• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chernobyl (HBO) Mini- Series

Datawire

Anyone catch the premier episode the other night? I am old enough to remember when this happened in the 80's when I was in high school and this first episode seems, so far, historically accurate. I like how this first episode started, it was a nice break from how every other 'documentary' I've seen usually ramps up.

There were some really chilling moments in the show that defy belief regarding the rank and file people involved while knowing this was an actual even that happened. I don't want to spoil anything yet in regards to the show. If you want to know about one of largest catastrophic disasters in world history you will find this show very interesting and terrifying. Really looking forward to episode two.

Watched it last night, really enjoyed it.  I would say it is pretty historically accurate thus far based upon what I've read about the incident.  Truly incredible to see the actions of purposely negligent leadership basically sending men to their deaths to preserve a sense of things being under control.  Can't imagine what is was like as a fireman or junior engineer encountering lethal radiation you can't perceive until it's too late.  Looking forward to the rest of the show.

42 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

@ARSEN Do you have any memories to share about this?

I was born about 300 miles South of Chernobyl before the disaster.  I know no one knew about it for few days/weeks after it happened.  The radiation cloud went south and likely killed close to 100k people over many years.  Belarus, Sweden and etc got a huge radiation exposure.  My family and I got very fortunate as the winds were blowing from South to North... if no winds or different direction, I likely won’t be here.  My grandpa died at age of 73 of excess radiation poisoning which could be very much related to Chernobyl. It was a huge embarrassment for USSR and they were ready to sacrifice everyone to hide the issue but once radiation cloud went over Sweden and other western states, they reported the huge radiation leak to USA and USSR had to intervene to save face. For the remaining years of my family living in USSR, we had gas masks and radiation covers... no joke.

6 minutes ago, ARSEN said:

I was born about 300 miles South of Chernobyl before the disaster.  I know no one knew about it for few days/weeks after it happened.  The radiation cloud went south and likely killed close to 100k people over many years.  Belarus, Sweden and etc got a huge radiation exposure.  My family and I got very fortunate as the winds were blowing from South to North... if no winds or different direction, I likely won’t be here.  My grandpa died at age of 73 of excess radiation poisoning which could be very much related to Chernobyl. It was a huge embarrassment for USSR and they were ready to sacrifice everyone to hide the issue but once radiation cloud went over Sweden and other western states, they reported the huge radiation leak to USA and USSR had to intervene to save face.  

Wow!  Sorry for the loss of your grandfather and so many of your fellow Ukrainians.  

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it gives more meaning to this serious disaster.

I was in West Germany at the time and this was definitely a big concern for all of us.

24 minutes ago, ARSEN said:

I was born about 300 miles South of Chernobyl before the disaster.  I know no one knew about it for few days/weeks after it happened.  The radiation cloud went south and likely killed close to 100k people over many years.  Belarus, Sweden and etc got a huge radiation exposure.  My family and I got very fortunate as the winds were blowing from South to North... if no winds or different direction, I likely won’t be here.  My grandpa died at age of 73 of excess radiation poisoning which could be very much related to Chernobyl. It was a huge embarrassment for USSR and they were ready to sacrifice everyone to hide the issue but once radiation cloud went over Sweden and other western states, they reported the huge radiation leak to USA and USSR had to intervene to save face. For the remaining years of my family living in USSR, we had gas masks and radiation covers... no joke.

Wow, sorry for your loss and the childish comments.  Horrible disaster.

58 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Wow!  Sorry for the loss of your grandfather and so many of your fellow Ukrainians.  

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it gives more meaning to this serious disaster.

I was in West Germany at the time and this was definitely a big concern for all of us.

All good!  Compared to most Ukrainians and Russians, he lived a very good, long life.  Both of my uncles died in their early 50s...  It was a huge thing back than...  I really want visit it one day since new sarcophagus is amazing at containing radiation.

I have yet to see the first episode, but I have it in my DVR at the ready when I get the time.  The things I've read and documentaries I've seen tell some amazingly compelling stories about unbelievable acts of heroism for many first responders that went back into danger knowing full well it was going to cost them.  Compared to Chernobyl full blown meltdown, 3MI wasn't even a burp.

Archived