• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Strange people in North Carolina

PantherOnTheProwl1523

We had a guy who would come in and pay the rent with his grandmother's SS check and we would give him the change. She died and he didn't report it for 3 months. Secret Service got involved and arrested him. Probably the same deal in this woman's case.

5 minutes ago, Jaycat said:

We had a guy who would come in and pay the rent with his grandmother's SS check and we would give him the change. She died and he didn't report it for 3 months. Secret Service got involved and arrested him. Probably the same deal in this woman's case.

How did this go this far with the decomposing flesh leaving a stench behind and nobody knew this was happening for this long.

10 minutes ago, rbsponsel52 said:

How did this go this far with the decomposing flesh leaving a stench behind and nobody knew this was happening for this long.

Well, it was a house rather than apartment, so I guess the smell was contained by the house.

Somebody found out though, can't remember how. Been 20 years.

This is the 3rd dead person I've had to deal with in less than a year. And in all 3, the body has been there for a while... in 90+ degree heat, with no A/C, in a closed room.

Had one not long ago where the homeless guy was living in an abandoned storefront and the hair salon next door started complaining of a smell coming from their HVAC registers. The HVAC unit was just a few feet from the body, separated by a wall, so it was drawing the odor.

Previous one was a recluse. Was dead in his house for a couple weeks and he had accumulated so much stuff piled everywhere inside it took the guys almost an hour to dig a path to get the gurney in and out.

The lady in the news article isn't all there. We think she simply had no clue what to do when her Mom died. It was as though when her Mom died, she just went totally blank and lost.

23 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

This is the 3rd dead person I've had to deal with in less than a year. And in all 3, the body has been there for a while... in 90+ degree heat, with no A/C, in a closed room.

Had one not long ago where the homeless guy was living in an abandoned storefront and the hair salon next door started complaining of a smell coming from their HVAC registers. The HVAC unit was just a few feet from the body, separated by a wall, so it was drawing the odor.

Previous one was a recluse. Was dead in his house for a couple weeks and he had accumulated so much stuff piled everywhere inside it took the guys almost an hour to dig a path to get the gurney in and out.

The lady in the news article isn't all there. We think she simply had no clue what to do when her Mom died. It was as though when her Mom died, she just went totally blank and lost.

So you're a coroner or something?    Interesting job.

On 9/28/2018 at 4:04 PM, Zaximus said:

So you're a coroner or something?    Interesting job.

Or something.

Code enforcement supervisor. PD will call us when they make a forced entry so we can inspect, issue whatever notices and board the place up when they're done. Unless it needs to be cleaned up by Serv-Pro or A-1 Disaster, then we have to access the place for them to get in.

In some respects we have more right of entry than the PD, but we have to be very careful in how we obtain warrants if needed. There have been a couple times when I've told PD we won't access a property for them because it appeared they were trying to circumvent their warrant system.

Had an old neighbor here in Wilmington do this with their dead relative.

Left granny on the bed, with a bunch of blankets over her...for months, all the while cashing those SS checks.

I can't remember how the jig was up, but I think the kids smelled awful at school, and couldn't explain it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived