can get more than $5 million per year on the open market but Hurney has an ace up his sleeve, the tag. 

Let him get the bigger deal, don't we get a Comp pick in the future? 

Draft a rookie and use the money on something more meaningful.

Huddlers it's a simple plan, you pay players that gets (Norwell) you 6pts over > (Gano)3pts, first.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Yes. I’ve been saying it all along that if Gano gets signed we can buffer Gano and Star leaving with a legit signing and still basically get Norwell’s comp which should be a third. Possible that a big signing knocks out Norwell’s third but then we get a 4th/5th or 4th/6th.

If we sign him, there’s zero reason to do anything but a tag. If we have no reason to tag another player why not tag Gano and not have a long term commitment. If he goes back to 2016, you lose nothing. If he stays at 2017 then he’s worth resigning at the tag level. 

The only drawback to that I think is that "tag" money, if the player agrees to the tag and signs the contract, is 100% guaranteed. 

Which means if Gano reverts back to his frustrating, normal career form this year, cutting him is not an option.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Well, once the season starts his contract as a vet is guaranteed. All I am saying is that I see no downside to just tag him if we are going to want him in 2018. It’s not like K deals are going up in 2019. This seems like the K offseason. Unless we do a long term deal where the guarantees are equal to 2018 tag, then there’s no benefit. We need to have an out after 2018. The tag gives us that. A long term deal may. I know it was a risk but I wish we just went Butker knowing the potential cap savings over 4-5 years. 

The downside?

Losing valuable cap space, and putting you right back in this F'd up spot next season.

25 minutes ago, stbugs said:

See my IF. I am saying that I think the tag is best if he’s our guy 2018, not a long term deal. You won’t find me saying I wanted Gano last year. I wanted to go with Butker knowing there were serviceable Ks on the street. I’m very aware of the money we would have saved last year and every year we pay Gano. It’s another reason to try and protect your comp picks. You need the infusion of more prospects to be able to make hard decisions. 

Ummmmmmm, there are still cheaper options out there on the street.

We don't need to sign Gano to a large contract when he was coming off his best career season.

Wonder if Ron and Marty know what "outlier" means?

We absolutely do not need to spend 5M on a kicker per year, or on a 1 year rental.  Let that inconsistent dude walk right out the door.

5 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

falcons gave matt bryant 3 years $10.5 million

34 of 39 missing zero extra points, and hitting 8 from 50+.

Let's see how the numbers compare to GG's once he is signed for far too much money.

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

Well, once the season starts his contract as a vet is guaranteed. All I am saying is that I see no downside to just tag him if we are going to want him in 2018. It’s not like K deals are going up in 2019. This seems like the K offseason. Unless we do a long term deal where the guarantees are equal to 2018 tag, then there’s no benefit. We need to have an out after 2018. The tag gives us that. A long term deal may. I know it was a risk but I wish we just went Butker knowing the potential cap savings over 4-5 years. 

Well, we seem to have gotten your worst scenario.

Long-term contract.

No early out (at $9M guaranteed he’ll be here through 2019).

But Ron and Marty are happy with their kicker that Ron doesn’t trust for 50+ yard kicks, I guess.

Archived