• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drafttek Mock Draft (April 17th)

kungfoodude

20 minutes ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

Ferrell did not run the 40 at the combine or his pro day. To me, that screams red flag. It probably means that he was going to run in the 4.7 or 4.8 range. Personally, I would pass. However, I get the feeling that he will be there at 16 in part because he did not run the 40. I just hope someone more enticing is there.

Don’t say this around here or people will attack you like me. Ferrell seems like the dream pick for most of the huddle. Carolina guy on a championship team, he has stats I mean how could we not pick him!

14 minutes ago, JARROD said:

So 40 times have what to do with DE being successful in the NFL? 

Ask every Gm in the league that had Sweat around 16-20 but after 4.41 top 6. It’s more a indicator of athletic ability or explosion. Allows more flexibility, chase down ball carriers and scrambling QBs, its what allowed peppers to curl out into the flats to play zone converage. Let’s not act like this has no application for ability at the position.

5 minutes ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

I read that. Obviously, I am skeptical to say the least. I suspect that teams would be likewise skeptical.

Everyone brings up the toe injury... but did it happen before or after this? My guess is that man is hiding a big fat 4.8-5.0 40 time and teams are skeptical as well. But I swear 40 comes before field activities. It looks like he just chose not to do the 40. Red flag for me.

33 minutes ago, JARROD said:

So 40 times have what to do with DE being successful in the NFL? 

Speed does not equate to automatic success....obviously. However, a lack of speed (relatively speaking) is a definite restricting factor. At a minimum it acts to reduce the upside of a prospect. Time remains undefeated and players only get slower with age. Speed is not the "end all, be all", but do not kid yourself - it matters.

Let's not get too off track with the Ferrell discussion. We all know he is a lower ceiling/high floor prospect that is probably not an elite athlete. He also has some other elite attributes that some of the other combine freaks do not(great hand work, excellent run support, better array of pass rushing moves). He's a safe pick at 16 and I don't think any of us should be upset about getting him just because he isn't likely to be the next Julius Peppers/JJ Watt/etc. 

That horse has been beaten to death over the course of multiple threads and we all know there are going to be disagreements on his specific evaluation.

2 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Why was he doing linebacker drills then?

Because he's a football player and was trying to tough it out.. Not caring what you think nor do have any time to debate with you and your books on conspiracy theories of the football world.....ohhhhhhhhhh .. So keep doging one of the best pass rusher in this draft with drills( you cherry pick) importantance for.. Some how you don't care Bosa runs a fat 4.8 forty thoe... It doesn't matter whether we get him or not the kid is easily a 10 year starter and probably high level player in this league.. And you will forget you ever made this big of a stink about him .

Truth— would rather draft Taylor, Oliver, Sweat, Christian Wilkins, Jonah, Burns Ford in that order(not counting the land of the ridiculous where Josh Allen magically drops to us, although these days Oliver and Taylor dropping to us is ridiculous too) before thinking of Ferrell at 16—-

i like Ferrell, more than others—— but there are others that have more upside. I just don’t put as much on the 40 time of a defensive lineman as others— I think want to and technique go a long way.

14 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

Just curious, when people say upside, does that just mean they tested well? It seems people only say athletic freaks/ combine warriors have upside, which is proven false. You don’t have to dominate the combine to have upside. CFs tape shows upside 

Upside comes with guys that have all the athletic ability in the world that people feel could get better with further coaching and development. If your just a technician and your day 1 ready what are you gonna improve on? Most of the time you either have the god given ability and improve on stuff like technique. That’s what coaching is for. What’s with the com one warriors label as well, most of these guys have been playing football all their lives but because they test well they are combine warriors?  

The truest rule to football I have ever heard is the only thing you can’t teach is god given ability. Give me the guy with god given ability and a coach to bring the rest out of him.

Archived