• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teams who represent a model of consistency

panther4life

Every panther fan wishes for a team that can win consistently. If the approach is to start fresh with a new Coach and or GM here are the teams we can look to.

From 2011 to now. I’ll also include number of concescutive 9 win seasons in parenthesis

1. Patriots 97-28 (17, will be 18)

2A. Seahawks 80-44-1( 6, closing in on 7th)

2B. Steelers 80-44-1 (4, chance at 5 if they finish 2-1 or better)

4. Packers 78-45-2 (3 from 2014-2016)

5. Broncos 78-47 (5, 2012-2016) 

6. Saints 74-51 (this year marks their first back to back winning seasons since they did it in 09-11)

7. Chiefs 73-52  (5 in a row, this year makes 6)

8. Bengals 70-53-2 (5, 2011-15,losing seasons ever since)

9. Panthers 70-54-1 (0)

10. Cowboys 70-55 (2, this year could make it 3 with 1 more win)

11. Ravens 69- 56 (2, 2011-2012, have shot at 2 in a row again this year if they finish 2-1)

12. Falcons 66-59 (2, 2016-2017)

To take it a step further here is the longest active playoff appearance streaks.

1. Patriots 9, pacing 10

2. Steelers 4, pacing 5

3. Chiefs 4, will be 5 (already clinched this year)

4. Saints 1,Will be 2(already clinched this year)

5. Rams 1,  will be 2 (already clinched this year)

Of the teams that made 1 or both of these list they’ve done so with the same head coach. Patriots,Steelers and Saints have done so with the same coach and GM  and QB(if you consider belichick the GM as well)

McVay is about to make his 2nd playoff appearance in his 2nd season as a head coach. Les Snead is in his 7th year as GM but had 6 losing seasons prior to this year.

The Seahawks don’t have a current streak of playoff appearances due to missing out last year. However they did make it the prior 5 seasons in a row 12-16 and are currently the 5th seed in the NFC right  now. They also have 1 super bowl win under their belt in this time frame.

That further cements the top 3 teams on this list who again have done it with the same coach, GM and QB. Of those 3 teams only Tomlin was not a retread coach.

Other teams have tried to poach the patriots without much luck so I’m not sure we go looking there.

3 other teams who did not make the above list who seem poised for a playoff berth are:

Bears who have a rookie head coach in Matt Nagy. Ryan Pace is in his 4th year as GM but had losing seasons every year prior to this one.

Texans who have Bill O’Brien in his 5th season and verge of 3rd playoff appearance and rookie GM Brian Gaine

Chargers who have Anthony Lynn in his 2nd year as a head coach and Tom Telesco as their GM in his 5th year and on track for his 2nd playoff appearance.

In summary it seems to me the top 3 teams to me to try and find Ron and Hurneys successor’s From would be the Patriots, Steelers and Seahawks. Worth nothing the Steelers have not been in the super bowl since they won super bowl 43 (10 years ago).

Seahawks last made super bowl was 49 and the patriots have been in 3 of the last 4.

1 other thing worth noting is that 2 of the hottest teams in the league right now are on their 2nd coach with same GM (Rams and Bears). So there is that sliver of hope that with the right Head coach Hurney could potentially make it work. Rivera has proven over the years he’s not the guy. Hurney has improved in his 2nd stint but any progress he’s made has been stifled by Rivera. I’m all for cleaning house but I mainly want Rivera gone more than anything!!

Not to step on Mrscot’s toes but:

The hottest GM candidates from from the top 3 teams are:

Trent Kirchner from the Seahawks (3 known interviews for a GM spot since 2017)

Scott Fitterer from the Seahawks ( 3 known interview for a GM spot in 2017)

Nick Caserio from the Patriots (Patriots blocked Texans in 18 and he declined the Niners in 17)

Brandon Hunt From Steelers( interviewed for Eagles director job)* Also a Rooney rule candidate

Omar Khan ( Last known GM interview was in 2014)

NFL head coach candidates from those 3 teams seem scarce other than Josh McDaniels who didn’t fair so well in his first Head Coaching job.

Just because a team has success, doesn’t in any way mean that a coach from there will have the same success. Look at where those HCs originally came from. 

Pete Carol came from college football. Belichick came from the Browns and Jets.

The individual matters. Not the org they came from. Pete and Belachick’s genius is being able to take dog poo talent and turn it into effective and highly motivated teams.

They also have very talented QBs.

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

Just because a team has success, doesn’t in any way mean that a coach from there will have the same success. Look at where those HCs originally came from. 

Pete Carol came from college football. Belichick came from the Browns and Jets.

The individual matters. Not the org they came from. Pete and Belachick’s genius is being able to take dog poo talent and turn it into effective and highly motivated teams.

They also have very talented QBs.

You’re right. Good coach or GM can come from anywhere but still I’d start my search there vs a team like the Browns. 

18 minutes ago, panther4life said:

You’re right. Good coach or GM can come from anywhere but still I’d start my search there vs a team like the Browns. 

Remember, both Belichick and Nick Saban coached for the Browns (they worked together). 

Bill was fired and Nick quit (I think). 

In some ways, it’s more logical to look for coaches in bad orgs as those guys are often overlooked.

Obviously this is all theory. If it was easy to find a dominate coach, everyone would have one.

30 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Remember, both Belichick and Nick Saban coached for the Browns (they worked together). 

Bill was fired and Nick quit (I think). 

In some ways, it’s more logical to look for coaches in bad orgs as those guys are often overlooked.

Obviously this is all theory. If it was easy to find a dominate coach, everyone would have one.

Yes they both coaches there in the early 90’s. That team was light years better than the Browns of late. 90-95 for Bill was not an assistant and 91-94 for Saban who was terrible as an NFL coach. 

Again I just suggested those are the best places to start not the only places to look. 

54 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

Interesting indeed, great post.

Only thing I saw offhand that isn't right is the number of Falcons 9+ win seasons. They had 2 more than listed in 2011 (10-6) and 2012 (13-3). But still a really good post and a lot of research and detail.

Thanks!

I only included consecutive 9+ win seasons as that’s what we’re aiming for.

2 hours ago, Billy_T said:

Do any of the really good teams....

....have really lousy owners?

Agreed, way more important over time than coaches or GMs or even QBs. Pats, Steelers, Seahawks and Green Bay all have stable ownership. Or had in the case of the Seahawks. RIP Mr. Allen.  

3 minutes ago, Billy_T said:

Yup, and Panthers had a really lousy one until this year.  Things will improve, and dramatically....patience.

#Bobcats/Hornets, no hope there.

I'm curious if this is a factor in relegation leagues over time? I'm sure the NFL would never go that way since their precious Jets, aiders, etc. would immediately relegate to the minors and be replaced by Knoxville or Topeka. Heh.

Archived