• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The rebuild

jlindz

(yep I posted this on the Observer's website)

Opinions:

Honestly, in rebuilding mode we need to take a hard long look at what our assets are and what we can stand to part with Assets- Beason, Davis, Smith, Peppers (now that he decided to play), Otah, Gross, Williams, Stewart. We have no first round pick. I would trade Williams for a first and second and Smith for a second (hard choice). Williams is the only player on the team that would merit a high first round choice if traded. If we are to draft a QB, I wouldn't expect him to be able to confidently make the switch from college to the pro game for at least 2-3 years). Smith would be 2-3 years older. I would draft at QB with first round pick (or parlay the extra second to move up and draft a QB). I would draft a CB with our second round pick and I would draft a WR with the remaining second round pick. I would not resign Peppers (NO ONE IS WORTH $20mil a year- except Peyton). I would spend for upgrades a DT and DE (unless Brown and Johnson are adequate). I would hope that Jake retires which should remove the remaining guaranteed money from his contract from out salary cap.

If Fox is fired this weekend (please) I would contact Cowher and throw money at him. If Richardson waits until the season is over I would contact Rivera and hope he gets no better offers.

Hurney should be fired immediately. The past few drafts have been abysmal (obviously easier to grade in hindsight). He missed on Sherrod Martin (needed a DT- Marks, or even Smith- CB), Godfrey (why draft a CB to turn into a safety when there were better safety prospects available?- Zibikowski/Decloud), the Jarret project (imagine having Steve Smith x2 as WR, L Woodly available).

Am I picking and choosing, yes I am. As did Hurney and the "War room". Poorly.

Time to clean house.....

We don't have the draft picks to draft a decent a QB. Hurney threw that opportunity away.

Next year, just get a game manager, be it Campbell, or Alex Smith, or Brady Quinn.

I heard Gil Brandt and other talent scounts speak of Quinn on Sirus and they spoke of him as a game manager, in my words, by no means a Peyton Manning, but in no way a Jake Delhomme either. He needs decent people around him, and he has that in Charlotte. Big Boy, Big Arm.

Perhaps that #1 QB comes in 2011 because without giving up Smith or Williams, one is not coming our way in 2010, thanks Marty.

We don't have the draft picks to draft a decent a QB. Hurney threw that opportunity away.

Next year, just get a game manager, be it Campbell, or Alex Smith, or Brady Quinn.

I heard Gil Brandt and other talent scounts speak of Quinn on Sirus and they spoke of him as a game manager, in my words, by no means a Peyton Manning, but in no way a Jake Delhomme either. He needs decent people around him, and he has that in Charlotte. Big Boy, Big Arm.

Perhaps that #1 QB comes in 2011 because without giving up Smith or Williams, one is not coming our way in 2010, thanks Marty.

Don't be so sure man.

The QB talent next year should be pretty deep in the draft, and there are not that many teams that need a first round QB.

Panthers, Browns, Jacksonville, Oakland, and Washington.

Other than that, maybe Seattle to groom behind Hasselbeck.

Saint Louis maybe as well.

dont agree with D. Williams. He has some years left and is one of the premier players on this team. Maybe trade Stewart for a 1st rounder. Agree with Smith. Maybe we should trade him while we can still get something for him. Peppers should have already been traded for a 1st rounder or two 2nd rounders. For that matter, NE wanted Pepp and they practically gave Cassell away. Pepp for Cassell and a 2nd rounder would have been great.

I agree totally that this team doesn't need a total overhaul.

Great pieces in place already. Run game is more than solid and we have one of the better WR in the league. The O-line is good. Just need a QB that can make a few throws and manage the game. Nothing more. We can lean on the run game but not if we constantly turn it over and get down early.

Archived