• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kemba Walker On His Future

6 minutes ago, archer4364 said:

Ah forgot about that, thought it was closer to 180. 200 then maybe? 205? I don't entirely trust what the team has said publicly, shelling out that much money is a big commitment. 

A big committment toward being mediocre. Pick 12 for years to come. We need a new direction and Kemba needs to play for a winner. He is in his prime right now. 

1 hour ago, archer4364 said:

Ah forgot about that, thought it was closer to 180. 200 then maybe? 205? I don't entirely trust what the team has said publicly, shelling out that much money is a big commitment. 

I agree, I like Kemba as a player but things being what they are.. I wouldn't sign him. I'd have traded him for Draft picks last year myself. 

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to see how low he's willing to go if he re-signs.  Love Kemba, but he's also propped up by this fanbase A LOT. He was a borderline 3rd team All-NBA guy.  On a decent team, he may not even sniff that and the max is out of the question anyway. 

Also unpopular, but even at a discount it might be better off for all parties involved for Kemba to take the max with NYK or whoever else.  Kemba at 25-30 million per year at age 33-34 is still somewhat okay (maybe)...but only if this team has been stripped and actual talent has been put around him. Not exactly an easy task the next couple of years.  Is he fine being an underpaid star on a rebuilding team the next couple of years?  I would think not.  And if he does re-sign, how much continues to be mortgaged to put a "contender" (for the 4th best East team) around him?  If Kemba is the best player on your team...you're not contending for poo.  In the East next year, Milwaukee, Toronto, Boston, Philly, Indiana, Brooklyn, and even a team like the Hawks could all potentially be better, even if Kemba re-signs. 

Where this could get interesting though, is if he does re-sign at a discount...because he could be one helluva trade piece in a year or two if he doesn't like the direction of the team. Receiving team gets a let's say 31 year old Kemba at 25-30 per year, Hornets get a young potential player or two plus a nice pick? Works best for all parties IMO. 

4 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Where this could get interesting though, is if he does re-sign at a discount...because he could be one helluva trade piece in a year or two if he doesn't like the direction of the team. Receiving team gets a let's say 31 year old Kemba at 25-30 per year, Hornets get a young potential player or two plus a nice pick? Works best for all parties IMO. 

Kemba will sign for less than the supermax, but other than that, we're not getting a discount. Someone's gonna offer him 4 yrs/$140 million. That's the floor for Kemba. 

Archived