• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ross Cockrell’s QB Rating In Zone Coverage is...Incredible

Saca312

2 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

The only reason Worley was a 3rd round pick is because Gettleman knew he fuged up when he removed the tag from Norman and then panicked by trying to draft as many CBs as possible to make up for him. Pretty sure no other team was even remotely interested in Worley in the 3rd round.

Still does not negate the fact that Worley WAS a 3rd round pick. And that Gman probably thought he was the best CB left in the draft.  Whether it was a mistake, or that no other team may have valued him there. He was still a 3rd rounder.

I just find it funny that folks think that it is a given that the 3rd round CB we take this year, is automatically going to be better. I just don't see the logic.  After the 1st round or 2, there is no guarantee any CB will be better. Let alone thinking another 3rd is the answer. 

But that is what fans do. They bend logic to their will. It's what makes this place so much fun. 

10 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

We now have 2 solid starters at CB. CB may be on the radar, but it is just a tiny little blip way over there in the corner.

We probably need to upgrade Safety. That is the weak link in the secondary. We need to replace Stewy, which IMO, is also a more dire need than CB. We also need a TE#2. Then maybe we can go after a CB. 

IMO, this team is in good shape, and we are set up nicely for what this draft has to offer. 

Bradberry was solid as a rookie but awful last year and Cockrell didn't find much of a marlet for his services in free agency. I don't think we lost anything in Worley but I'd be lying if I said I felt confident with our current crop of CBs.

41 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If NFL teams considered him a solid starting CB he wouldn't have lasted a week and a half on the open market. That doesn't mean he can't be that, but it does mean that no one really thinks that's what he is.

I wondered the same thing. I've not read anything bad Cockrell in any publications done in the last three years. It sounds like he made the most of other's injuries. He had a breakout year in 2017 according to some giants publications and expected him back in replace DRC. (Gettleman seems to pay DBs last, maybe that's one answer to that) Some ratings systems have him rated above Breeland, others have him just below and Breeland has been a solid starter. I would say he's answered more questions than an unproven draft pick but I'm with ya, draft one to challenge him just in-case and keep some good depth.

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

But that is what fans do. They bend logic to their will. It's what makes this place so much fun. 

I think that's exactly what you're doing here. Hardly any team in the NFL would trade their CBs for ours. Every team in the NFL had a chance to sign Cockrell for a week and a half.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If NFL teams considered him a solid starting CB he wouldn't have lasted a week and a half on the open market. That doesn't mean he can't be that, but it does mean that no one really thinks that's what he is.

Same NFL teams also think you have to run to set up the pass and Jarvis Landry’s a WR1 so...

Reason Cockrell isn’t getting as much publicity is mainly reliant on being on a 2-14 team that didn’t set him up as CB1 until injuries piled up. Prior to him guarding NFL top receivers and keeping up with the best of them his last few weeks with the Giants, he predominantly was a CB2/3 for some odd reason.

Even then, all that matters is that he’s an upgrade and a sure starter.

Also Munnerlyn is good when used right. Wilks really did him dirty with his role. I get that “being an ass” is frowned upon concerning a player’s role, but Munnerlyn really had a crappy role in this defense. I don’t blame him for being cranky about it with everyone.

Hopefully Washington uses him like he should be used.

4 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

I saw a lot of Giants fans that were sad to see him not get re-upped by DG. They liked him more than Apple, and the stats back-up that he was putting it together later in the season. Had 3 picks in the final 3 weeks of the season and was matched up against some pretty talented WRs. 

I think our scheme will fit him better, and our front 7, along with Bradberry will allow him to be himself and thrive without the pressure of trying to prove himself like he had to in PIT and with the NYG. 

I don't foresee a pro-bowl selection or the next JNo here, but I think he can be every bit as good as Breeland would have been for us, and a sound guy that won't kill us on the outside. He's hungry and I think he sees this as an opportunity to come back to a place he is comfortable (CLT Latin & Duke) and be a solid corner for us.

It's still conceivable we sign Breeland if no other team picks him up. 

31 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Also Munnerlyn is good when used right. Wilks really did him dirty with his role. I get that “being an ass” is frowned upon concerning a player’s role, but Munnerlyn really had a crappy role in this defense. I don’t blame him for being cranky about it with everyone.

Hopefully Washington uses him like he should be used.

I hated Wilks system about as much as CAP did. We actually defended the pass better with Cap playing. I think we will see a short lived career in AZ for him. 

45 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think that's exactly what you're doing here. Hardly any team in the NFL would trade their CBs for ours. Every team in the NFL had a chance to sign Cockrell for a week and a half.

And I truly believe you are letting your fear of the past sway your judgement. You are on the half empty team. I am on the half full team. Bradberry HAS shown he can play. Cockrell HAS shown he can play. Until I am proven otherwise, I am going with the "We have 2 solid CBs right now" camp.

I would like to add some talent to the position. I just don't see it happening this year. Unless we get lucky. And I hate counting on luck. But for this year. Yeah, I think we can go to battle with what we have.

Just now, iamhubby1 said:

And I truly believe you are letting your fear of the past sway your judgement. You are on the half empty team. I am on the half full team. Bradberry HAS shown he can play. Cockrell HAS shown he can play. Until I am proven otherwise, I am going with the "We have 2 solid CBs right now" camp.

Not at all. If everything works out perfectly, we absolutely could end up having two solid CBs next year. But the fact remains that Bradberry played poorly last year and there was little interest in Cockrell on the free agency market. I certainly hope that we aren't putting CB on the back burner because of our current roster. I definitely think that would be a mistake.

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not at all. If everything works out perfectly, we absolutely could end up having two solid CBs next year. But the fact remains that Bradberry played poorly last year and there was little interest in Cockrell on the free agency market. I certainly hope that we aren't putting CB on the back burner because of our current roster. I definitely think that would be a mistake.

IMO, we need to get one of the top S in the 1st. I believe that is where we need the influx of talent the most. Get our S of the future in a year where there are a couple that should be there. 

With Cap probably gone next year, and not knowing whether we have plans for him anyway. RB, and TE are also top priorities. By the time we get around to drafting a CB it will be late 3rd or later. Not sure how much faith you can have in another 3rd round CB. Even if this class is deep in CB.

We may add another CB. But again, IMO, the guy will probably be for depth, and not necessarily for competition.

The wife is sitting here half naked, and I am having a tough time concentrating. So I hope I made the point I was trying to make. Otherwise, I'll try again next time.

tl/dr version. I forgot.

Archived