• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper Wants a Retractable Dome Stadium

AppHeel

29 minutes ago, SBiii said:

Agree that Tepper wud be a fool to move the team to RH.

As for a "dual use facility" the MLS has unequivocally stated they do not want the soccer team to share the facility with an NFL team.

Why do ppl keep suggesting a new shared stadium is a hook for a new MLS, clearly it is not.

Atlanta is doing it well. All reports say Tepper has been pitching that and MLS hasn’t shut him down. What’s your source? Couldn’t find anything on google.

23 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

You aren’t driving the 25 miles from uptown to Rock hill in 15 min unless you’re doing 100 

60-70 ish mph. I do it daily, but whatever you wanna think.  Uptown about 10 from carowinds if traffic normal.  I'll leave it be though.  No more energy to go round and round.  I said Charlotte 15 minutes, uptown maybe 10 more on a bad day for me.

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

Atlanta is doing it well. All reports say Tepper has been pitching that and MLS hasn’t shut him down. What’s your source? Couldn’t find anything on google.

I don't think u have been paying attention.

"In the ten years between 2007 and 2017, ten more soccer-specific stadiums were built for MLS clubs. Currently, 14 teams play in venues that are soccer-specific (Portland’s Providence Park is included because though it was originally built for baseball, it was later renovated specifically for soccer usage, and Toronto’s BMO Field is not included because it was renovated in 2016 to add CFL football).

Soccer-specific is also the dominant model for expansion in the near term. In 2018, D.C. United is moving from multi-purpose RFK Stadium to Audi Stadium, and new franchise LAFC will begin play at soccer-specific Banc of California Stadium. Minnesota United FC will move to their new purpose-built stadium, Allianz Field, in 2019. Miami is also expected to build a soccer-specific stadium in the near future to accommodate an MLS franchise.

Even with Atlanta as a notable outlier, clearly the league still believes in the soccer-specific stadium model. Garber’s statement does, however, leave the door of opportunity slightly ajar for other multi-use stadiums in the future.

MLS is a league built on fan experience. Though attendance is strong and getting stronger, television viewership has not kept pace. The league’s fans seem to prefer seeing games in person rather than on a screen, which is a potential pitfall, but one that can be tackled in time.

Commissioner Garber is right to suggest soccer-specific stadium development is what has transformed the MLS. It has been perhaps the prime driver of MLS growth in the last 15 years.

It is also very likely that the story of the league’s growth from this point forward will depend on maintaining and expanding the model of fan experience afforded by soccer-specific stadiums. The future health of the league depends on it."

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2017/12/soccer-specific-stadiums-key-to-mls-past-and-future/

"The MLS has told bidders it wants a modern, dedicated soccer stadium in or near downtowns."

https://www.wfae.org/post/city-committee-declines-countys-offer-memorial-stadium-mls#stream/0

But that interest, even from a major sports owner like Tepper, isn't enough on its own. MLS requires bidding groups to have a plan for a soccer-specific stadium.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/sports/report-charlotte-very-much-in-play-for-mls-expansion-as-opposing-group-plans-19b-stadium/275-33b2cb2c-0a8e-409f-9a65-c88547252262

Watch and listen to the video in that last article linked.  The local press has chosen to ignore the issue (a soccer specific stadium that is).

11 hours ago, Tbe said:

SBiii is spouting nonsense and the news that was brought up is from 2 years ago and things could have changed within those 2 years. SBiii is nothing but a troll baiting everyone to respond to the useless posts that are made. SBiii has no clue or anything else on the matter either because he does not work for or around Tepper and or what the city wants to do on this.

17 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Just rendered my PSLs  unsellable

oh well 

I knew that going In

here is Hoping they have a super bowl in them before then 

You should have followed through with any one of your threats to sell over the years. 

11 hours ago, peteywheatstraw said:

60-70 ish mph. I do it daily, but whatever you wanna think.  Uptown about 10 from carowinds if traffic normal.  I'll leave it be though.  No more energy to go round and round.  I said Charlotte 15 minutes, uptown maybe 10 more on a bad day for me.

Carowinds isn't Rock Hill though, that's Fort Mill. You still have another 10 minutes at least with no traffic to get down to Rock Hill from Carowinds. 

Are you going 77 North or South in the mornings? 77-N is a parking lot, 77-S is manageable. I used to live in Ballentyne but worked in Fort Mill so I would skip all the traffic on my way to work taking 77 S, but going North, especially towards uptown is a nightmare. I would classify "Normal" traffic on 77 as congested by default.

For real though, how are you making it from Rock Hill to Uptown/vice versa in 15 minutes? That's at LEAST a half hour drive on a good day. 

59 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Carowinds isn't Rock Hill though, that's Fort Mill. You still have another 10 minutes at least with no traffic to get down to Rock Hill from Carowinds. 

Are you going 77 North or South in the mornings? 77-N is a parking lot, 77-S is manageable. I used to live in Ballentyne but worked in Fort Mill so I would skip all the traffic on my way to work taking 77 S, but going North, especially towards uptown is a nightmare. I would classify "Normal" traffic on 77 as congested by default.

For real though, how are you making it from Rock Hill to Uptown/vice versa in 15 minutes? That's at LEAST a half hour drive on a good day. 

Nowhere did i say i make it to uptown in 15 minutes. I said i make it to Carowinds/Charlotte via 77n.  Which is technically Fort Mill at the exit, but less than a minute from there you enter guess where? Charlotte,  NC.

Yes , of course there is more traffic heading into Charlotte during rush hour in the morning , and it even gets bad heading to Rock Hill berween 4:30pm til 6:30pm ish. 

So it's a huge inconvenience that everyone drive maybe 25 to 30 miles, when you were probably already doing that to begin with? North and west side slightly longer drives for sure. Getting attacked just for mentioning driving to Rock Hill isnt very far.  Lol. I'm not advocating for the stadium to be in Rock Hill either.  I believe it's where it should be.  I don't want to lose my psls, but they are becoming practically worthless as mentioned earlier.

3 minutes ago, peteywheatstraw said:

Nowhere did i say i make it to uptown in 15 minutes. I said i make it to Carowinds/Charlotte.  Which is technically Fort Mill, but less than a minute from there you enter guess where? Charlotte,  NC.

Yes , of course there is more traffic heading into Charlotte during rush hour in the morning , and it even gets bad heading to Rock Hill berween 4:30pm til 6:30pm ish. 

So it's a huge inconvenience that evetyone drive maybe 25 to 30 miles, when you were probably already doing that to begin with? North and west side slightly longer drives for sure. Getting attacked just for mentioning driving to Rock Hill isnt very far.  Lol. I'm not advocating for the stadium to be in Rock Hill either.  I believe it's where it should be.  I don't want to lose my psls, but they are becoming practically worthless as mentioned earlier.

ahhhhhhhh I gotchya now, I thought you were talking about getting from Uptown to Rock Hill and was RIDICULOUSLY perplexed. 

2 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

ahhhhhhhh I gotchya now, I thought you were talking about getting from Uptown to Rock Hill and was RIDICULOUSLY perplexed. 

No worries.  Just don't wanna be misquoted.  Plus like I've said I think Charlotte is the logical spot, and have heard Tepper say it as well.  I'm not trying to get in arguments over my commute. Lol 

8 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

It would turn a 35 minute drive into an hour for me...I'd be less likely to attend games..

That's definitely more understandable.  Depending what part of the area you're in could make a big difference.  I guess i was just thinking more of the actual time it takes from Rock Hill to Charlotte, and didn't factor as much the entire area surrounding Charlotte,  which is pretty wide reaching.

12 hours ago, rbsponsel52 said:

SBiii is spouting nonsense and the news that was brought up is from 2 years ago and things could have changed within those 2 years. SBiii is nothing but a troll baiting everyone to respond to the useless posts that are made. SBiii has no clue or anything else on the matter either because he does not work for or around Tepper and or what the city wants to do on this.

Blah blah blah... 

Archived