• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers had Grier ahead of Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones

ncfan

I’m excited about Grier. He’s my second-favorite QB behind the guy he’s behind. Not unlike when Jeremy Lin backed up Kemba. 

But it’s OK, a certain someone will still say I’m a Cam hater despite having defended him his whole Auburn and Panthers career. Not enough for some psychos.  

The reality is that there comes a point in every player's career where what's good for them and what's good for the team  no longer coincide.

Whether or not that time has now come for Cam Newton, I don't know. I do know that it's going to at some point, and it may come sooner than it should have because of mishandling by Ron Rivera and others.

That sucks, but unfortunately it can't be changed.

The most likely path to Panthers victory right now is Cam Newton getting back to full strength. I hope that happens, but the possibility does exist that it won't.

The potential also exists that the Panthers may find a path to victory that doesn't include Cam Newton. That's highly unlikely right now, but it's technically not impossible. 

If it comes to that, I will feel bad for Newton, especially given that things could have gone much better for him under a more competent head coach.

But I am first and foremost a Panthers fan, and that's not going to change.

I've seen a lot of Panthers players have their Carolina careers come to something other than a happy ending. Thomas Davis is the most recent example. I hate that he never won a ring here, but I agree with the decision to move on from him.

That's football. Happy endings are not the norm in this game.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The reality is that there comes a point in every player's career where what's good for them and what's good for the team  no longer coincide.

Whether or not that time has now come for Cam Newton, I don't know. I do know that it's going to at some point, and it may come sooner than it should have because of mishandling by Ron Rivera and others.

That sucks, but unfortunately it can't be changed.

The most likely path to Panthers victory right now is Cam Newton getting back to full strength. I hope that happens, but the possibility does exist that it won't.

The potential also exists that the Panthers may find a path to victory that doesn't include Cam Newton. That's highly unlikely right now, but it's technically not impossible. 

If it comes to that, I will feel bad for Newton, especially given that things could have gone much better for him under a more competent head coach.

But I am first and foremost a Panthers fan, and that's not going to change.

I've seen a lot of Panthers players have their Carolina careers come to something other than a happy ending. Thomas Davis is the most recent example. I hate that he never won a ring here, but I agree with the decision to move on from him.

That's football.

If this does end up being the end of Cam Newton, that will be a sad realization. That we squandered the only franchise QB we have ever had and the best offensive weapon the franchise has ever seen.  

That said, putting Grier or Allen in next season(in that unfortunate event) would easily put us in range to draft one of these stud QB's in 2020. We would obviously be a horrific dumpster fire sans Cam next season.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If this does end up being the end of Cam Newton, that will be a sad realization. That we squandered the only franchise QB we have ever had and the best offensive weapon the franchise has ever seen.  

That said, putting Grier or Allen in next season(in that unfortunate event) would easily put us in range to draft one of these stud QB's in 2020. We would obviously be a horrific dumpster fire sans Cam next season.

That's not an absolute certainty. I would accept it's an "in all likelihood" level scenario, though.

Ron Rivera followed the same path as his mentor Buddy Ryan when it came to Newton. Ryan depended on Randall Cunningham to basically be the offense. He explicitly stated that as long as Cunningham could make two or three big plays a game, his defense would handle the rest.

It didn't work, and Rivera should have known that it didn't work, but here he's been following and implementing the same formula.

8 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

No schedule that I've heard of.   But according to some  "Panthers " fans , we shouldn't have any plans except for Cam plans.

4 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

For the red to poo on again.

1 minute ago, Paa Langfart said:

Cry baby cry

giphy-97.gif

What I love, is how unaccepting that professionals have players rated differently than fans, and even sports writers. 

I would expect the teams.board to be different from anything we can think of. They are the ones whom doing the homework. Not just scouting, but getting to know these guys, to find out if they assimilate, and whether or not they will be good fits in the locker room. So much goes into evaluating these players, and it amazes me that any fan thinks they can get anywhere close to what their team decides. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

For what it’s worth, I think Cam will have a bounce-back year with big numbers. 

I have no idea.

It's been commented on that the Panthers and their doctors not knowing what's wrong with Newton is kind of scary, and it is. If you've ever been to a doctor and had them tell you that they know something is wrong but they can't really tell you what, you know how that feels.

The cleanup surgery they did in the offseason was basically a "hey let's see if this works" thing. Hopefully it will, but again we don't know.

We can all hope, but I'm not even gonna try to make a prediction at this point.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't agree with Carl much but he's correct that you do come off in that post sounding like you hope he fails.

Then, you, also don't understand the point.

Considering the number of fugging times Cam has been condemned for "overthrows" over the last 8 years, I at least thought YOU might get it.  Especially when I made it quite clear in my statement that I have nothing against Will Grier.

Spackler being obtuse I kind of expected since the 1st overthrown pass Cam makes this year he'll be calling for a QB change.  You?  Surprising.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

If this does end up being the end of Cam Newton, that will be a sad realization.

I think it may be.  I think Ron Rivera has worn Cam out like an old dish rag and very possibly ruined him.

And that makes me very, very sad.

If it is, I will pull for Will Grier's success if he ends up being Cam's successor.

BUT I WILL ALSO GLADLY POINT OUT EVERY GODDAM OVERTHROWN PASS HE EVER FUGGING MAKES.  Why?  Because FUG the awful, awful people who turned their nose up at all the effort and physical sacrifices and criticized every goddam play that Cam Newton has every made for the Carolina Panthers, that's why.

Archived