• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analytics- way of the future

Reebis21

19 minutes ago, billionairemonk said:

it works in baseball because baseball is an individual sport disguised as a team sport.  there are too many variables in team sports to make analytics as valuable as it is in baseball.

U ever play baseball? This post couldn’t be more wrong 

11 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

U ever play baseball? This post couldn’t be more wrong 

I did for most of my life, and it is correct.  just because there are other guys on the field at the same time as you doesn't qualify baseball as a team sport. 

read the last post on this link:  http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/archive/index.php/t-237635.html

35 minutes ago, t96 said:

Analytics are very important, there's a reason Belichick has been using them for decades now. But like he does, you can't let analytics replace coaching, personal analysis and eye tests, they are just one tool to aid in building a successful team.

eye tests are part of analytics 

49 minutes ago, wud35 said:

I totally agree with you just wish you hadn't used Belichick as an example. lol he also uses other techniques I don't agree with.  

Yeah, I watched a debate segment Monday where they routinely referenced Mangini calling and begging Bill not to tape him like he knew he did to others before blowing the whistle on the whole deal.  Think about it, if that hadn't happened we never would have known.

23 minutes ago, billionairemonk said:

I did for most of my life, and it is correct.  just because there are other guys on the field at the same time as you doesn't qualify baseball as a team sport. 

read the last post on this link:  http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/archive/index.php/t-237635.html

U sure u weren’t playing cricket? There is always an individual aspect to every team game. If u don’t think baseball is a team sport I’m not going to waste ANY time arguing with you and will probably block you so that I don’t have to be dumbed down to anything you say. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Analytics are very important, there's a reason Belichick has been using them for decades now. But like he does, you can't let analytics replace coaching, personal analysis and eye tests, they are just one tool to aid in building a successful team.

Seattle, Cleveland, ATL, and the Rams all use analytics in team building and game planning. 

Given Tepper's background in hedge funds, it makes perfect sense that he would be familiar with and be a proponent of the use of analytics. Undoubtably, he has used and continues to use analytics in his " other job". His success speaks to the value of analytical tools.

For years now many mathematics majors head into the world of finance. The smart teams have been using customizing and using these tools for years.

Archived